Rebuilt 5th wheel Scamp - how much? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Rebuilt 5th wheel Scamp - how much?

So am going to look at a 1998 completely rebuilt 5th wheel scamp with solar panel setup. Not sure how much something like that is worth. If everything is really nice and almost good as new, how much should that go for?

Are we talking $5000. $8000? $10000? $13000?

Know must here know these RV inside and out. What do you think? Am trying to ignore the NADA price.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:56 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
So am going to look at a 1998 completely rebuilt 5th wheel scamp with solar panel setup. Not sure how much something like that is worth. If everything is really nice and almost good as new, how much should that go for?

Are we talking $5000. $8000? $10000? $13000?

Know must here know these RV inside and out. What do you think? Am trying to ignore the NADA price.
Not trying to be facetious here, but NADA is clueless when it comes to the value of molded fiberglass trailers. You also have to consider the purpose of NADA. I believe NADA values are purposely low ball so that people in the vehicle trade can make as much money as possible and in doing so, can show someone their vehicle is not worth what it really might be worth.
But as to your original question, a 1998 Scamp 19 is worth whatever YOU are willing to pay for it. If that amount is lower than what the owner is willing to sell it for, it ultimately will be someone else's trailer.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You can get on the classified archives here and at fiberglass-RV-4sale.com. Find as many Scamp 5ers as you can in a range of years around 1998. Note location and season as well as condition, features, and price.

It will be a pretty wide range, I'm sure. When you look at yours, you will have to make a judgment about how it fits in that range. Like vintage autos, a well-executed restoration is worth a lot more than a decent unrestored original, and even then the seller may not be recovering all of their renovation costs. The main thing to avoid is cosmetic-only "restorations" that don't deal with underlying issues- chassis and floor, electrical and plumbing, resealing the shell. Inspect those things carefully.

Add to everything else the convenience factor- you might find a better deal, but it might be a thousand miles away and/or five months in the future. Now is peak season.

Know that some Scamp 19s will require axle modifications to use with newer pick-ups due to the height of the bed rails. It depends on whether it has the stock suspension or the optional 3" lift, as well as what you plan to pull it with. Scamp can give you the bed rail height ranges for the standard and raised suspensions.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would like to know what "rebuilt" means. One person's rebuilt is another person's basic maintenance. Also would like to know the seller's skill set, or the skills of the rebuilder. There are a couple of guys on this forum that rebuild trailers that do awesome jobs. I'd gladly pay a PREMIUM for one of their rebuilds, knowing everything from the floor, reseated all windows, cleaned and polished, etc. was taken care of.

1989, you are talking about a trailer that is almost 30 years old. Axle, appliances, plumbing, floor, heater, windows, vents, frame, all need to be looked at.

+1 NADA is pretty much worthless on molded trailers. Check ones that have sold here for guidance. Molded trailers in very good condition hold their value quite well!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #5

South Carolina
Problem is you can't get a loan on it from the bank. So all the risk is on the buyer. Thus why am going to get a third party to inspect it if I buy. And give estimates.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure having a loan removes any risk from the buyer. You're still on the hook for the loan amount even if the purchase turns out to be a lemon. Plenty of folks have bought brand-new RVs that turned into headaches long before the loan was paid off.

Rather than paying a third party, could you recruit someone with RV experience (molded fiberglass experience even better) to go with you and help with the inspection? No third party cares more about getting it right than you do, and you'll be hard-pressed to find one with much knowledge of molded fiberglass values. There's a downloadable Buyers Checklist here.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
We did a complete restoration on a 1983 5 th wheel and got $5200 for her. She WAS showroom ready, however and came with bedding dishes and kitchen ware. Named her Eliza from My Fair Lady. ❤ Alabama couple bought her as their (belated) honeymoon cottage --remaming her The Queen Elizabeth! ❤
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #8

South Carolina
After further actual business bank-insurance financial investigation of this situation an finding no insurance company that would pay me back if something happened to a rebuilt/restored scamp. If the NADA value is say $5000 and it depreciated to $2000 that's all you get.

Am still investigating other insurance companies that will cover older but well restored RV in any context. Else if a storm destroys the RV or if it get stolen, you get barely anything for that RV no mater what you think it's worth. No mater what paper receipts and expert testimony. You only get the NADA value minus depreciation.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
After further actual business bank-insurance financial investigation of this situation an finding no insurance company that would pay me back if something happened to a rebuilt/restored scamp. If the NADA value is say $5000 and it depreciated to $2000 that's all you get.

Am still investigating other insurance companies that will cover older but well restored RV in any context. Else if a storm destroys the RV or if it get stolen, you get barely anything for that RV no mater what you think it's worth. No mater what paper receipts and expert testimony. You only get the NADA value minus depreciation.

There is insurance called AGREED VALUE that is possible to get with a good underwriter. But that is not easy. Need to produce all receipts from a actual restoration company, to show what is put into the restored RV. Much harder to do than NADA value.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
With an ACV policy you can generally do better than NADA in the event of a loss by providing comps- evidence that the actual market value of a similar age trailer is higher. You will have to be persistent with your insurer. The classified archives here and at fiberglass-RV-4sale.com can help there.

Several forum members reported an initial lowball offer from their insurer following a total loss, but held out for and received a much better settlement after providing comps.

However, if your trailer has undergone a major restoration to the point that its value is higher than anything comparable, an agreed-value policy is the way to go.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

South Carolina
But is it not sensible to get a COMPARABLE VALUE policy written that way? Instead of paying lawyers and judges to give you that upon loss event?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
I'm not familiar with that type of policy.

In the cases I referenced, it didn't take judges or lawyers, just some homework researching the comps. In the most recent case I know of, the insurance returned with an acceptable settlement within a few days.

I suspect judges and courts are off the table, in any case, if it's a claim against your own insurance. Pretty sure most policies have a binding arbitration clause.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Did a little more checking... I see actual cash value policies and replacement value policies. I am not aware that replacement value policies are written for vehicles, other than a few that have a special clause when a near-new vehicle is totaled.

However, this article has some information about your right to negotiate actual cash value in the event of a loss.
http://m.carsdirect.com/car-insuranc...ue-ff-your-car
Old 04-08-2017, 12:51 AM   #14

South Carolina
Rebuilt 5th wheel Scamp - how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Did a little more checking... I see actual cash value policies and replacement value policies. I am not aware that replacement value policies are written for vehicles, other than a few that have a special clause when a near-new vehicle is totaled.

However, this article has some information about your right to negotiate actual cash value in the event of a loss.
http://m.carsdirect.com/car-insuranc...ue-ff-your-car

When looking at GOODSAMS web site to get a quote they have a REPLACEMENT VALUE option to select. Resulting premium is $100 more per year. Something to consider. But still replacement value of the NADA and not of some antique rebuilt trailer.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
I'd check the fine print on that. I'll bet it's for new trailers. A replacement value policy normally means replacement with new. An actual cash value policy means they pay you the fair market value at the time of loss. Less deductibles, of course.

Better yet, call them and talk to a representative.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you restrict yourself to used molded fiberglass trailers priced at NADA or lower, you are not going to find one.

Personally, I have never selected a vehicle based on whether I would get a full payout from insurance if it was totaled. I do try to get a good deal, but "good deal" is based on what they are selling for, rather than what NADA thinks they should sell for. I would love to see NADA value for a mid 1970s Trillium.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp