removing adhesive from fiberglass walls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Oliver
Having trouble removing the adhesive velcro tape from interior walls. Old owners had little storage bins taped up everywhere. I have tried toothpaste, and windex so far. I am afraid to try a hair dryerI think it might damage the fiberglass. My husband says wait for a warmer day (it is snowing). Suggestions welcome.
Diane
n ca diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I don't think a blowdryer would damage the fiberglass................. I think that is the only way to get it off besides that Goo Gone stuff, which would probably take off any gel coat etc. But a blowdryer should be fine. If your worried, try useing the blowdryer in a less noticeable area first. Good Luck!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Try this link for Goo Gone, it says it is safe on a lot of things.

http://gonzocorp.com/googone/catalog...eCleaners.aspx

Bill K

Quote:
Having trouble removing the adhesive velcro tape from interior walls. Old owners had little storage bins taped up everywhere. I have tried toothpaste, and windex so far. I am afraid to try a hair dryerI think it might damage the fiberglass. My husband says wait for a warmer day (it is snowing). Suggestions welcome.
Diane
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I've used both Goo Gone and a heat gun, each combined with a razor scraper. Be careful with a heat gun not to heat up the gel coat too much and also with the scraper not to dig into the gel coat.

If it's on the inside (non gel coated) surface I'd go with Goo Gone and a tooth brush.
ReilleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would try denatured alcohol and then acetone, in that order, assuming you are talking about the gelcoated inner surfaces on the Oliver.

Observe proper precautions (gloves, skin protection, and respirator and/or fresh air flow).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
If it's on the inside (non gel coated) surface I'd go with Goo Gone and a tooth brush.
Olivers [b]are gel coated on the inside.

My experience removing tape (and it's adhesive) is thus:
  • It's a s-l-o-w process. Peal the tape v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y and you could get lucky and have the adhesive come off with the tape
  • Rubbing the left behind adhesive with my finger, or HARD rubber/eraser s-l-o-w-l-y in an effort to roll the adhesive up. Yes, using my finger is painful if there is a lot of adhesive to remove, but I have better control with that than I do with a rubber stick or an eraser
  • If using Goo-Gone, saturate the adhesive with just enough to get it wet, but not so much that it runs. Then [b]wait and let it soak into the adhesive before rubbing or scraping..
  • Use a very oblique angle if using a razor blade. Go s-l-o-w and watch out for scratching the gel-coat. Use a blade only after all else has failed

Remember: Patience grasshopper! Don't try to go "normal" speed. Do it s-l-o-w-l-y.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #7

Now that I read your post, Frederick, it occurs to me that maybe the whole tape is still on there, and not just the adhesive left behind. In that case, you (the OP) can try a heat gun. Heat gently (and carefully) and pull the "tape" at a 120º to 160º angle (in other words, don't pull straight out perpendicular to the surface, but instead pull the tape "back on itself").

You can try helping it along with something like a plastic razor blade.

Then, on whatever adhesive is left, the denatured alcohol or acetone.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd try WD-40 and I know acetone doesn't hurt plexiglass... I removed a bunch of stickers off the front plexi window on my Scamp. So, it's doubtful it would hurt the gelcoat either. Test any product in a small area (inside closet?)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Ronson cigarette lighter fluid, sold at the Wal-Mart cigarette counter, will remove most adhesives. Acetone is powerful and very dangerous to plastics. It WILL distort any plastic material. The fumes alone are dangerous to lungs and MAY be a source of flash fire in a confined area.
Larry Lecuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #10

I've used acetone on gelcoat many times. Don't soak it overnight in a bucket of acetone, but it should be fine for removing adhesive goo. I try denatured alcohol first, because if it works on your particular adhesive, it's less obnoxious to use.

Of course you should still test your gelcoat, as Donna says, but acetone is typically safe to use on gelcoat. Note that fiberglass gelcoat is not the same is a typical plastic (yes it is technically plastic, but not the same as a milk jug, or what-have-you).
Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #11

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
One more trick for removing sticky residue is to spray on furniture polish, such as pledge. Let it sit a minute and rub off.
Perfect for removing price tags and labels from glassware and bottles, maybe it will also work for you?
Let us know how this all works out!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #12

Trailer: (fiberglass)
Hello, you can also use WD-40 to remove the goo. I have used it inside and outside and it has worked everytime. Just be safe if you spray it inside and watch the overspray. thanks and hope all here are having a good day.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi,
One more trick for removing sticky residue is to spray on furniture polish, such as pledge. Let it sit a minute and rub off.
One caution about furniture polishes such as Pledge, is that they often contain silicone. The invisible, hard-to-remove contaminating oil that silicone leaves behind would cause me to steer clear.

Raya
Old 03-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Acetone was what the manufacturer of my EggCamper said to use on the inside to clean the gelcoat in preparation for sticking up tape.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver
Quote:
Diane

Yeah!!!! I am finally done. I opted to delay this project till it was warmer. It is not fun working in the trailer when it is raining and snowing. I tried many things. It was a slow process. Then I finally tried my hair drier. That warmed the adhesive making it easier to lift off. Sometimes I still had adhesive on the fiberglass walls. I tried rubbing it with my fingers, a sponge and etc with alcohol, scrubbing bubbles and etc . Then I had a brain storm. Why not use that very same nasty velcro tape to pull up the adhesive. I would just dab the adhesive on the adhesive and the adhesive would lift off.
Diane
n ca diane is offline   Reply With Quote