Replacing screams is the casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

Name: Frances
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Replacing screams is the casita

Can anyone talk on how to rescreen the windows in the casita, the rubber beads are falling out of the window screens.
FabulousFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
That would make me "scream" too!

If you have access to the channels that the rubber bead fits into and the screen hasn't been pulled out of the channel, you should be able to just replace the bead. You will have to find the correct size for your windows. If they are Hehr windows, this might fit:

https://www.vintagetrailergaskets.co...-130-inch.html
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Replacing screams is the casita <<< well, Halloween is right around the corner...

I would suggest the same as Alex. Replace any screens that are damaged while doing this.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
pull the screens and take them to a shop the does re screening. or get a screen roller and roll them back in. try to keep from roll twisting the spline and avoid stretching it. the spline shrinks as it ages and if you stretch it going in it will pull as it ages.

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-MP...a-432493027638

stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I've never had a "scream" failure.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
My wife screened when I drove down Shafer trail in Canyonlands!
Old 10-26-2020, 01:10 PM   #7

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Pulling your trailer ? I have slid down the shafer trail in February.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #8

Syracuse, NY
The trailer jumped of the ball at the top of the trail and wouldn't let me reconnect it until I turned the truck around. It actually stayed in the campground.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you don't want to DIY it just pull up to a place that makes window screens and have them do the replace the screen material and put in a new spline. Of course there are mobile services that come to people's homes to do this kind of work as well. But any handyman service can also handle this job.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #10

Smith Valley, Nevada
Next time I am really terrified, I'll call a mobile company to come and "scream" for me. it will save a lot of trouble.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:04 PM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
My wife screened when I drove down Shafer trail in Canyonlands!
We drove that trail in the BC (before camper) era, 12 years ago. She still talks about the crack in the road!
Attached Thumbnails
PICT4887.jpg   PICT4893.jpg  

Old 10-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #12

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
The cracks are covered by snow in February, we were screan'n down the trail at a crawl BC.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
We drove that trail in the BC (before camper) era, 12 years ago. She still talks about the crack in the road!
Yikes!

I was on Black Bear Pass about four weeks ago. Right before this happened:

Old 10-28-2020, 03:20 AM   #14

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Our local ACE hardware store will replace window screens. They would probably step outside and repair an RV screen.

I am told it is not hard to do at all, by a number of people. You have the screen, you have the rubber spline, you have the little wheel thing that looks sort of like a pizza cutter...I am probably one of the very few people that have tried and mucked it up... so bad my wife made me take in to a professional. No only did the screen look bad, but the whole dang screen door was out of square...

There are some things my wife simply will not let me touch a second time...I have to literally sneak out in the middle of the night to "fix" things on my trailer...come to think of it, I have been on this computer and forums since 3:00 am... instead I should be outside working on repairing my repairs to my trailer...
Old 10-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #15

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Yikes!

I was on Black Bear Pass about four weeks ago. Right before this happened:

Your post made me look it up and get more info. Compared to Black Bear Pass, Schafer Trail is nothing. They improved it and used to take the uranium ore trucks up and down in the 1950's. Before that, it was a cow trail, to take the herds from winter to summer pastures and back.

You all be careful in those mountains!
Old 10-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #16

Syracuse, NY
If I went down Black Bear Pass my truck (stock Taco FWD with AT tires) would be shaking so much from fright it would vibrate over the edge. The videos are good enough for me, but it would be super to see it for real.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Being an X Casita owner.

Getting back on track.

So far no respondent is registered as actually owning a Casita.
So from an avid do it yourselfer who has done all repairs on my now sold 1999 Casita 17 SD I have explored how to replace the screens and came up empty handed. Now I'm not an novice as I had owned my X Casita 14 years and have replaced the refrigeration section of the Dometic refrigerator, the converter, all the trim around the glass and the Dexter axle to name just a few things I have done.

The only thing I can say about replacing the screens is GOOD LUCK and taking it to ACE or the like is a joke
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #18

Tennessee
Like you Joe, I owned a 17' Casita but sold it and bought the Big Foot last year.

Some years ago while traveling in TX, I took the Casita to Rice and asked to have the screen door replaced. They quoted a price which included labor. So I just bought the door, and with the company's acquiescence, took the door off in their parking lot and replaced it with the new door...and the latches did not line up, not even close. I had specifically asked about this concern and was assured they were the same. I was not about to punch a new hole in the frame so I returned the new door and got my money back. I adjusted the old door until it fit.

But there are people that are just not mechanically inclined or simply not physically able, and to those people ACE, or even a mobile RV Service shop, is a viable alternative for doing repair work, particularly when on the road.

Life is too short to worry about such things. Give it a shot but if it does not work for you take it to a professional.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #19

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Smile Now that Halloween has passed have the screams diminished?

Do the screams keep you up at night?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #20

Tennessee
Ask this question after, say, Nov 4th...

Tags
casita