Resin stains - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2003, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Resin stains

I just got the tt from his winter hideway.
There appear to be stains of resin on the body and the windows.
Who knows a proper way to get rid of them?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #2

is it tree resin? or what?

Old 04-22-2003, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

is it tree resin?
Yes, it is.

Old 04-22-2003, 01:45 PM   #4

Lex

I'll endorse this stuff. Very few products work for me as they say they will! :wave

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml

Goo Gone is a combination of Citrus Power and scientific technology designed to eliminate the very toughest problems.

Goo Gone safely removes: gum · tar · crayon · fresh paint · TREE SAP · oil and grease · blood · ink · asphalt · scuff marks · tape and tape residue · makeup, lipstick and mascara · adhesives · candle wax · kitchen grease · shoe polish · soap scum · bumper stickers · duct tape · bicycle chain grease

Goo Gone has minimal impact on our environment and is safe to use on virtually any surface, including: carpets · upholstery · clothing · tile · glass · grills · appliances · vinyl · wood · draperies · autos · boats · FIBERGLASS

Old 04-22-2003, 02:14 PM   #5

Solved by dissolving ;-)

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rick

I'll endorse this stuff. Very few products work for me as they say they will! :wave
http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml
I am afraid that I can't get it over here.

But the problem is solved, simpler then I thought.
Just ordinary spirits does the job perfectly. Perhaps because the resin is not so old yet. The thicker clots take more time.
:ola

Old 04-22-2003, 03:28 PM   #6

What kind of tree did this Lex? I remember this same discussion on the Escape group, and they never mentioned the type tree. here evey tree I've ever parked under just washes right off. they are oak, hickory, black walnut, hackberry.

Old 04-22-2003, 03:44 PM   #7

goo-gone

goo....ddd stuff! :)

Available at Wal-mart and Home Depot (in OKC).

Old 04-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #8

>>oak, hickory, black walnut, hackberry

Latin names for which would be quercus (several varieties), carya ovata, juglans nigra, and celtis australis.

:cblob

Old 04-22-2003, 08:05 PM   #9

Trees

Jana, Pine trees for one, can cause some pretty big problems. They can drip stuff that is worse that the yuckiest glue.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:13 AM   #10

Deal

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz
Pine trees
That's it. Dead pine trees.
I found the word 'deal' in the dictionary. Correct?

Old 04-23-2003, 07:54 AM   #11

Lex

Deal - If you mean as in 'Here's the deal' then you are correct.

It's a much used slang and totally understandable. Sort of like saying, 'here's what happened' or 'this is what caused it' or 'here's the deal.'

Of course, I must warn you. I am from Texas and, as such, pretty much speak differently than others, so I stand to be corrected. ;)

Old 04-23-2003, 07:56 AM   #12

Dead trees?

Okay, Lex, I have to ask: How can dead trees have sap? Are they kind of dying or on their way to being dead? Is that the deal?

Old 04-23-2003, 09:59 AM   #13

about deal

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

Okay, Lex, I have to ask: How can dead trees have sap? Are they kind of dying or on their way to being dead? Is that the deal?
First about 'deal': my dictionary says that's the English word for what we call 'vurehout'.
Now I am going to speculate. 'Vurehout' is timber from fir trees (picea abies). The English word for the Dutch word 'vuur' is 'fire'. So perhaps 'vurehout' is originating from 'fir wood'????
'Vurehout' keeps bleeding resin for a long time, even if it is supposed to be dead.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:41 PM   #14

Lex, Barkeeper's Friend also works well on sap. It took off the sap on our tt without much scrubbing.

Nancy

Old 04-23-2003, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Orginally posted by Nancy Wolf
Barkeeper's Friend
Nancy, is that Sambuca or Drambuie? ;) I don't spill that on sap, I prefer to drink it. ;)
:ola

Old 04-23-2003, 02:58 PM   #16

Okay... we need a little smily face that is sticking out it's tongue. Lex... Pppppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttt!

;)

Nancy

Old 04-29-2003, 05:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Orginally posted by Lex Meuldijk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

First about 'deal': my dictionary says that's the English word for what we call 'vurehout'.
Now I am going to speculate. 'Vurehout' is timber from fir trees (picea abies). The English word for the Dutch word 'vuur' is 'fire'. So perhaps 'vurehout' is originating from 'fir wood'????
'Vurehout' keeps bleeding resin for a long time, even if it is supposed to be dead.[/quote]

Lex,

I'm speculating that vuurhout refers to the fuel wood characteristics of the knots of conifers (pine, fir, cypress, etc.). When the tree dies, the sap concentrates in the knots. One can use those knots as fuel wood. The knots (or knees) light readily even when wet and they burn very hot. It makes a smoky fire.

If you camp in a pine or fir forest, find fallen trees and knock off the knots where the limbs once joined the trunk. If the knots don't come off readily, it's not ready for burning.

Old 04-29-2003, 06:32 AM   #18

Leave it to Morgan...

to get us on the right track.

According to Webster's Dictionary of the English Language (which translates English words to English speaking people like me who don't know their own language very well), the definition of deal (the noun, not the verb) is: 1. a board or plank, esp. of fir or pine, 2. such boards collectively, 3. fir or pine wood.

So, there you go. My definition belonged in the jokes section under 'Texas Definitions.' Learn something everyday.

Sorry, Lex.....Thanks, Morgan

Old 04-30-2003, 05:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Orginally posted by Suz

to get us on the right track.

According to Webster's Dictionary of the English Language (which translates English words to English speaking people like me who don't know their own language very well), the definition of deal (the noun, not the verb) is: 1. a board or plank, esp. of fir or pine, 2. such boards collectively, 3. fir or pine wood.

So, there you go. My definition belonged in the jokes section under 'Texas Definitions.' Learn something everyday.

Sorry, Lex.....Thanks, Morgan
Oh, you're good, Suz.

My speculation was about vuurhout, not deal. I sure didn't know of that meaning for deal. It took our lowlander friend, Lex, to show us. :colors