Removing Liquid Rubber from roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Removing Liquid Rubber from roof

We just purchased a Bigfoot today and the previous owner decided to tackle a leak near the ceiling fan by coating the entire roof with black liquid rubber. How do we remove this in order to get to the original roof and do a repair? Thank you!
Brady Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #2

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
River roofing removal

I would contact a couple manufactures of rubber roofing products and solicite their recommendations
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Not sure which product was used, there are several. I used a Dicor product to coat a rubber roof. After finishing, I was curious to see how well it adhered. I didn't expect being able to use the paint tray again so I let the Dicor product cure over night and then tried to remove it from the plastic paint tray. Not a chance.
I hope it is as secure on my roof!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sounds like one of those Flex Seal products. Despite many people complaining about them, people still put that crap on their RV roofs. In hot weather, it tends to liquify and you get nasty black gooey runs down the side of the trailer. I'd do some googling.

From what I have read, mineral spirits will remove it. It will take some work. Not sure what mineral spirits does to fiberglass.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mineral spirits

You will find that mineral spirits is a benign cleaner for fiberglass. I use it all the time before lettering (sign painter) on almost all surfaces.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #6

Alberta
Thanks to all for replies

Thank you to all who have taken time from busy lives to reply. I am conflicted, now, with respect to whether I should try to remove it or whether I should simply try to live with it. My concern is that trying to remove it might actually cause damage to the underlying structure. To that end, I'm not even sure if the 1980 roof is fiberglass or rubber. I'm thinking fiberglass, but just not sure.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Bunch View Post
Thank you to all who have taken time from busy lives to reply. I am conflicted, now, with respect to whether I should try to remove it or whether I should simply try to live with it. My concern is that trying to remove it might actually cause damage to the underlying structure. To that end, I'm not even sure if the 1980 roof is fiberglass or rubber. I'm thinking fiberglass, but just not sure.
Sue, Post some pictures of your situation. There are lots of Bigfoot pilots here who will provid excellent advice.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #8

Alberta
Posting pictures

I will try to post pictures next week. We've got a big snow coming again so I'll be hiding under the covers!
Old 05-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #9

Name: Pete
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SD
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Bunch View Post
We just purchased a Bigfoot today and the previous owner decided to tackle a leak near the ceiling fan by coating the entire roof with black liquid rubber. How do we remove this in order to get to the original roof and do a repair? Thank you!
Are you the gal we spoke with at Gilbert Ray State Park in Arizona? We were in our Scamp.

If so, you said it was the Rhino product they used.
UtahPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
The roof is molded fiberglass. Could it be coated with Herculiner? (black polyurethane based coating with small bits of rubber mixed in)
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #11

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I hope it's not bed liner

Dear God if it is bed liner stuff your going to go through H### to remove it. If it's got a good bond to the fiberglass. I'm thinking about having a band of Line-X done to bottom of my Scamp for rock protection.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin