Re-Upholstering a 17' Boler - ?????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1979 Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Re-Upholstering a 17' Boler - ??????

Hey there and thanks for reading. We are interested in jazzing up our Boler by re-upholstering the cushions. I went out to 2 different places and was quoted $1600 + tax and using the old foam or $1900.00 + tax with all new memory foam. I'm finding this a bit too steep.

Is there another way of jazzing up the cushions without having to spend so much??? What have other people done? Please note that I cannot sew.
geishadiscoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Are the Scamp cushions the same? If so you might buy an upholstery set from them.
The set for the 13' Scamp which fits the 13' Boler is $299.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
You can also look on Craig's List for a search on "Upholstery". I found several retired upholsters and folks working out of their homes that were much more reasonable.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Throw pillows? Unless the upholstery is shot, I'd live with it and add color/texture elsewhere... like curtains. Eventually all fabric falls apart, but I'm the type to wait until needed. I'd rather spend the money going places to camp. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
Price seems to be a bit ridiculous so I think we'll just end up putting slip covers on the existing cushions to liven them up a bit. Thanks for everyone's help here. Definitely use the money to do some camping.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have made cushions for years and it's not all that hard....... buy yourself a piece of foam and cheap fabric and practice,practice, practice. Just turn one of your cushions inside out to see how it's fabricated and by about the third try you should have it down. Put a heavier needle/thread in your home sewing machine and when you reach seams and overlaps turn the wheel by hand so you don't break the needle.....You don't need the zippers just a couple of dress snaps would work...... when reaching a corner in the cushion make a couple of relief cuts in your 1/2" seam allowance to sew around the corner.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
Cushion Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by geishadiscoboy View Post
Price seems to be a bit ridiculous so I think we'll just end up putting slip covers on the existing cushions to liven them up a bit. Thanks for everyone's help here. Definitely use the money to do some camping.
Making covers is the easiest job in upholstery. There are many short cuts you can take. Wrap the rectangular cushion as if it were a package. Instead of closing "the package" with tape,hand sew it closed with strong thread. I've used kite string for thread. It works well.

If your foam cushion isn't rectangular, you'll have to adapt and modify your folding technique.

There is no way that an upholstery job should cost so much! It seems your quote came from someone who didn't want the work, or had way too many overhead expenses. I recently recovered the cushions in a 16' Casita, with welting on all cushions. Included were the 2 foam slabs that cushion the
bunks. I used the foam that was there. If it turns out to not be a perfect "sleeper", I've bought two Thermorest Self -Inflating camping mattresses to place under the sleep area. Total cost, including the Thermorests, was about $250.. ( Thermorests were $65.00 each)

Shop around for fabric that is tightly woven, has some texture to the surface, and has a multi-colored design. These 3 features should be considered for use for an extended time. Mona Simpson
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
mac

Name: peter
Trailer: '80 Boler 17'
British Columbia
Quote:
Hey there and thanks for reading. We are interested in jazzing up our Boler by re-upholstering the cushions. I went out to 2 different places and was quoted $1600 + tax and using the old foam or $1900.00 + tax with all new memory foam. I'm finding this a bit too steep.

Is there another way of jazzing up the cushions without having to spend so much??? What have other people done? Please note that I cannot sew.
I picked up some foam 4" slabs from ebay (med/firm, 33lb I believe), fabric from FabricGuru.com and am having a local upholsterer who works from home put it all together including curtains. It'll run me about $700 when done. It's still not cheap but the old stuff is 30 years old and has served it's time. New fabric, foam and curtains has a dramatic effect.

Cheers.
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #9

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
New..Everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
I picked up some foam 4" slabs from ebay (med/firm, 33lb I believe), fabric from FabricGuru.com and am having a local upholsterer who works from home put it all together including curtains. It'll run me about $700 when done. It's still not cheap but the old stuff is 30 years old and has served it's time. New fabric, foam and curtains has a dramatic effect.

Cheers.
You made a sound decision. Knowing the tricks of the trade....is indeed helpful.
Spending 2 years taking upholstery classes gave me the know-how to do the job correctly.

Sounds as if you were very lucky to find an upholster who works from his home. You will be very happy with new cushions and covers. Check out 1990 Casita Re-Do, Feb 13 and 16th, 2011. I did a combination of fabric. Top is stripes, bottom is paisley....color combo is the same. Did four large pillows in co-ordinating fabrics. Curtain fabric is textured, but similar color as interior walls so as to make the inside seem more spacious. At least that was my plan.
mona simpson
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for everybody's help here regarding my cushions for my Boler.

For those of you looking for cushion covers for your Boler, contact Sherry at RV Workshop at RVWorkshop.com 1800-929-1231. Just got a quote from her for some Navy Cushions for our 17' Boler and they are very reasonable at $400.00 approx. with $25.00 shipping within the States. We sent her measurements and diagrams for all 5 Cushions plus the Gaucho Bed/Bench Seat. Not getting any commission here but very happy with the Quote so I ordered them. This quote was better than the $1600 & $1900 for the cushions and foam. Thought I would share.

Once I get them, I will post pics.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #11

Name: Gina, Clayton and Otis & Lena(woof!)
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Registry
1980 17' Boler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post

Cheers.
HI!

We've been looking for someone who also owns a 1980 17' Boler. Do you have pictures of your 17' we can view? We got our 3 weeks ago and would like to see others for ideas. Ours has been modified a bit and would appreciate to see what it would have looked like previous.

Are you in the Trailer Registry here?
Thanks.
Canada
Bolero1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #12

Name: Gina, Clayton and Otis & Lena(woof!)
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for everybody's help here regarding my cushions for my Boler.

For those of you looking for cushion covers for your Boler, contact Sherry at RV Workshop at RVWorkshop.com 1800-929-1231. Just got a quote from her for some Navy Cushions for our 17' Boler and they are very reasonable at $400.00 approx. with $25.00 shipping within the States. We sent her measurements and diagrams for all 5 Cushions plus the Gaucho Bed/Bench Seat. Not getting any commission here but very happy with the Quote so I ordered them. This quote was better than the $1600 & $1900 for the cushions and foam. Thought I would share.

Once I get them, I will post pics.
Hello,
Have you had a chance to post pics of your new upholstery?
Thanks
Canada
Bolero1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Your in luck!!! There is a party in Port Moody who attended our last meet who does amazing covers! She has lots of fun fabrics and brought samples of her work and they were really well done! Wish I had found her before I did my own!!! The prices for a 13' are $400 for the rear area and the front bunks!

She has just to set up her web site called Cushion & Curtain Set

Her phone number is under the contact tab on the website.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler