Rare Boler 15 Foot (1500) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
hi,
I have the opportunity to pick up a 15' Boler for a reasonable price (1500 CDN). These are the issues, the outside of the Boler is in good shape but the inside has been gutted. There is nothing left inside, no furnace, no stove, no counters, no bed, no nothing. Is it good value for a back or will I just end up putting more money in than the trailer is worth. I've only seen one other 15 foot Boler for sale. It was priced at 5900 CDN. Don't know whether the guy sold it or not. Anyway, appreciate your advise.
donalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Very cool opportunity. The only opinion I would offer is that the frame, axel, wheels, and the shell better be in perfect condition, considering the work you are going to have to put into creating an interior. Let's see, $1000 for a fridge. Cost of Heater - $500? Cost of stove - $300? Cost of a bar sink - 100? 4-5 sheets of 1/4 plywood for finishings, Are the water tanks in place and usable? If not, and you want water, you have your work cut out. I am presuming you are handy and imaginative. Seriously consider not only buying the unit, but also buying a truck camper or used trailer to rip out all the fixtures and appliances and install into the boler.

Simply finishing the cupboards in my 1700 boler took the entire spring. Getting the exterior repainted took another entire spring.

If the unit was completely gutted inside, I question the condition of the remainder.

On the flip side, my proudest work of art (other than my children) is my reconditioned 1700. I tweaked it with a brand new fridge this summer and added hot water system it never had before.

Your $1500 investment will grow to at least $6000 before you are done....depending how far you want to take it. But you will have a work of art when done. People are constantly turning their heads when they see my rig being pulled down the highway.

Good luck in deciding.

Kevin.
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Kevin's prices sounds right - I would just mention that you probably you will want to have a decent workshop to either put it in or house outside in another shelter. If you do the job right (hopefully you are handy) then you will be able to sell it for what you put into it plus getting a chance to have it just the way you want it.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I would say it would depend on how motivated you are, how handy you are, and how much spare time you have.

If you are the kind of person who rebuilds old cars or houses that would be a plus. This would also give you access to good sources of supply.

If you start projects and they peter out, maybe you ought to think twice before starting another. There is also the physical aspect where you will have to be able to bend and crawl into small places and not have back problems. etc.

I found out that I was better at earning money at my regular job and buying something in better shape. Also it is much easier to repair something that already exists than it is to make it from scratch. You will basically be designing your own interior with all the experimental work that would entail.

But then you could make it the way YOU like it. Only you can consider all the facets of a project of this magnitude and make a decision knowing your personal situation.

I hope this helped you think and maybe consider some things you haven't before. GOOD LUCK!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Think of it as a clean slate, you can build it the way you want. There was one on ebay last week (see the referals). Copy the pictures because you won't get to see what the original layout was all too often. Every now and then somebody guts a trailer or there is a wreck that will have many of the parts that you need.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Send a message via AIM to georgia g
Quote:
Think of it as a clean slate, you can build it the way you want. There was one on ebay last week (see the referals). Copy the pictures because you won't get to see what the original layout was all too often. Every now and then somebody guts a trailer or there is a wreck that will have many of the parts that you need.
My husband and I bought a Trillium "Shell". The cost depends on if you are going to restore to original or just to what your needs are. We modified ours to meet our needs. We decided on all electric (with generator) so our purchases were much less. New frig $125, Stove on eBay under $100, used window A/C (craigslist) $35. Microwave $89. Mini blinds $35. etc. We knew we were not going to do any primitive camping so this works for us. Many, many trips to Home Depot. COULD NEVER HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THIS SITE. georgia g
Attached Thumbnails
EGG3.jpg  
georgia g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Send a message via AIM to georgia g
Quote:
My husband and I bought a Trillium "Shell". The cost depends on if you are going to restore to original or just to what your needs are. We modified ours to meet our needs. We decided on all electric (with generator) so our purchases were much less. New frig $125, Stove on eBay under $100, used window A/C (craigslist) $35. Microwave $89. Mini blinds $35. etc. We knew we were not going to do any primitive camping so this works for us. Many, many trips to Home Depot. COULD NEVER HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THIS SITE. georgia g
My first attempt to add pictures and only 1 showed up??
Attached Thumbnails
EGG1.jpg   EGG2.jpg  

EGG4.jpg  
georgia g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler