Rapid battery discharge in newer Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
As John (RASPY) said a quick way to check to see if you battery itself is any good...Charge it up, unhook it from any load, and check the volts between posts....say 13.2...Leave un hooked and wait a day and check volts again.
Any lose of voltage indicates the plates inside have been over-heated and shorting out itself.
You'll need a new battery
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
As Gerry and Raspy stated , you need to troubleshoot your system in parts not as a whole. Start with as Gerry suggested , charge up your battery , disconnect the battery from all loads and see if it holds a charge . If your battery is good then reconnect the charged battery and test with an amp meter to find out if there is a load on the battery.
If there is a load on the battery then test to see which DC circuit is drawing current.
You may have a resistance short in one of the DC circuits .
The resistance may be low enough to cause the battery to slowly drain but too high of a resistance to blow a fuse.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have NO clue as to why the "OP" will not find someone to stick a simple VOM in the line and see instantly if there's "fantom" amperage there! If there's not and the battery wont keep a charge as she describes, in my opinion, it's a BAD BATTERY! I feel I could diagnose this in about 1 min if I was there...but that's my point...so could someone else.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #24

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinanauman View Post
It is only 14 months old and has been serviced to check why it was running down. It was fine. I have a battery monitor that plugs into my cigarette lighter. How many volts is okay? On the back it shows 25% is 12.0 but mine drops below that within a few days. I understand these batteries are made to not be damaged by running them down but how low is too low?
You may still have a weak bad battery. Sometimes the testing at some shops don't really find the problem. We've run into that also. We had a problem one time with a bad fan belt on our motorhome. Everything worked great until you put the heater or windshield wipers on then there were problems with the alternator. Took it to 3 shops and they couldn't find a problem and said fan belt and alternator were fine. Finally the 4th shop said the belt was bad, replaced it and no more problems. Casita could have gotten a batch of bad batteries as it sounds like at least 2 of you have a similar problem. The deep cycle batteries can be run down quite low as that is their job. Of course it is not the best on them but it can be done once in a while. Maybe the previous owner overcharged it by leaving it plugged in to much and boiled the water out of it and ruined it as far as holding up. That can happen also. Another weird thing. Does your hot water heater work ok? My sister's quit working and after a lot of problems with the electrical system they found out the thing that heats the water had broken off and was shorting out inside the tank causing excessive draw on the 12V system. The water was not heating so they knew there was a problem in the tank somewhere. You could also see if somehow you could put a different battery in the trailer and see if it dies as fast also. Or charge yours up and unhook the cable and see if it dies. Of course without any draw it may hold up better.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, casita