Regular Cleaning of Fiberglass While on the Road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Regular Cleaning of Fiberglass While on the Road

This may be a very basic question to all you seasoned campers but; How do you clean and polish your campers while you're traveling for months on end? Are there detail shops where this is done? Are they adept with fiberglass? Most of the campgrounds I've researched prohibit washing of camper at their grounds. What's a clean-freak to do?
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Go to the Quarter car wash. We do. Most all the bays were plenty high and some are extremely high to enable big rigs to enter.

Most have "foaming brushes" and lower pressure settings. Once cleaned, just drive over to an out of the way corner of a big box parking lot, for example, and give it a wax renew, if you wish. I like both the Mequiar's Detailer sprays and the Turtle Wax Ice spray wax. Similar to use, but different in their intended purpose.

We carry a short 3 step ladder in the back of the pickup and it comes in handy. We were out snowbirding for over 2 months and travelled over 6000 miles. The trailer got cleaned at least twice along the way. The truck got cleaned a couple times too!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1935.jpg  
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I use Turtle Wax Ice spray myself as it is so easy to use. Spray it on, wipe it off. It also helps protect the finish from UV rays.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm with Frederick. I use the pressure washers. I don't go off and had wax. While I'm at it I usually wash the tow the same way at the same time. Then I spin dry both of them (that is take them for a drive).
When I get to camp I'll clean the plexiglass window with Mcguires plastic polish.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Cassita
Wisconsin
Red face From the Fanatic

Once a year I use a fiberglass cleaner and wax with low speed buffer and four step step ladder. A do it yourself car wash, with spin dry, when you have mud and serious dirt is a easy way to keep up while on the road. My once a year clean and wax was done by my local car wash two years ago. They charge me for one and a half cars for my sixteen foot trailer. While on the road a one step stool and Meguiars Quik Detailer and micro fiber cloths at almost every stop. Happy camping!
Dave
Dave Haight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I also use ICE by Turtle Wax (both the detailer & the wax) as it can be applied in direct sun, even on a hot surface, and it can be used on plastic, rubber, and it does not leave any white residue. I also use Turtle Was Bug & Tar remover.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Haight View Post
Once a year I use a fiberglass cleaner and wax with low speed buffer and four step step ladder. A do it yourself car wash, with spin dry, when you have mud and serious dirt is a easy way to keep up while on the road. My once a year clean and wax was done by my local car wash two years ago. They charge me for one and a half cars for my sixteen foot trailer. While on the road a one step stool and Meguiars Quik Detailer and micro fiber cloths at almost every stop. Happy camping!
Dave
This is sorta what I was looking for. Someone to do the work! After I leave a campground, I'll try to find someone to wash and wax. Thanks
Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I'll go to the quarter wash if I'm on an multi-week vacation and give the trailer a 'quickie' wash. I wait 'til I'm home for a heavy-duty cleaning and waxing.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I am a clean freak and do as others suggest use the hand spray wash types of places while on the road. If you have a Scamp just make sure you have a few extra snap caps with you as the power of the spray may send a few flying.

I am also big fan of 3M Marine products for making the trailer shine and keeping it shining. While on the road I carry a small bottle of 3M Restore & Wax and a micro cloth to take off any black streaks or bad bug stains.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
whew! and i thought i was a clean freak by obsessively waxing my casita twice a year. never even occurred to me to wash while on the road. while on a long trip i sorta like the road warrior look of road spray, rain streaks etc. i do continue to obsess over the interior
cleansing while roaming...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #11

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
whew! and i thought i was a clean freak by obsessively waxing my casita twice a year. never even occurred to me to wash while on the road. while on a long trip i sorta like the road warrior look of road spray, rain streaks etc. i do continue to obsess over the interior
cleansing while roaming...

p@
Eeewwww! Road warrior, indeed! I figure my SUV already has that look; bug blood, road crud, yuck! I'll try to keep the little home cleaner. BTW...does the crud clean off the fiberglass easier than off the car?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #12

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Eeewwww! Road warrior, indeed! I figure my SUV already has that look; bug blood, road crud, yuck! I'll try to keep the little home cleaner. BTW...does the crud clean off the fiberglass easier than off the car?
Only if it is well waxed.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
and that is exactly why i wax mine twice a year...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote