Rivet Sizes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The Scamp site lists the following rivet sizes from their parts department:

Rivets size 44, 46, 48, 56, 66, 68, 6-10, 6-12, 6-14, 6-16

Does anybody know which size goes where? Hoping to use this as a guide for buying replacement rivets.

If it is any help, I am looking at replacing some of the rivets around the door and body to closet on my Boler American which is very similar to the early 13' Scamps.

TIA

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I read somewhere on here that scamp sells a package of assorted rivets, so maybe you could ask them (unless someone knows here). I want to add an upper cabinet over the bed, which scamp sells, and I'll need to know which size rivets to use, and if it'll fit--so I'm going to see if I can talk to someone at Scamp.

Quote:

Does anybody know which size goes where? Hoping to use this as a guide for buying replacement rivets.

If it is any help, I am looking at replacing some of the rivets around the door and body to closet on my Boler American which is very similar to the early 13' Scamps.

TIA

Roy
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I read somewhere on here that scamp sells a package of assorted rivets, so maybe you could ask them (unless someone knows here). I want to add an upper cabinet over the bed, which scamp sells, and I'll need to know which size rivets to use, and if it'll fit--so I'm going to see if I can talk to someone at Scamp.
On our 16' Scamp that I currently have stripped the interior down to fiberglass hull, the cabs over the bed were mounted with screws into the wood, not rivets. These are the wood "look" cabinets that go in the corners.

hth.

Dan
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Rather than purchase a cabinet from Scamp which may or may not fit your Boler, have you considered ordering from Paul Neumeister who makes cabinets specifically for Bolers?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
On our 16' Scamp that I currently have stripped the interior down to fiberglass hull, the cabs over the bed were mounted with screws into the wood, not rivets. These are the wood "look" cabinets that go in the corners.
According to what I've read on Yahoo Scampers, Scamp's Deluxe models, also have the wooden cabinetry fastened with screws, not rivets (difficult to rivet into a piece of wood...).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
thanks I didn't know that, I've added it to my favorites
Quote:
Rather than purchase a cabinet from Scamp which may or may not fit your Boler, have you considered ordering from Paul Neumeister who makes cabinets specifically for Bolers?
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
According to what I've read on Yahoo Scampers, Scamp's Deluxe models, also have the wooden cabinetry fastened with screws, not rivets (difficult to rivet into a piece of wood...).
Yes, but it's easy to rivet to a metal bracket... my Boler B1700 (like almost every B1700) has wood cabinets, which are fastened to the shell with small angle brackets - the brackets are riveted to the fiberglass.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #8

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
I asked Scamp to send me every size rivet I would need to do my entire 1985 16' trailer (ensolite insulation). They sent one bag with a mixture of 5/8" and longer, 3/16" diameter rivets. After sorting them all out, I discovered that I almost never needed any rivet except the shortest ones. I ended up using rivets from the local hardware store for most everything.

drip rail and bathroom window: 1/8" diam., long rivets, but redrilled to 5/32" diam., long to improve seal

rest of windows: 5/32" diam., long rivets; they are a touch too long, but the mediums are too short...
(had to drill several out to a larger 3/16" to pull the window into the fiberglass)
(also--I found that several rivets "missed" the fiberglass when installed at the factory)

closet, cabinets: 3/16" diam., long rivets except where cabinet wasn't flush with the outside wall

So, in short--I did just about everthing with 5/32" long rivets and 3/16" long rivets.

Derek

Quote:

TIA

Roy
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
So, in short--I did just about everthing with 5/32" long rivets and 3/16" long rivets.

Derek
Thanks Derek,

I ended up buying a large kit from Brafasco, as well as a couple of 100 sized rivets that matched the two I drilled out for size comparisons. I ended up using a lot of washers just to make things right. There seemed to be a lot of spots that were just a little too short for one size and just a little too long for the next size up in the kit. When I get the time, I will look up the sizes I used and post them. The sizes were listed in fractions of inches rather than the 2 digit numerical format.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote