Refrigerator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Refrigerator

Hi! Since we're shopping for a Scamp, I am curious to know if you are happy with the size of your refrigerator - 1.9 or 4.6, or ice box? In other words have you found it to be too small and need to take an additional ice chest, or too big and you wish it was smaller so you would have additional space? I appreciate any tips or suggestions you have!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
How many will be camping with you? What will you be carrying in your fridge?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
JBB

South Carolina
Number of People

Most of the time it will be just the 2 of us but my father-in-law will travel with us some too b
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
our 4.6 is to big for me, to small for my wife, i can live on cheese,venison sticks and beverage of my choice.....evidently she needs more.....another thing with the smaller fridge if its packed it will not cool well
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Small is good and then get a cooler for the overflow if you need it. I have a 1.9 12v compressor style fridge. No problem cooling regardless of how full it is.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
JBB

South Carolina
It has been 30 years since I camped in a camper and the one that we were in was very old and you couldn't put anything in the refrigerator until you got where ever you were going. So I'm going to have to learn how to take what we need vs buying when we arrive at our destination.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
We use a 1.9 cu.ft. (54 liters) DC compressor fridge. We usually put our food in the fridge and carry a cooler for drinks. It works great for two people and two dogs, but if I were buying new or had more space I'd go larger for the ease of packing it. I think it really boils down to how much food you eat or like to have with you.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have the standard 1.9 cubic foot fridge in our 13' Scamp. I don't think I would the bigger one. We travel (snow bird) for about 3 months in the winter and take several shorter trips through the rest of the year. My biggest complaint is that if will freeze stuff on the bottom shelf if you aren't somewhat careful. That's running on propane.
As I understand things the bigger fridge requires battery power to run the control panel. Since we camp without power almost always the extra drain on the battery would not be welcome.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I've got the largest when I ordered mine I guess 4.6 ft one. I like the larger size. plus I can put a 1/2 gal ice cream in freezer and ice trays/ frozen food. I've thought about getting a chest one like the ARB freezer to for more frozen food storage. But I'm full time in mine. The question is how do you plan on using yours? weekends, weeks on end, boondocking, long trips.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator