Roof weight limits - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'll be up there finishing off the new vent install today so I'll get more photos.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #22

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The early 17' Bigfoot models had too little structure support underneath the forward roof section. Over time the convex shape has collapsed so now that section looks bowed inward and wrinkled. Mine looks the same way.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Thanks Carol, I'll check that out. Maybe I just need to work on using better search terms.
If your using the Search function at the top of this forum - use the very bottom Google box on the drop down box for best results.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #24

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
The early 17' Bigfoot models had too little structure support underneath the forward roof section. Over time the convex shape has collapsed so now that section looks bowed inward and wrinkled. Mine looks the same way.

Alright, thanks Tom. I don't love it...but if it's "normal", I'll live with it.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #25

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If your using the Search function at the top of this forum - use the very bottom Google box on the drop down box for best results.
Ok! Yeah I was using the search function up top...
Old 02-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #26

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've been on the roof of my Bigfoot many times and I weigh 185 pounds.
The roof is very solid.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #27

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Ok, thanks.

Yeah, your Scamp is narrow enough that can work. My Bigfoot is 8' wide...

I don't think there's any delaminating. Just ripples in the fiberglass. Except I don't know enough about fiberglass to know if there are layers which can delaminate..? I don't know if it's an age thing or a water damage thing. There is no sign of water damage inside anywhere on the ceiling.
I've never seen ripples like that in a Bigfoot roof. It almost looks like it's got a layer of rubber over the fiberglass. I'd inspect those VERY closely to see what's going on. You may need to go to a shop that specializes in fiberglass repairs (like a boat shop) to see if they can figure that out.

And yes, you need to get all the Dicor stuff off. Kramer's Kampers in Chicago did my 25RB's through-hulls. They use a heat gun and a specially modified air chisel. Good luck!
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #28

Montana
Yeah I think I remember you saying that...but I decided to do it myself anyways

There is, so far as I can tell, no rubber, no repair, no anything going on with the roof, other than those ripples. But since Tom's looks the same way, I'm going to worry a little less about it. I mean I don't like it, but if it's something caused by a bit of sagging, and has more or less stabilized, I won't worry about it unless I notice it holding water.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #29

Montana
And actually for the record, I have seen something similar on a fiberglass camper. My old 78 Chinook had similar warping/wrinkling going on around the side windows. You could only see it in the right kind of lighting.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Re: fiberglass wrinkles.

Now I wonder if they were created by pulling it out of the mold before it was fully cured, it then warped and hardened in that shape. If it was me running the factory, I would finish it and sell it at some discounted price instead of throwing away the most expensive part of the camper.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #31

Montana
Too bad I don't have photos of it from the 90's!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:53 AM   #32

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I think Tom nailed it on the roof sag issue. There have been at least a few threads in the past that have discussed this issue with pre mid 90's Bigfoots. It was a support issue that was fixed in later models but no one seems to know exactly which model year they made the changes.

If you want more info use that google search function for bigfoot roof sag. Seems like it is mostly a cosmetic thing but it's been well documented.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #33

Montana
Great, thanks.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #34

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
And how worried should I be about this? It's just on the front part of the roof. The dark spot is crud, not a hole.
: did snow sit on it all winter and if so possible water leak between the skins?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #35

Montana
Hope not, but also doubt it. I think if enough water entered to warp fiberglass, I'd have stains inside on the ceiling, which I don't. But I took that photo just a few weeks after buying the camper, so I have no way of knowing.

The mystery continues...

Tags
weight