Restoring fibreglass with just a wipe on product ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2022, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: dell
Trailer: Oakland by Bigfoot
British Columbia
Restoring fibreglass with just a wipe on product ?

Hi, does anyone know the name of a product that you just wipe on your trailer, and it restores the shine back right away ? I know that there was one called " New Glass 2 " but they stopped making. Looking for a new alternative....thank you, in advance, for any replies....Dell.
dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Lots of discussion on this subject:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ell-43004.html

Basically, Home Depot sells a product called Zep Wet Look floor polish. It takes a couple of hours to apply, (after thoroughly washing your trailer). It looks good for 3 to 5 years and can be removed using the engine wash setting at the wand wash.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, Zep works well, but it does require the fiberglass to be perfectly clean and de-oxidized before application. That may require some elbow grease, depending on the condition of the fiberglass. The roof is usually the worst.

Three to five years is probably on the optimistic end of the spectrum. On the pessimistic side, one to two years is probably more realistic for outside storage in the Southwest or if you spend a lot of time traveling. Covered storage will lengthen its life.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell View Post
Hi, does anyone know the name of a product that you just wipe on your trailer, and it restores the shine back right away ? I know that there was one called " New Glass 2 " but they stopped making. Looking for a new alternative....thank you, in advance, for any replies....Dell.
Get a product called The Solution. It comes dry in a jug and a spray bottle comes also. Follow instructions on it for mixing. Put some in the spray bottle, spray on and wipe off. They call it the world's best waterless RV/carwash & protectant. Phone is 1-888-299-2136 or check online under Super Seal Specialty CO Inc. We bought ours already mixed at an RV Show. We love it. It is great for cars, RV's, etc. We always wash first even though it says you don't have to. It makes washing bugs off easier. A little goes a long way. We've put it on our Casita a couple of times, our RV 3 times and have done 5 cars total. We still have a lot left. If using it while the vehicle is on concrete protect it with newspaper or something so the over spray will not get on the concrete. It makes the concrete slick. My husband sprays it on and uses a towel or micofiber on a handle with a Swiffer end or sponge mop type thing on it to keep the cloth in place. He just did our RV and it only took a short while to do it. Our Casita looks new and it is a 2007. You can put The Solution on windows, chrome, decals, etc.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:34 AM   #5

Name: sue
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Poly-Glo is an easy quick shine. Will take washing, then spraying and wiping with Poly-Prep, followed by 3 to 4 coats of Poly-Glo. Easy to apply in any direction with the applicator mit. Not sure of how long it will last.
suelinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by suelinc View Post
Poly-Glo is an easy quick shine. Will take washing, then spraying and wiping with Poly-Prep, followed by 3 to 4 coats of Poly-Glo. Easy to apply in any direction with the applicator mit. Not sure of how long it will last.
The Solution is much easier. Wash vehicle/RV, spray on, wipe off. Done. One spray on and it protects and shines.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:38 AM   #7

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: Ventura 73’
British Columbia
Read up on Meguiar's products. I've used it as a step to removing the orange peel texture out of a roller painted surface. We started with wet sanding... then polish with 'ultimate compound' then used their wax. But I recommend reading up... stuff works amazing.
murffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #8

Name: Dennis
Trailer: scamp
MO
I've had good luck with "Seapower" Marine cleaner and wax. Made for gel coat surfaces. Cleans, waxes, and protects.
niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #9

Name: Bill
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
It makes washing bugs off easier. A little goes a long way. We've put it on our Casita a couple of times, our RV 3 times and have done 5 cars total. We still have a lot left.
Sounds interesting. You say a little goes a long way" and that you "still have a lot left." How much did you start with? A gallon jug?
Youlanzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:43 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Certainly not as good as a hard Carnauba wax job, but a hell of a lot easier to work with. Spray it on, lightly buff it with a clean rag, and it gives a reasonable wax and cleanup coat. Originally made for boats but it works on all fiberglass. With two "bum shoulders," there's no way I could make it through applying any coating that requires a bunch of elbow grease to do any more.

Called Bow-to-Stern, aka BTS.

https://btsproducts.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Bow-Stern-All...00NAGT8L8?th=1
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Repeat every 30 to 60 days or as desired.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlanzhe View Post
Sounds interesting. You say a little goes a long way" and that you "still have a lot left." How much did you start with? A gallon jug?
Yes we bought a gallon several years ago and it is still good. We just did the RV again before traveling. You don't have to soak it just a light spray and wipe off.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #13

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Certainly not as good as a hard Carnauba wax job, but a hell of a lot easier to work with. Spray it on, lightly buff it with a clean rag, and it gives a reasonable wax and cleanup coat. Originally made for boats but it works on all fiberglass. With two "bum shoulders," there's no way I could make it through applying any coating that requires a bunch of elbow grease to do any more.

Called Bow-to-Stern, aka BTS.

https://btsproducts.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Bow-Stern-All...00NAGT8L8?th=1
I just bought this product from the factory....owner is a nice guy. My Caista sits outside all year.....after washing......I used BTS per instructions.....the stuff did a great job. Nice shine on the trailer after only one coat.....another coat will make it sparkle. Greg is correct......easy to apply.....not like wax. This stuff works.......recommended.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
Fiberglass is covered in gelcoat. It gets chalky if not taken care of. The finish will not be shiny if you never buff and wax it. It requires regular care just like anything else. Any car detailer or boat yard can restore the finish. If you want it to look brand new just buff it once a year and use a wax. Any walmart has buffing compound and two dozen brands of wax. They all basically do the same thing. Search youtube "restoring fiberglass gelcoat"

On the other hand there are products you can just spray on but you will need to restore the gelcoat before you start using most of them. Don't waste time and money. Time is worth $20/hr minimum. Some value there time a lot more than that.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:50 AM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Zep Wet Look, at Home Depot is the best value that I have found, both in dollars and time. Most of the time is spent cleaning the trailer. When it is dry, (and still oxidized) using a sponge, or cloth coat the trailer. When you get back to where you started, it will be ready for another coat. Go around three or more times, and you have a nice shiny finish.

Since the stuff is designed to be walked on, it is durable. In Calgary it lasts like 3 years. In places that get more sun and heat, I understand that you may only get a year out of it.

I have read that the engine cleaner setting at the local wand wash takes it off.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Ceramic coating called CarPro Hydro H2O

Has anyone used this product? It is supposed to last a year and is used on motorhomes.
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:18 AM   #17

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Has anyone used this product? It is supposed to last a year and is used on motorhomes.

Never heard of it. All car wax does the same thing. Every single wax also lasts a full year if you store inside. Just go to walmart and get a bottle of your favorite brands hybrid wax. They all make water bead off. Not much else. You could try all 50+ kinds they have and I bet you can't even tell any difference between them. Caranuba is hard to beat. The hybrid waxes have that and the "ceramic" silicone additives. If you want something really easy get some Meguiar's hybrid quick detailer and just spray it on and wipe it off with a microfiber.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:12 AM   #18

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Zep Wet Look, at Home Depot is the best value that I have found, both in dollars and time. Most of the time is spent cleaning the trailer. When it is dry, (and still oxidized) using a sponge, or cloth coat the trailer. When you get back to where you started, it will be ready for another coat. Go around three or more times, and you have a nice shiny finish.

Since the stuff is designed to be walked on, it is durable. In Calgary it lasts like 3 years. In places that get more sun and heat, I understand that you may only get a year out of it.

I have read that the engine cleaner setting at the local wand wash takes it off.
Another Happy Zep User

Restoring your shine is just a two-step, wipe-on process with Zep Stripper and Zep Wet Look.

Took a gamble when we purchased our 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ a few years ago. It looked like it had never been waxed, and was extremely chalky. I first cleaned the camper in a car wash. Then I loaded a mixture of Zep stripper in a spray bottle and proceeded to spray a hand mitt to wipe the product on (was warned spraying it directly on will turn your black gaskets to a medium grey). I then hosed off the stripper and the Bigfoot was a dull white, but the chalky finish was completely gone. Finally took Zep Floor Polish and with another spray bottle and new glove went around the camper three times. It looked like new. NO BUFFING NEEDED!

The next spring we foolishly decided to sell the Bigfoot and it still shined like new. Two years after the sale the buyers wife called, her husband had died, and asked if I would sell the camper. The Bigfoot still looked like new and sold to the first lookers.

In fall of 2018 we purchased a new Escape 5.0. For the first three years all we did was keep the camper clean. It's never been stored inside, but either sits at our seasonal campsite or is on the road with us (about 5 months a year). Last summer I cleaned the camper and then applied three coats of Zep Wet Look. It still shines today. We're hoping for 3-5 years before another application is needed.

Our Meguairs products just sit on a shelf. We'll never go back to waxing and buffing again.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:32 AM   #19

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Another Happy Zep User

Restoring your shine is just a two-step, wipe-on process with Zep Stripper and Zep Wet Look.

Took a gamble when we purchased our 2003 Bigfoot 25RQ a few years ago. It looked like it had never been waxed, and was extremely chalky. I first cleaned the camper in a car wash. Then I loaded a mixture of Zep stripper in a spray bottle and proceeded to spray a hand mitt to wipe the product on (was warned spraying it directly on will turn your black gaskets to a medium grey). I then hosed off the stripper and the Bigfoot was a dull white, but the chalky finish was completely gone. Finally took Zep Floor Polish and with another spray bottle and new glove went around the camper three times. It looked like new. NO BUFFING NEEDED!

The next spring we foolishly decided to sell the Bigfoot and it still shined like new. Two years after the sale the buyers wife called, her husband had died, and asked if I would sell the camper. The Bigfoot still looked like new and sold to the first lookers.

In fall of 2018 we purchased a new Escape 5.0. For the first three years all we did was keep the camper clean. It's never been stored inside, but either sits at our seasonal campsite or is on the road with us (about 5 months a year). Last summer I cleaned the camper and then applied three coats of Zep Wet Look. It still shines today. We're hoping for 3-5 years before another application is needed.

Our Meguairs products just sit on a shelf. We'll never go back to waxing and buffing again.

Enjoy,

Perry

I'd like to see what it does to your fiberglass after 20 years of being in the sun. That product isn't designed to even be used outside. It could turn your trailer a nice yellow tinge. I wouldn't tell the next owner you've been putting floor polish on your $70,000 trailer because you are too lazy to wax is once a year. This is the kind of thing that a car flipper does to brighten up a rusted out junker. Did you ask Bigfoot what they think?
Old 06-14-2022, 08:48 AM   #20

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinMike View Post
I'd like to see what it does to your fiberglass after 20 years of being in the sun. That product isn't designed to even be used outside. It could turn your trailer a nice yellow tinge. I wouldn't tell the next owner you've been putting floor polish on your $70,000 trailer because you are too lazy to wax is once a year. This is the kind of thing that a car flipper does to brighten up a rusted out junker. Did you ask Bigfoot what they think?
Mike, This has been a topic of discussion here since 2010, twelve years. Other than people being disappointed that it didn't last as long in the hot sun as they had hoped there haven’t been any serious complaints about yellowing, or anything else.

I understand your reluctance to use a product beyond it’s intended purpose. However, this is not as risky as you fear. It may not be designed to be used outside, but I suspect that there are some sun exposed floors that it is used.

I would not be surprised if the formula in some trailer polishes is exactly the same, just more expensive. As some have discovered, the whole elbow grease polish thing just oxidizes again in a year.