Replacing electric cord with plug-in system? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Replacing electric cord with plug-in system?

I probably have not explained that well.

I remember reading that some members did away with the long electric cord that stored inside the cabinets, and instead installed an outlet (inlet?) for shore power to plug into. I like this idea, and don't like that long cord being jammed into the cabinets.

Is changing this out a good idea? She is going in on Friday to get her MaxxAir fan and I'm tempted to request this as well.

Any pro vs. con discussion appreciated!
Old 02-15-2022, 01:37 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Power cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllPea in CA View Post

Is changing this out a good idea? She is going in on Friday to get her MaxxAir fan and I'm tempted to request this as well.
I like mine. It works well on the Scamp. I use the modified original cord when using the Air conditioning and a lighter cord at other times.
Attached Thumbnails
36 power a.jpg   37 power b.jpg  

38 power c.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The con is you have the separate cord to carry and store somewhere. I had thought about changing our Casita over to the plug in cord, found the parts on Amazon, and new cords, but haven't done it yet
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The con is you have the separate cord to carry and store somewhere. I had thought about changing our Casita over to the plug in cord, found the parts on Amazon, and new cords, but haven't done it yet
I agree, this is a con! But at least the cord can be stored in a tub, under a seat, or in the TV.

I've also heard of varmints getting into the trailer through these hatches Frankly, mine has been sitting so long I'm surprised I haven't found creatures of some sort, so have to knock on wood, I guess.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Not only is it a good idea, but I am really surprised more trailer manufacturers haven't incorporated the twist-lock power cord into them. I came from a long boating background, and the Marine industry have been installing them on boats for probably 50 years at least.
This is what I installed on my trailer over a dozen years ago. I also replaced that little power cord hatch with a taller one. Now I also have more useable storage space as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Vacation2018 015.jpg   New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  

New Electrical Hatch1.JPG   New Electrical Hatch2.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:53 PM   #6

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Not only is it a good idea, but I am really surprised more trailer manufacturers haven't incorporated the twist-lock power cord into them. I came from a long boating background, and the Marine industry have been installing them on boats for probably 50 years at least.
This is what I installed on my trailer over a dozen years ago. I also replaced that little power cord hatch with a taller one. Now I also have more useable storage space as well.
I really like the look of the cord setup. And thank you for mentioning the outside hatch. I really consider the space under the dinette/bed as unusable except for long-term, seldom needed items because it's pretty inconvenient to take the bed apart to get in there. A hatch on the outside is a really good idea!

But you mention "twist lock" power cord. Is that a marine item only? Or would I get that on request from the RV repair people?
Old 02-15-2022, 03:16 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I did that mod soon after I purchased my first Trillium 4500.
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Trillium Power Inlet.jpg Views: 45 Size: 209.5 KB ID: 144939" style="margin: 2px" />

Being the weirdo that I am, I did it with a 120VAC, 15A power inlet vs. a 240VAC, 30A, or 50A power inlet. Since I was not going to ever put air conditioning on the trailer. I prefer to use as little as possible. This way, my tiny EX350 generator can just plug into the trailer.

Name:   Honda EX350.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  10.4 KB

I have no regrets. I use a standard 14/3 extension cord, which is much less expensive, (and lighter) than the higher power versions, (C$30 vs. C$250). I had to use an aluminum plate to cover the larger hole that old power cord went through.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:43 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My cord is attached permanently and slides into the trailer, into an area under the rear dinette bench. It's an area that isn't used for anything else and an area that isn't easy to access.

I like that I know where the cord is and that I only have to pull out as much as I require. I don't have to wonder where I left it, or accidentally leave it behind. I simply wrap a cloth in my hand around the cord and slide it through and into the hole.
The hole has a cover that keeps mice out.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg   Cord 2.jpg  

Old 02-16-2022, 06:23 AM   #9

Name: steve and teresa
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout #6
Michigan
Smart Plug

I would not use the old style twist lock for this project. Look at "SmartPlug 30 Amp Combo Kit White", I am using that plug on my boat. It is a much better connector, easier to use and safer. The old twist lock style get worn corrodes and overheats. They have started fires on boats.
Scamp 16 side dinette Layout #6 2005
Ford Flex 2019
Steve.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I really like the look of the cord setup. And thank you for mentioning the outside hatch. I really consider the space under the dinette/bed as unusable except for long-term, seldom needed items because it's pretty inconvenient to take the bed apart to get in there. A hatch on the outside is a really good idea!

But you mention "twist lock" power cord. Is that a marine item only? Or would I get that on request from the RV repair people?
You can get the whole kit with everything you'd need for the conversion at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Mar...&ts_id=3398771
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #11

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
The mods above look great and I am sure work well. I chose another option......years ago I simply connected a heavy duty exention cord to my Casita electric cord......I never pull the trailer cord out anymore.....I ran the extention cord through the back bumper.....under the trailer and through the frame and terminated it at the front hitch. Originally.....I did this so I didn't have to carry my portabable generator from my truck to the side of the Casita everytime I wanted to use it.....that sucker is heavy and I am getting older. I rarely use the generator anymore but left the extention cord in place. Now....when in a campsite.....I just run a standard orange extention cord from my plug to the campground electric source.....it provides easy hookup and flexibility.....no pulling the Casita cord out or fighting it back in. I also have the Casita hooked up to electricity when stored here on our property.....this method works well since the source is nowhere near the back/side of the trailer. I would add.......I also made a plastic cap from a milk carton to fit around the small hole where the extention cord leaves the trailer.....this prevents bugs from making our Casita their home.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
An external hook-up for shore power is easy and saves the pulling out of the factory installed hook-up. I completed the task about 10 years ago without any problems. Used the following
1. ParkPower By Marinco RV 30 Amp Right Angle Locking Cordset
2. Power Inlet 30 Amp ( this has a lid that closes for travel)
Both item from PPLmotorhomes.com for about $140.00
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
AND: It stops the critters that crawl in on the cord.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:10 PM   #14

Name: Larry and Gayle
Missouri
Yes, the critters get in

First year storing outside before we built the garage we had mousery activity in through the power cord access plate. Bad, Bad.

Then after several pulls and pushes of the power cord in and out, the cord accidentally unplugged something from the converter or inverter or whatever that little black box is under the seat cushion and we drained the battery or something. I can't remember what all but it caused us consternation before we finally figured it out. Now, I have to take off the cover and check that the plug hasn't been disconnected every time I pull out the cord.

Last fall before our trip to Florida in November The ten year old plastic cover plate broke in freezing weather. I ordered a new one from Scamp but the new jack is bigger than the old one. Now, instead of cutting the fiberglass to make it fit I will just hire someone to install a plug. Fix it once and forever.
Larry and Gayle D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:55 PM   #15

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I bought the parts to convert to ext. Plug in from having a pull out cable last spring and still haven't done it. I need to do it now while I can in cold weather, wasp nesting zone otherwise. The little suckers can get in though the cord hole even and will tunnel though some foam insulation I stuffed in under the flap cover.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:51 AM   #16

Wisconsin
Registry
Plugging the cord access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
I bought the parts to convert to ext. Plug in from having a pull out cable last spring and still haven't done it. I need to do it now while I can in cold weather, wasp nesting zone otherwise. The little suckers can get in though the cord hole even and will tunnel though some foam insulation I stuffed in under the flap cover.
I still use my cord access for ham radio antenna coax. I plug it with a scrub pad.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOTCHBRITE.jpg  
Old 02-19-2022, 02:08 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I like mine. It works well on the Scamp. I use the modified original cord when using the Air conditioning and a lighter cord at other times.
Your post aroused my curiosity. Why do you use lighter cord when not using AC? Why not use just one cord all the time?
Old 02-19-2022, 02:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.L View Post
I would not use the old style twist lock for this project. Look at "SmartPlug 30 Amp Combo Kit White", I am using that plug on my boat. It is a much better connector, easier to use and safer. The old twist lock style get worn corrodes and overheats. They have started fires on boats.
Thanks for the information.

I’m seriously considering doing this with my BF 21. My preliminary research does suggests that the SmartPlug is the superior alternative from the standpoint of safety and durability. Also significantly more expensive - par for the course.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:05 AM   #19

Wisconsin
Registry
It's lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Your post aroused my curiosity. Why do you use lighter cord when not using AC? Why not use just one cord all the time?
It's lighter and easier to roll up when done. Also when I'm parked at home I can use the lighter cord for other things as well as keeping the battery charged and playing radio. I keep it set up next to my house most of the summer, some times it's nice to take a nap in the Scamp while listening to the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
adaptor.jpg  
Old 02-19-2022, 06:45 AM   #20

Quote:

I remember reading that some members did away with the long electric cord that stored inside the cabinets, and instead installed an outlet (inlet?) for shore power to plug into. I like this idea, and don't like that long cord being jammed into the cabinets.

Any pro vs. con discussion appreciated!
I have an ‘02 Bigfoot 21 and started researching the feasibility of installing a plug-in power cord system last November. This would be this year’s “spurge project”.

My main reason is pest control. I dry camp in private dog training fields. Most of my strict trailer neighbors experience problems with rodents. Although Bigfoot has done an excellent job of cordoning off the power center storage area from the main cabin, I am concerned about pest infestation.

Also, if this mod is designed correctly, I would be able to access the power center storage area from the main cabin. I was able to do this with my previous trailer - a Bigfoot 19. Accessing that area from the main cabin would help me to better organize the storage under the dinette seat, which is on the other side of that cubby hole. It would allow me to expand my solar set up should I wish to add a second lithium battery and inverter.

If I replace the power cord hatch like Casita Greg, I can continue to access that space from the outside. This would allow me to continue to store my extension cord and portable Surge Guard.

I’ve experienced trying to hook up my trailer in the cold and dark enough times to appreciate a simple plug-in system.

Plus, it looks so sexy.

Now for the cons:

This is an expensive and complicated project. The smart plug Conversion kit sells for $146 at Amazon.com. This kit does not include a power cord. I have an extra 35’ extension cord that I can use. But I will need to pay to attach smart plug components to be wired to my extension cord and the trailer’s power cord.

While at home, I use an extension cord and adopter to provide shore power. The Smart Plug manufacturer has a pigtail adopter. I have not ID a distributor for this adopter, and can only imagine how much it costs.

In addition I will need to have someone cut a hole into the fiberglass and install the smart plug receptor box. Perhaps install a larger hatch as Greg had done.
My mobile RV service will do the work and charges $125/hour.

The biggest problem I have concerns my surge protector. Before proceeding to hookup, I use my surge protector to verify there is no problem with the power.
This is an expensive, and vital, piece of equipment. I hesitate to leave it exposed to theft. Instead of plugging it directly into the trailer park’s power source, I plug it into the extension cord. This allows me to secure my surge guard in the trailer itself.

I do not think I can do this with a plug-in power cord. And this would be a deal breaker.

I’d really like to see a new model Bigfoot to understand how they integrated plug-in power into their trailers.

Thanks for starting this thread.