refinishing the interior of the captain - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Member
 
Bryan B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Bryan
Trailer: 1986 Captain, Predom Caravan
Michigan
Posts: 30
Hello, being a newbie i'm not sure if I put my question in the right forum. I would like to do the decopage method on my 83 Captain and could use some help. Going blind here on my first fiberglass trailer. I know about the insolation and am doing that today but the decopage itself is going to be trial and error. She is completly gutted so I could get behind the cabinets and then rebuild as I get done. Thanks for any input Bryan
__________________

Bryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA/ 2016 Ram V6 Eco Diesel
Ontario
Posts: 3,939
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Brian... What material are you lining the walls,and covering the insulation with???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Harry Young's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Posts: 437
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Post

From a art point of view its interesting, however I am curious what materials you are going to introduce to basically a plastic trailer with a certain chemistry, also what are the long term effects will these materials have on each other when installed on a plastic base? Do you live in a high moisture area? Will the condensation that these little guys are known for cause problems in your dyes or water based inks? Will you possibly have a weathering or rot issue in these materials?

Most of my battles have been for comforts or to improve the quality of construction...I am somewhat spartan as far as my looks go but have met people who really have an eye for aesthetics's and have made their trailers pallets so to speak and do it tastefully.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Member
 
Bryan B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Bryan
Trailer: 1986 Captain, Predom Caravan
Michigan
Posts: 30
Quote:
Hi: Brian... What material are you lining the walls,and covering the insulation with???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Well my plan hair brained or not is that being stripped to fiberglass inside, I would start with reflectix insulation applied with 3m super hi strength 90, then apply crumpuled, then flattened, thin tan craft paper in a collage type of look with the same 3m 90. After that, apply a coat of tinted glaze for a antique/leather look. Maybe I've just got too much time on hand to think, but until I try this. who knows it might work and actually look good. If not, I'll do something else, Hey, I still have the shell LOL.
Bryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,970
Hummm, I thought this topic sounded familiar. Bryan, Stacy did this technique on the inside of her Boler and then was looking for suggestions to "fix it." Think she had a peeling problem Anyway, you may want to review her topic, then ask more questions
For those that have replaced the interior covering..., I'm begging for help!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
David & Leslie's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Posts: 705
Hi Bryan - we offer one BIG caution ... CONDENSATION! If you live/camp in a humid or cold climate, you will have lots of moisture if/when you use propane heat, and to a lesser degree with electic heat. Your idea sounds creative, but you gotta consider some limitations.
Take care, L 'n D
__________________
“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” A. Einstein
David & Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA/ 2016 Ram V6 Eco Diesel
Ontario
Posts: 3,939
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Brian... Well they say "You can't make an omelette without breaking the eggs" but if it was me I would be using a more serviceable interior liner. I really like the aircraft liner in our Escape Hatch. If I swat a bug it just wipes clean with a moist towelette!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
I really like the aircraft liner in our Escape Hatch. If I swat a bug it just wipes clean with a moist towelette!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf,

Thought those Escapes came with screen doors!
__________________
Owner:
Fiberglass-RV-4Sale.com
Scamp Owners International
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Coach George Jessup's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 358
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
They now sell 12v de humidifiers. It is basicly a devise with a fan that sucks air thru it. Inside it is a cool surface that attracts the moisture. This cool surface is created the same as the 12v six pack coolers do.

I got a used one at a garage sell (12v cooler) to use in my cabin as a home made dehumidifier. Plan was to use it along with my Mr. Buddy heater. So far have not needed it cause I guess My Mr. Buddy does not heat enough to cause any condensation. That and its not on for long. Warm up the cabin at night best I can, then shut it down and go to bed wearing longjones; a 40deg cheap sleeping bab and a cheap sleeping bag flannel liner. it gets around 35 deg. at night.

This will change as it gets a little colder. That combo is a little uncomfortably cold; so thinking on adding another flannel liner or adding a quilt or simular. Im not spending much time in my home cabin right now. Got no way to get home but think we are closer to finding the electrical/computer faults in my car. It's been out of commision for over three months now. I sleeping on the floor of my office right now. So not yet able to experement with the 12v cooler as a de-huidifier
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA/ 2016 Ram V6 Eco Diesel
Ontario
Posts: 3,939
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Alf,

Thought those Escapes came with screen doors!
Hi: Greg...and very fine screen they are but alas... self closing??? If you want it closed "do it your self"!!! The interior is so warm and inviting even the bugs can't resist a tour!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Member
 
Bryan B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Bryan
Trailer: 1986 Captain, Predom Caravan
Michigan
Posts: 30
Quote:
They now sell 12v de humidifiers. It is basicly a devise with a fan that sucks air thru it. Inside it is a cool surface that attracts the moisture. This cool surface is created the same as the 12v six pack coolers do.

I got a used one at a garage sell (12v cooler) to use in my cabin as a home made dehumidifier. Plan was to use it along with my Mr. Buddy heater. So far have not needed it cause I guess My Mr. Buddy does not heat enough to cause any condensation. That and its not on for long. Warm up the cabin at night best I can, then shut it down and go to bed wearing longjones; a 40deg cheap sleeping bab and a cheap sleeping bag flannel liner. it gets around 35 deg. at night.

This will change as it gets a little colder. That combo is a little uncomfortably cold; so thinking on adding another flannel liner or adding a quilt or simular. Im not spending much time in my home cabin right now. Got no way to get home but think we are closer to finding the electrical/computer faults in my car. It's been out of commision for over three months now. I sleeping on the floor of my office right now. So not yet able to experement with the 12v cooler as a de-huidifier
I'm still kicking around the paper idea just not as hard as before the info I've been getting on the condensation. I guess when I get the foil up I'm going to have to commit. I have talked to someone about getting backless carpet so it would be more flexible. If I do go carpet would that take in the condensation I would be getting??? Thanks Bryan
Bryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
james kent's Avatar
 
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Posts: 2,938
If I swat a bug it just wipes clean with a moist towelette!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
[/quote]
Alf.
You got bugs?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
Member
 
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Posts: 43
Send a message via AIM to georgia g
Quote:
I'm still kicking around the paper idea just not as hard as before the info I've been getting on the condensation. I guess when I get the foil up I'm going to have to commit. I have talked to someone about getting backless carpet so it would be more flexible. If I do go carpet would that take in the condensation I would be getting??? Thanks Bryan
Been reading your blog because we are redoing the inside walls of our 73 Trillium. We have opted for carpet and purchased the shag carpeting yesterday at Home Depot. You mentioned "backless" carpeting. What is that? And I still have not gotten an exact adhesive to use. Brush it on? Spray it on? georgia
georgia g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Coach George Jessup's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 358
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Something that can absorb and hold air moisture/Humidity mounted on the walls etc. would concern me. Sounds like an absorbant that will breed mold etc.

Just rings a loud bell to me as a NO NO


Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
Member
 
Bryan B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Bryan
Trailer: 1986 Captain, Predom Caravan
Michigan
Posts: 30
Quote:
Been reading your blog because we are redoing the inside walls of our 73 Trillium. We have opted for carpet and purchased the shag carpeting yesterday at Home Depot. You mentioned "backless" carpeting. What is that? And I still have not gotten an exact adhesive to use. Brush it on? Spray it on? georgia

Hello, The backless carpet is something a carpet installer had mentioned to me. I have'nt seen it but it sounds like it is a outdoor/ indoor thin carpet he has. I would still use the 3m super strength 90 spray to put it up. I'm new at this so any thing I do is going to be trial and error sort of thing.
Bryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #16
Member
 
Martin in Fonthill's Avatar
 
Trailer: Captain
Posts: 30
Hello Bryan, I just noticed this post, I am refurbishing a Captain as well. I gutted the interior and replaced half of the floor boards. ( Lots of leaks through the marker lights ) I started to line the interior but had to put the trailer away untill the weather warms up. We are using indoor/outdoor carpet, on my last trailer (Cadet) I tried to glue it with a spray on glue which was a failure due to the residue of the foam we scraped off the walls. We then switched to a good quality carpet glue which worked great, this is what I am using now.

Martin
Martin in Fonthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Cadet
Posts: 6
I just purchased what I think is a "Captain". Is it?

I was thinking on sanding the interior walls and painting them. Should I be looking at covering them?

donnie
Attached Thumbnails
inside1.jpg   outside1.jpg  

Donnie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Member
 
Bryan B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Bryan
Trailer: 1986 Captain, Predom Caravan
Michigan
Posts: 30
Quote:
I just purchased what I think is a "Captain". Is it?

I was thinking on sanding the interior walls and painting them. Should I be looking at covering them?

donnie
Hello Donnie, Sorry for the late response but I have'nt checked the forums in awhile . I do think the unit you have is a Captain, How ever there is a little brother to it called the cadet witch is a bit smaller. I am in the middle of putting up reflectix insolaton on the walls with 3m HI-Strength spray adhesive then I have to make a choice for the walls. I personally would put up a type of insolation and cover over it like fabric or carpet. I am looking at the paper idea still. Soon as the weather gets a bit warmer I can get back to it full speed ahead, summers a commin! Thanks Bryan
__________________

Bryan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
captain


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refinishing the Interior Rick Harmer Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 11-28-2009 06:40 PM
The Captain is ready to roll. Bryan B. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 8 11-03-2009 06:42 AM
My captain getting ready for a make over! Bryan B. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 11-29-2008 07:23 PM
captain trailers Bryan B. General Chat 2 10-19-2008 01:03 PM
Predom N126D or Captain Trailer Lorraine K General Chat 11 03-23-2006 06:07 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×