Refrigerator at the front? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #1

Name: Kristopher
Trailer: 197x Boler
British Columbia
Refrigerator at the front?

So many questions and ideas running through my brain as I am deciding a new layout to the 13' Boler. I have decided on moving the Refrigerator to the front, at the door entry, since that is the only space I have for it in my design. Also I believe having easy access from outside (just reach in without going into the trailer) makes sense.

My concern is how to deal with the venting. One option is to seal up using a lower and upper hatch instaed of vents and while driving just close them and turn off the fridge. When at the site, open up the hatches for proper venting.

Second option would be to put in the normal vents and make a cover to protect them if it is raining, since my fear would be that rain would get driven in. Now the cover could be tight and we turn off the fridge for the drive or maybe make a molded copy of the surface and space it off with standoffs so that the direct rain would not hit the vents but there is still space to let air flow.

Third option is to just have regular vents with no cover but as stated wouldn't rain be a big problem and would the hot air even escape if the wind is blowing into the exhaust vent?

I haven't seen another trailer put it in the front probably for these concerns but it seems that it could work but just needs to be designed more carefully.

Roof venting I have considered but how would a chimney look instead of just some vents. I plan on using Rhino liner on the lower front so these things may be able to blend easier than if it were painted.

Any suggestions, ideas or warnings are greatly appreciated.
Sleeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeka View Post
So many questions and ideas running through my brain as I am deciding a new layout to the 13' Boler. I have decided on moving the Refrigerator to the front, at the door entry, since that is the only space I have for it in my design. Also I believe having easy access from outside (just reach in without going into the trailer) makes sense.

My concern is how to deal with the venting. One option is to seal up using a lower and upper hatch instaed of vents and while driving just close them and turn off the fridge. When at the site, open up the hatches for proper venting.

Second option would be to put in the normal vents and make a cover to protect them if it is raining, since my fear would be that rain would get driven in. Now the cover could be tight and we turn off the fridge for the drive or maybe make a molded copy of the surface and space it off with standoffs so that the direct rain would not hit the vents but there is still space to let air flow.

Third option is to just have regular vents with no cover but as stated wouldn't rain be a big problem and would the hot air even escape if the wind is blowing into the exhaust vent?

I haven't seen another trailer put it in the front probably for these concerns but it seems that it could work but just needs to be designed more carefully.

Roof venting I have considered but how would a chimney look instead of just some vents. I plan on using Rhino liner on the lower front so these things may be able to blend easier than if it were painted.

Any suggestions, ideas or warnings are greatly appreciated.

I have also thought about putting a fridge at the front, but did not do it because of the venting issue. It is not so much from rain, but from wind and also road spray from the tow vehicle. We also run our fridge on propane while travelling, which would be impossible if the vents had to be closed or if the vents were in the front of the trailer.

If your venting could be on the side of the trailer, then this would not be such an issue. Could the vents be angled to the side, or your fridge be set at a 45 degree angle in a front corner and the vents facing sideways?

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeka View Post
Is there room enough for the fridge in that spot taking into consideration the curvature of the trailer? I am thinking about the AC units that Casita installs in their Deluxe 16' (with the front bath) The closet is in the "corner" between the bathroom and the entry door. Is that the approximate position you are considering?

An AC unit is a "shallower" (front-to-back) cube than a small refer is. I fear that the refer would stick out and block part of your doorway.

I HAVE seen front Ice Boxes, but they aren't as deep (front-to-back) as a refer, nor do they need venting to the exterior. The only front refrigerator I have seen is in a T@B, BUT that is a square corner and a Boler is rounded.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

British Columbia
The 1.7 cubic foot Dometic fits in that spot when lift up to the bench height so it follows the curve outwards.

I will have to think about turning it at a 45 degree angle as an option. I wouldn't think you could vent sideways but if it were a duct that angle gradually then it may work. I'm not worried about the intake because that can be placed underneath with a grill where only a little road spray may hit. It wouldn't be any worse than what hits it at the side.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Weight up front is always a consideration.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
Yeah, something to consider. The 3-way in my Scamp is located right over the axle.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
That is a good point. And also you need to have enough room to get the thing out to service it. The burner jet is supposed to be cleaned regularly and you almost have to pull the fridge to access it. That means another 24 inches plus, if you have to turn it to get it out the door*

Unless you're going all-electric and just putting in a dorm fridge. Those are relatively light.

I must have done this six times in the process of doing that crazy Dometic RM-4223 install. See, the RM-2193 was the drop in replacement. But it's only 1.9 cubic feet, and no icebox, and no door storage. But I had to be CRAZY and try to shoehorn a 2.5CF fridge in there, because it was $600 to play the game and I can't take half a step backwards.

I got it in though. I don't know if it's *ever* coming out, but I got it in.

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
t@b trailer has/had the frig up front. Been years since I have looked at their yahoo group. Our friends had the ice box model, or I would send them a message. Well below zero here, maybe in boredom I'll look at the T@b site tomorrow.

I really can't remember if there was a problem. For pictures, there are a couple of the front inside at this URL.

t@b trailer - Google Search

Oh, that is a long wrap, Ill go try it out.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #9

Since we are ice chest people I was not too interested when I tried to do a refrigerator search on the T@b yahoo group. Seems there was discussion about the fan and thermometer. Someone might have done a mod to get some additional ventilation out the side.

Sorry I can't be more help, it has been many years since I looked at T@b forum.

I would not want that much weight in the front.

Refrigerator, awning, closet all on the curb side? In our Scamp that is also the side the water tank would be if we had one.

T@b had the small water tank in the front driver side and frige in the front curb side with stove in between, way back before we got the Scamp.

Nancy
Old 02-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #10

British Columbia
That's great. Didn't realize the T@B trailers had the front fridge but that is exactly what I'm thinking for position. Farther away from the door because of the curve but basically the same. I see they have a vent on the side but how would they get the heat from the back of the fridge to flow sideways and out efficiently. From what I have read, it requires a narrow channel not just opening up to a side pocket which is frowned upon as the air doesn't flow the.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #11

Here is another site. I did a search for T@B trailer refrigerator and found this link. If the URL is good you might be able to contact this person to see what/why he did what he did.

Als Tab Mods: Refer air flow vent system

Nancy
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #12

British Columbia
It looks like he added flashing behind the vent grill so water wouldn't get in. Also noticed the air holes below the fridge. Can the air intake for the fridge come from the inside of the trailer like that or does the back of the fridge need to be completely separate? I would love to allow fresh air from the interior just like that if I could. I don't see an intake vent on the T@B so maybe you can.

I have now drawn out in tape the possibility of running the exhaust up to the roof up the corner and building a corner cabinet to hide the stack. Good idea? Seems like a roof vent would be the best.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #13

You might find it interesting to scroll down and read about the refrigerator mod in this link. Also you could search this site for refrigerator venting, if you haven't already done so.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ess-45046.html

Tags
refrigerator