Rain Cover For Fantastic Fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I had a Max air cover installed over the fantastic fan in my 16 ft Casita today at Camping World This is so the rain can not come in when the fantastic fan hood is open. I wanted air circulation even if raining.

I now notice that the vent cover only opens part way because the Max air cover blocks it from opening all the way. Is this going to be a problem.?
Does anyone else have this same problem or is it normal for it to be this way.??
Did Camping World put on the wrong cover?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Karalyn... That's the way the combo of that cover over that fan works. Any ventilation during a rain storm is better than none!!! You won't notice any reduction in air flow specially now you can use the fan or have the vent open, during a downpour!!! It does present one more plus for the MaxxFan with it's built in rain hood vs. the Fantastic Fan tho.
I bought the Maxxfan...my brother bought the Fantastic Fan, for our 13' Bolers. we installed the MaxxAir cover over his fan.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I noticed a huge reduction in air flow when I installed this cover?
While it is nice to not have to worry about the vent being open any more,I really don't get half the air in as I used to.

Luckily the Scamp has a huge Escape Hatch that is also a vent right next to the now stiffled fan vent.

I have to wonder now if the other competitors to the Max-Vent cover let any more air through and I notice they have even come out with a new model claiming more open area.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I owned a Casita I did the same thing, Fantastic fan with Max Air cover. I went to the hardware store and purchased two louvered plates which I used as SIDE vents to the Max air cover, obviously after creating an opening in each side of the cover. I didn't have a whole lot of experience with the fan before adding the cover with louvers though I knew there would be airflow restriction by adding the cover, this is what I'd read about air flow with the fan/cover combination. The fan/cover w/louvers combination gave me all the air flow I needed in the 16' casita. Russell
william russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #5

Does anyone have a rain cover that the fantastic fan cover still opens all the way with the rain cover on over it?? If so, what kind?

I am kinda worried that I might burn out the motor on my fantastic fan by having it running with the cover not raised all the way. I am wondering if I will get enough air to keep the fan cool enough?

Any opinions on that?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
not a problem,I've had mine on for 6 years w/o incident
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
When I was looking on line some of the covers were marked NOT for high volume fans.

Bill K

Quote:
Does anyone have a rain cover that the fantastic fan cover still opens all the way with the rain cover on over it?? If so, what kind?

I am kinda worried that I might burn out the motor on my fantastic fan by having it running with the cover not raised all the way. I am wondering if I will get enough air to keep the fan cool enough?

Any opinions on that?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1. the Max air cover blocks it from opening all the way. Is this going to be a problem.?
2. is it normal for it to be this way.??
3. Did Camping World put on the wrong cover?

This is a design feature. I have never seen a cover built tall enough to open the vent to the full vertical position. These covers are designed to be approximately the same height as a roof mounted A/C and are sloped in front for lessening of wind resistance. Your vent opens half-way inside at a 45<sup>o</sup> angle. I don't think opening it any wider brings any more air in.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. I feel much better knowing others have the same cover and have had no problems.
THANK YOU ALL

Old 06-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I just purchased THIS one. It is vented on 3 sides and is designed for high flow fans.

Reviews were good. We will see when it arrives.

And no, they don't allow the fan to open all the way.. but everyone else has said that :-P... so...

never mind.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Quote:
I just purchased THIS one. It is vented on 3 sides and is designed for high flow fans.

Reviews were good. We will see when it arrives.

And no, they don't allow the fan to open all the way.. but everyone else has said that :-P... so...

never mind.
I just had the same one installed last week. I haven't put my battery in the camper yet to see if the airflow is as good.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I had a Max air cover installed over the fantastic fan in my 16 ft Casita today at Camping World This is so the rain can not come in when the fantastic fan hood is open. I wanted air circulation even if raining.

I now notice that the vent cover only opens part way because the Max air cover blocks it from opening all the way. Is this going to be a problem.?
Does anyone else have this same problem or is it normal for it to be this way.??
Did Camping World put on the wrong cover?

We have this one and it allows the vent to fully open without restriction........

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-roof-vent.htm
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

A point to consider:

We have a MaxxAir Fan and the blower will not work unless the cover is ALL the way open.

Apparently, other fan brands don't have this requirement, but it is something to consider before buying.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
MaxAir has three vent covers.

o MaxAir - Original vent cover

o MaxAir II - Twice as much vent area as the original

o MaxAir Fan/Mate - Designed for high-powered ceiling fans like the Fan-Tastic fan

In my opinion, the MaxAir original vent cover is the wrong cover for the Fan-Tastic fan.

Dean
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #15

Looks like they sold me the wrong cover. I don't get as much air in the camper with that cover on.
It did leak in the rain too. I was so confident that I was safe from rain that I just kept on sleeping through the night.
I had a wet bed and rug in the morning Grrrrr
I trusted Camping world to know what they were selling me. Evedently they did not know ehat to install!