Refrigerator solution while on the road - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #81

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Boler View Post
If you have solar panels 12v works good.
That's my next project: solar. (Anything to put off rust-proofing the frame of my Casita. . .)

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #82

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Here is my solution. I tow my Escape 19' with the fridge on propane most of the time (except for ferries). However, I also carry a cooler with a loosely fitting lid inside the trailer that is full of dry ice. As the dry ice warms up, it releases CO2, which we all know is a great fire suppressant. The resulting higher concentration of CO2 inside my trailer almost totally eliminates any risk there is due to my propane fridge exploding and the trailer catching on fire.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #83

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Here is my solution. I tow my Escape 19' with the fridge on propane most of the time (except for ferries). However, I also carry a cooler with a loosely fitting lid inside the trailer that is full of dry ice. As the dry ice warms up, it releases CO2, which we all know is a great fire suppressant. The resulting higher concentration of CO2 inside my trailer almost totally eliminates any risk there is due to my propane fridge exploding and the trailer catching on fire.
Right. . . No sarc tag?

Don't go to sleep in there, or the CO2 settling inside will asphyxiate you. Remember that lakeside village in Africa:

Gas cloud kills Cameroon villagers - Aug 21, 1986 - HISTORY.com

Not likely you could create enough concentration to either asphyxiate you or stop a fire, though.

Of course the rational solution is to turn off the fridge, and use a little of that dry ice to keep your food cold.

/Mr Lynn

Old 08-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #84

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Right. . . No sarc tag?

Don't go to sleep in there, or the CO2 settling inside will asphyxiate you. Remember that lakeside village in Africa:

Gas cloud kills Cameroon villagers - Aug 21, 1986 - HISTORY.com

Not likely you could create enough concentration to either asphyxiate you or stop a fire, though.

Of course the rational solution is to turn off the fridge, and use a little of that dry ice to keep your food cold.

/Mr Lynn
Notice the in my post Mr. Lynn. That indicates a little bit of humor for those that were not able to recognize it.

The irrational fears that some people have regarding the safety of propane devices is highly amusing. I have lived and worked safely with propane devices (and natural gas devices) my entire life and have no qualms about travelling with the fridge on propane in my camper. I even use a propane stove, hot water heater, furnace, BBQ, and fire bowl when I am in camp, and so far have not blown myself or anyone else up. Now my single-burner Optimus back-packing stove running off of Naptha gas is another story.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #85

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Notice the in my post Mr. Lynn. That indicates a little bit of humor for those that were not able to recognize it.
I saw that, but wondered if some might still take your post seriously. I tend to be a bit of a worrywart, which is why I also think turning off the propane while on the road is a good idea. There are enough hazards on the highway without adding to them unnecessarily. And that's a rational assessment.

/Mr Lynn

Old 08-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #86

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
I saw that, but wondered if some might still take your post seriously.
/Mr Lynn
I'm one who missed the humor

I thought there's a really serious paranoid person

I run the refrigerator on propane 99% of the time because it works better
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #87

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
I lean to the fence side that says it's OK to run the propane fridge while traveling. Two weekends ago we were headed up Snoqualmie Pass with Bigfoot in tow and the fridge running on propane. The driver's side trailer tire blew out at 65 and after a WILD ride across 2 lanes to the right shoulder and heart rate stabilization we got out to see what happened. Immediately SWMBO heard the distinct sound of hissing propane. One of the pigtails failed and was leaking where the hose exits the acme nut, effectively bypassing the safeguard that closes the line when the flow gets too high. I turned it off, no damage as a result of the propane leak.

I still believe it's OK to travel with fridge running. I no longer believe it's OK to shop price alone when purchasing things like the pigtails I replaced 2 months ago.

For those with inquiring minds the tire was a 4 year old Marathon correctly inflated. AAA responded and we were back on the road with the spare mounted within 2 hours. The only damages were tire and rim and a broken diverter valve from shifting things in the plumbing hatch. Stopped on the way home to get new tires and rims.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #88

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I feel lucky I don't have to make a decision to make travel with fridge on propane on or off :-) Anyway RM2193 pilot light in my Scamp always shuts down when travelling above 30-40 mph. But 12V option works fine to me and battery is charging fine at the same time
Old 08-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #89

Hey!! Yet ANOTHER happy 12 voter!! We may have to start our own club. Amazing how we're one hated group on this forum because we're doing the "impossible". And may I slyly add.... SAFELY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I feel lucky I don't have to make a decision to make travel with fridge on propane on or off :-) Anyway RM2193 pilot light in my Scamp always shuts down when travelling above 30-40 mph. But 12V option works fine to me and battery is charging fine at the same time
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:32 AM   #90

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Hey!! Yet ANOTHER happy 12 voter!! We may have to start our own club. Amazing how we're one hated group on this forum because we're doing the "impossible". And may I slyly add.... SAFELY!
Darral, your not hated at all and I'm glad you're able to travel using only 12 volts for your refer....but I wouldn't say it's any safer. The vast majority of fires in RVs come from a wiring fault....just sayin'. As long as you're more comfortable with 12V and can go that route, so be it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #91

BD you make my point exactly! "Wouldnt say it's any safer..."?????? Can you give me ANY statistics? How many arguments do you hear: Is it safer to run 12v or just pre-cool your fridge...??? How many states do you have to look up the laws on having to turn off your 12v fridge before entering tunnels????

What an argument. Thank you for my laugh of the week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Darral, your not hated at all and I'm glad you're able to travel using only 12 volts for your refer....but I wouldn't say it's any safer. The vast majority of fires in RVs come from a wiring fault....just sayin'. As long as you're more comfortable with 12V and can go that route, so be it .
Old 08-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #92

MODERATOR!!!

CAN you lock this senseless thread.

We will all continue to do what suites us anyhow.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #93
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We can lock the thread. However, there is no requirement to read, much less post in a senseless thread; and I don't really see any Community Rules violation(s). In fact, this thread is a pretty good example of folks disagreeing agreeably. I'm thinking there may indeed be new members/readers who appreciate the different sides to this issue... And, yes, I know it's been discussed many times through the years since this website began. (We are approaching our 14th anniversary, by the way!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #94

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
BD you make my point exactly! "Wouldnt say it's any safer..."?????? Can you give me ANY statistics? How many arguments do you hear: Is it safer to run 12v or just pre-cool your fridge...??? How many states do you have to look up the laws on having to turn off your 12v fridge before entering tunnels????

What an argument. Thank you for my laugh of the week!
As was said no one here hates those who have a fridge that is actually able to run on 12V (many new ones do not) and are able to maintain its temperature and not drain the battery while towing.

Do a google on RV fires and you will find plenty of info in regards to refrigerator fires being the most common in RV's and the cause being more often than not an electrical issue. So while you may feel your 100% safe running your fridge on 12V your not really!

Darrel it would be helpful if you where to post a list & actual regualations of all the states you believe that RV's need to turn their propane tanks off when traveling a tunnel.

Every time this topic comes up folks have only been able to name a handful of tunnels in ALL of North America where RV's need to turn off their propane tanks. Yes there are laws in many states & provinces regarding propane tanks in tunnels but again as has been discussed many times the restrictions more often than not apply to much larger propane tanks than what the average RV is carrying.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #95

Thumbs up

I DID research on states and spoke about it on previous posts. But not one time did I find it illegal to run 12v in a tunnel...regardless if it's only a "handful" on propane. Anyone can Google if it affects them. It's there.

It just got to me when someone posted : "Dont know why anyone would fool with 12v....." Then I would have to counter that with: dont know why anyone WOULDNT "fool" with 12v if it works for them. That is all. So, for anyone wanting me to shut up about 12v is "senseless".

So, this is my last post on this topic since it will continue to go in "senseless" circles of for/against 12v/propane. In the meantime, I will continue my travels using my 12v with NO additional costs imposed by propane usage when I dont need it. Happy camping Carol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As was said no one here hates those who have a fridge that is actually able to run on 12V (many new ones do not) and are able to maintain its temperature and not drain the battery while towing.

Do a google on RV fires and you will find plenty of info in regards to refrigerator fires being the most common in RV's and the cause being more often than not an electrical issue. So while you may feel your 100% safe running your fridge on 12V your not really!

Darrel it would be helpful if you where to post a list & actual regualations of all the states you believe that RV's need to turn their propane tanks off when traveling a tunnel.

Every time this topic comes up folks have only been able to name a handful of tunnels in ALL of North America where RV's need to turn off their propane tanks. Yes there are laws in many states & provinces regarding propane tanks in tunnels but again as has been discussed many times the restrictions more often than not apply to much larger propane tanks than what the average RV is carrying.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #96

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
So, this is my last post on this topic since it will continue to go in "senseless" circles
Sounds like an excellent compromise.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #97

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
the pot is about to boil over...

better give it a stir.....

Me, I agree with everybody.....while my fridge is running on propane the control system is 12 volt....it has to have 12volt to run the thing.....

so there.....I'm propane AND 12volt......call me a politician
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #98

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
I have found that on this and other forums that interest me, the "usual suspects" who comprise, say, 70% of the posters get a little burned out as familiar subjects come up time and again. But, many of us are new to the subjects being discussed. This is my first camper fridge, it happens to be a 3-way, and I am trying to gain as much useful information as I can about the proper operation. I appreciate these diverse opinions, even though I am still left scratching my head a bit.

I agree with Mary F. wholeheartedly...there is no obligation to read or post on a thread where you feel the subject has already been discussed thoroughly somewhere else. Just pass it by, and read or contribute to those threads that don't chap your hide.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #99

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
MODERATOR!!!

CAN you lock this senseless thread.

We will all continue to do what suites us anyhow.

Joe
Just select "tread tools/ignore this thread" in web browser.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #100

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Just select "tread tools/ignore this thread" in web browser.

And you can also go to "User CP" (aka Control panel, link at upper left) and then choose "Edit Ignore List" on the left to ignore all posts from selected user(s).

That way you can ignore the comments from people who think its safe to run their fridges on propane while traveling, or those who don't, depending on which side of the fence you prefer, and you will only see the messages that correspond to your beliefs. Kinda like the folks who only watch FOX News

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator