Rodent trouble - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Rodent trouble

I have a 1986 Scamp 16' . Just completed restoration including new plywood floors in benches. How do I keep the #$%^^& mice out of it over the winter (outside storage with a cover).
Bill
troutboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here is a Google search on this site for "mice".

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...h&q=mice&sa=Go

Here is how to do your own Google search on this site:
Attached Thumbnails
Search box.JPG  
Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In our three years we've never had a mouse, unlike our former motorhome. We find that once you close the door the is no way in.

With the motorhome we would place decon in floor cabinets.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A trailer dealer told me to put mouse poison in a container that other animals can't get into [ I use plastic butter tubs, cut a hole in the side, put a rock on top ] put it under the trailer by the tires. That way you are killing them before they can get in. I also use a product called "Fresh Cab" it's a natural mix of stuff, in little pouches, and you get it from Amazon. Two winters ago I had mice get in my daughters popup and do a little damage. Last winter I did the poison thing, and the Fresh Cab stuff, and no mouse problem. I also put some spring type and sticky type traps in our trailers, and if you have access to the camper throughout the winter you can regularly check the traps. I also use the Fresh Cab in vehicles that set around and don't get used regularly.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Heres the sure fire way of getting rid of your mice or mouse problem. Get yourself some regular mouse traps, cook up a few or one piece of bacon. Load the trap preferably while the bacon is still yummy and smells wonderful. Place a few in the trailer and walla you mouse problem is over. I learned this in N.Y.C. when a neighbor had some mice and she was scared to death. In about a half hour all her mice had bit not only the bacon but the dust.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Don't know if it helps but I saw a youtube of a guy who uses steel wool in possible entry points. Might be inexpensive to try out.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Don't know if it helps but I saw a youtube of a guy who uses steel wool in possible entry points. Might be inexpensive to try out.
Yes, it helps, because it is difficult for mice to chew. They can squeeze through very small openings, so you need to really stuff that opening well for steel wool to work effectively.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
. . . cook up a few or one piece of bacon. , , , In about a half hour all her mice had bit not only the bacon but the dust.
Bacon kills . . .
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Don't know if it helps but I saw a YouTube of a guy who uses steel wool in possible entry points. Might be inexpensive to try out.
My UHaul has two small openings at the bottom corners of the door. When stored, I put stainless steel scouring pads in these corners and shut the door on them. The scouring pads are coarser than steel wool, but conform to a shape when compressed. No mice - luck or technique?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #10

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I have been in the pest control business for 28 years. There is no sure fire way to keep mice out. Bob's idea with the bucket and poison is the best method how ever I would use bait box instead of a bucket the Idea is to poison them before they have a chance to do any damage. I have never had any success wit ANY product or gimmick that says it will keep mice. Except for Ken C and Toms suggestion for the steel wool its a great one.
Jason
Old 09-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Another vote for steel wool. My summer post has a TON of mice in the campground. I had them coming in when they ran the propane line I have rigged thru a window (Don't freak folks..it's a "Temp" fix that is perfectly safe..one day I will do a proper heater install)..anyway..I tied steel wool onto random sections of the propane line and stuffed it around the window opening that the line runs thru..mice became a non issue after I did that
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Park trailer in fenced yard, get a Schnauzer. Nothing like a dog that thinks killing rodents gets you into heaven to thin out the mice problem. :-)

I have also used steel wool to good effect. And baited traps inside a pet proof container.

Living with cats and dogs for decades have generally kept the rodent population low, but they would always come in right when the cold weather hit.

One tip not mentioned is remove debris that will provide shelter from yard. Having wood or brush pile, long grass or weeds under pine trees, a stack of blocks or bricks, even a 2 x 6 laying along the ground. These are all areas where I have seen mice or nests on removal. Dog really likes to be there for the fall clean up. Mice not so much.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
Heres the sure fire way of getting rid of your mice or mouse problem. Get yourself some regular mouse traps, cook up a few or one piece of bacon. Load the trap preferably while the bacon is still yummy and smells wonderful. Place a few in the trailer and walla you mouse problem is over. I learned this in N.Y.C. when a neighbor had some mice and she was scared to death. In about a half hour all her mice had bit not only the bacon but the dust.
Peanut Butter works well also.
Cheese dries out and loses any appeal.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Peanut Butter works well also.
Cheese dries out and loses any appeal.
In my barn, I glue small pieces of cloth to the mouse trap trigger. The little buggers like to gather up the cloth to make nests. They will tug on it until.........snap!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #15

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13', "Eggcentric"
Wisconsin
Registry
Have you tried peppermint extract? I've used it in my camper and have had no mouse problems for several winters - maybe it's the peppermint, maybe dumb luck.

I put a few drops of peppermint extract on a 1"x1"x3" scrap of cheap plastic sponge, put the sponge in a small can or jar and place two or three of 'em in the camper.

Seems to work ... I'll do it again this fall.

...hobofoto
hobofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Peppermint extract of the normal baking kind doesn't do much. The little tiny jars of pure peppermint oil help a fair amount. Fresh cab works even better, and won't make your eyes burn. All in all, the best thing we found on the farm to stop them was cats. Mine hang out in the camper regularly. I want the mice to smell kitty in there.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
In my barn, I glue small pieces of cloth to the mouse trap trigger. The little buggers like to gather up the cloth to make nests. They will tug on it until.........snap!
Clever. I hadn't thought of that before.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #18

Name: Rick
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13', "Eggcentric"
Wisconsin
Registry
You're right - peppermint oil, not extract, is what I've used with some possible success. Cats work, too, 'tho mine passed on to that great cathouse in the sky.
hobofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
All in all, the best thing we found on the farm to stop them was cats. Mine hang out in the camper regularly. I want the mice to smell kitty in there.
I think the owner of this camper had the same idea. It sure smelled like something in there.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-61036.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Dear god.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote