Restoring fibreglass with just a wipe on product ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Mike, This has been a topic of discussion here since 2010, twelve years. Other than people being disappointed that it didn't last as long in the hot sun as they had hoped there haven’t been any serious complaints about yellowing, or anything else.

I understand your reluctance to use a product beyond it’s intended purpose. However, this is not as risky as you fear. It may not be designed to be used outside, but I suspect that there are some sun exposed floors that it is used.

I would not be surprised if the formula in some trailer polishes is exactly the same, just more expensive. As some have discovered, the whole elbow grease polish thing just oxidizes again in a year.

That's not true at all. If you properly take care of fiberglass it doesn't oxidize in a year. It takes 10-20 years of neglect for it to oxidize. Doing things like putting Zep on your chalky gelcoat are the reason it is oxidizing after a year. Try a real fiberglass care product. There are hundreds. If you washed and waxed your trailer once a year with a spray on and wipe off no buff quick detailer you wouldn't ever have any problem with the finish looking oxidized. It's simply that 80% of people don't take care of their trailers and look for any excuse for a quick cheap fix. Even third world fishermen with fiberglass boats in isolated communities manage to keep them looking shiny. It's not that hard. It's far easier than taking care of a car's paint. Do you have a car?

Example A:
I just fixed a propane alarm that works fine if there is a propane leak. The previous owner couldn't figure out why it was going off and decided to just cut the wire to it.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:48 AM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinMike View Post
That's not true at all. If you properly take care of fiberglass it doesn't oxidize in a year. It takes 10-20 years of neglect for it to oxidize. Doing things like putting Zep on your chalky gelcoat are the reason it is oxidizing after a year. Try a real fiberglass care product. There are hundreds. If you washed and waxed your trailer once a year with a spray on and wipe off no buff quick detailer you wouldn't ever have any problem with the finish looking oxidized. It's simply that 80% of people don't take care of their trailers and look for any excuse for a quick cheap fix. Even third world fishermen with fiberglass boats in isolated communities manage to keep them looking shiny. It's not that hard. It's far easier than taking care of a car's paint. Do you have a car?

Example A:
I just fixed a propane alarm that works fine if there is a propane leak. The previous owner couldn't figure out why it was going off and decided to just cut the wire to it.
OK Mike, I was trying to be polite. But I see no reason for that now.

The people that I know, (not me) that have had their trailer oxidize quickly were not using Zep. They used an abrasive polish that required elbow grease. Their trailer was nice and shiny, for a year, or so, (not 10-20 years). But, perhaps the laws of physics are different on your planet, or there is less oxygen.

Have you considered that your, “real fiberglass care product” might be something very similar to Zep? It’s hard to tell one clear and shiny polymer from another. Have you asked your fibreglass manufacture what they think of it?

I used Zep, on very oxidized, 44 year old, fibreglass. It was inexpensive, took virtually no effort, (other than a good clean) and was nice and shiny till I sold the trailer. Several people have had similar results that lasted years. Like Perryb67 above. Maybe take a look at that very long thread that I linked to. Or is your opinion more valuable than the experience of others? No need to answer.

But if you feel that you have an excess of cash that you need to part with. Well, you do you boo. My guess is that you already have done this and that is why you need to be so strident in your OPINION. But I gota say that you sound like a fibreglass product salesman, or one lives rent free in your head. Clearly you are smarter than 80% of the people....
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #23

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
I'd like to see what it does to your fiberglass after 20 years of being in the sun. That product isn't designed to even be used outside. It could turn your trailer a nice yellow tinge. I wouldn't tell the next owner you've been putting floor polish on your $70,000 trailer because you are too lazy to wax is once a year. This is the kind of thing that a car flipper does to brighten up a rusted out junker. Did you ask Bigfoot what they think?
LOL!

I have no problem telling people what I use. I'm not easily embarrassed.

It's my camper, not Bigfoots. If people didn't try things we'd still be in the stone ages.

I'm also not lazy. Nice insult! It says a lot about you.

Quote:
You haven't used Zep, but apparently feel you're an expert on it's use.

I certainly don't do things "like putting Zep on your chalky gelcoat", and have never said that, but apparently it worked well for David.

I have no problem with Zep, and if it does yellow I'll strip the Zep off (but leave the gelcoat on) and reapply. There's a difference between a "cheap fix" and a smart use.

But then I'm open-minded.

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
It's not hard to get into the 20th percentile. What percent of people even have a college degree? That automatically puts you in the top 30% boomer.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:35 PM   #25

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Using liquid carnauba wax after polishing your motorhome gives your motorhome a mirror-smooth finish. recommend using liquid carnauba wax because the shine it produces is a lot better than synthetics. The only issue is that the effects do not last that long.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:55 PM   #26

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlanzhe View Post
Sounds interesting. You say a little goes a long way" and that you "still have a lot left." How much did you start with? A gallon jug?
Yes we started with a gallon jug of The Solution. My husband just did our motorhome again in January since we hadn't done it for a year at least. We still have some left. It makes washing bugs off easier and it does not turn yellow or have any bad side effects. It actually protects the decals. After using it once every 2-3 years on the Casita which we don't use a lot our 2007 still looks new.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:00 PM   #27

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
Using liquid carnauba wax after polishing your motorhome gives your motorhome a mirror-smooth finish. recommend using liquid carnauba wax because the shine it produces is a lot better than synthetics. The only issue is that the effects do not last that long.
The Solution lasts at least a year. We do a lot of hard trips and the motorhome still looks great. Good shine easy to remove bugs. Spray on and wipe off. We do wash the RV first. After a lot miles we do wash and respray if it doesn't look perfect. It only takes about 30 minutes to do our 23 foot motorhome.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:47 PM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
The Solution lasts at least a year. We do a lot of hard trips and the motorhome still looks great. Good shine easy to remove bugs. Spray on and wipe off. We do wash the RV first. After a lot miles we do wash and respray if it doesn't look perfect. It only takes about 30 minutes to do our 23 foot motorhome.
I used The Solution and liked it but the next year I switched to Turtle wax Ceramic. The same effort applying but lasts a little longer. This year I am going to try the Zep.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:47 PM   #29

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
A small tip when removing oxidation from your RV Fiberglass. Do not tilt the buffing pad because it can concentrate heat on one area, ruining your motorhome’s fiberglass.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:25 PM   #30

Name: Michelle
Washington
I did the same thing as ThomasC..used Turtle Wax Ceramic. Last spring I washed our 2011 Casita even though it didn't really need it, then then applied the ceramic liquid.

I, too, have blown out shoulders that tell me real quick if I'm overusing them, so it was a pleasure to use the ceramic. Wipe on and buff lightly and it sparkles.

Maybe I'm a little bit anal, but after a season of camping, I'll give it a good bath before putting it up for the winter. This past fall I didn't renew the ceramic wax, it wasn't needed.

Our Casita is kept outside but does have a cover overhead. Water still beads up on it, so I'm pretty happy with the ceramic coating.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:16 PM   #31

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
Back in 2008 we acquired a 13' Casita Patriot Deluxe , It had been in the desert for years and was badly dried out the finish was chalky . I tried to restore the finish in one spot and it was not having it .
So I took it to a boat shop that does fiberglass . They took a look at it and said leave it for the day . When I picked it up that evening it was shiny and smooth . They said it was really dry and sucked up a lot of product .

It was still that way when I sold it it 2018 . All I did to maintain the finish was to use Meguier's Quick Detailer mist and wipe with a microfiber towel . This is how the majority of the washes the trailer got .

Of course it didn't hurt that it lived it the garage when not out camping 
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2229.jpg  
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:30 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
My escape 21 was waxed with meigulars gel coat cleaner wax once a year and covered in the winter. It was a perfect finish 5 years later when I sold it. This time I’ll hire my son to do it.

In 20 years I’ll be dead
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:26 AM   #33

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen G View Post
Back in 2008 we acquired a 13' Casita Patriot Deluxe , It had been in the desert for years and was badly dried out the finish was chalky . I tried to restore the finish in one spot and it was not having it .
So I took it to a boat shop that does fiberglass . They took a look at it and said leave it for the day . When I picked it up that evening it was shiny and smooth . They said it was really dry and sucked up a lot of product .

It was still that way when I sold it it 2018 . All I did to maintain the finish was to use Meguier's Quick Detailer mist and wipe with a microfiber towel . This is how the majority of the washes the trailer got .

Of course it didn't hurt that it lived it the garage when not out camping 

sucked up a lot of what product??
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:28 PM   #34

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Following
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote