repairing bubbling/cracked gel coat around Tacoma, WA? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #1

Name: DYinVA
Trailer: Helio O2
Washington
Question repairing bubbling/cracked gel coat around Tacoma, WA?

Hi guys, this is about my Helio O2, which has a gel coat exterior so I figured someone here may be able to suggest a repair shop in the Tacoma, WA, area.

I noticed the other day several bubbles on the exterior gel coat. I poked one of them and it ended up cracking. See attached photo. There are no Helio dealers near me in WA, so they asked me to get estimates for repair at a local place. I just moved to WA, so I have no idea who can help repair this.

Can someone recommend a good gel coat repair shop in Lakewood/Tacoma, WA?

One photo shows the crack, the other two photos show other bubbles that will most likely crack if I poke them.
Attached Thumbnails
20200802_091939_resized.jpg   20200804_073629_resized.jpg  

20200804_073652_resized.jpg  
novasquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Talk to these guys. They completely rebuilt our Casita after it got crunched by a tree. They are pretty close to you.

https://www.wescraft.repair/

Good luck.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Talk to these guys. They completely rebuilt our Casita after it got crunched by a tree. They are pretty close to you.

https://www.wescraft.repair/

Good luck.

wow they're only 15 miles away. thanks!!!
Old 08-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
What did the folks at HELIO tell you caused the cracks/bubbles to occur? I have a Helio O3, a 2020, I live in Seattle.

John
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:23 AM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Colangelo View Post
What did the folks at HELIO tell you caused the cracks/bubbles to occur? I have a Helio O3, a 2020, I live in Seattle.

They've been less than helpful. They said they'd send my pics to the gel coat distributor and find out what happened but I never head back on it. They asked me to get a quote to fix it, so I sent them the quote from Wescraft. They came back and said the quote was too high and it should only cost 1/4 of the quote. I asked them to cover a little over half and I'd cover the rest, but no response. I love my Helio but they're not very helpful when you need them.

If anyone wants to buy a practically brand new Helio O2 with very minor gel coat issues, hit me up. 😊
Old 08-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I would guess this is NOT a gelcoat problem, but voids in the substrate materials that occurred during manufacture. Patching the voids is simple, but repairing the gelcoat in a way that it blends seamlessly with the original surface, and matching the color could be difficult.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:01 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
repairing bubbling/cracked gel coat around Tacoma, WA?

Agree. It is definitely a manufacturing defect in the fiberglass molding process, not impact damage, and yes, it can be repaired to be virtually unnoticeable.

Get a second quote and insist they cover 100% of the repair. Auto or marine repair shops that work on fiberglass can handle it. Ask the repair shops to give you a written description of the damage and cause.

Very disappointing!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #8

Washington
They said it should take an experienced person 2 hours to fix all these bubbles and crack. They want it fixed it cheaply as possible while i want it done right. They did offer to make a video on how to do this repair to send to Wescraft, because apparently spending time to do it right means you don't know what you're doing. Lol. Helio's response to this warranty issue has been less than ideal.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #9

Washington
I sent Helio a reminder email and they just responded that they're trying to locate a marine repair shop in WA that will fix this under warranty. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
this is caused by an air pocket the layup was not rolled when the resin and fiberglass were put into the mold after the gell coat was put in. I suggest you check your fiberglass shell for issues like this on all outside corners and circle them with grease pencil and take pictures. Do this while they admit a problem and while its under warranty. gel coat shrinks while it ages so these type of problems if prevalent will show up. if its only 2 hours work then they should send out a tec to fix it. if its brite white it is an easier fix than mixing gell coat an off white color.

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote