quick fix for leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2005, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
I went out to check " Egg Salad Annie" and OOOOO No a leak. The carpet just before the step up to the dinnette was wet. YUKkjppp4lvnnvnv''!!! Got to looking and found that I had just the right trailer level to cause the rain to run down and into the water heater access. By chance it ran down and found a way to run down the copper pipe into the area under the the sink , Then to the carpet. Well I first changed the angle of level by a bit that stopped it. The access has a cut out on its upper lip this allows water in. For now I went and got some Duct seal Putty and until it stops raining this will work. Duct seal is cheap and easy to use and remove We use it on the tugs I work on for just this kind of short time fix.
Glad I checked the trailer before I head to sea this week.
Have a Happy New Year.
Taylor the Sailor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
NOW you tell me

During a dry (Well, NOT raining) spell while in Portland, I grabbed a ladder and discovered the leak happening from my roof vent mounting. It was a couple screws with NO butyl tap under the outside lip!

I took the butyl tape and foil tape kindly given to me for just this purpose by one of our party goers in P Land and stuffed the leaky holes, remounted the rusted screws, covered the entire lip with butyl tape and covered THAT with foil tape.. 100% of the perimiter. No leak there anymore, it will get me home.

I did the same treatment around the front and rear windows on the inside, and just the foil tape outside.

My trailer looks like the Beverly Hillbillies wagon, but I am dry inside!

When I get home, I am going to check into your duck seal and keep that in the trailer. Sure wish I had it on the way up!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Quote:
NOW you tell me

During a dry (Well, NOT raining) spell while in Portland, I grabbed a ladder and discovered the leak happening from my roof vent mounting. It was a couple screws with NO butyl tap under the outside lip!

I took the butyl tape and foil tape kindly given to me for just this purpose by one of our party goers in P Land and stuffed the leaky holes, remounted the rusted screws, covered the entire lip with butyl tape and covered THAT with foil tape.. 100% of the perimiter. No leak there anymore, it will get me home.

I did the same treatment around the front and rear windows on the inside, and just the foil tape outside.

My trailer looks like the Beverly Hillbillies wagon, but I am dry inside!

When I get home, I am going to check into your duck seal and keep that in the trailer. Sure wish I had it on the way up!
Glad you found and stopped the leaks. Duct seal comes in a block it is similar to Butyl $2.50 at my local hardware store.
Good Luck Taylor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, weatherproofing, window leaks