RV Sidewall Crack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Cal
Trailer: 2011 8319 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
Saskatchewan
RV Sidewall Crack

I have a crack just above the corner of my large slideout that stops at the side topper rail. Not sure but it may have happened because the trailer was not level when I extended the slideout. Can this be repaired as opposed to replacing the whole sidewall. I have no warranty. I realize the crack may reappear but I still would like to try if possible.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #2

Name: Cal
Trailer: 2011 8319 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
Saskatchewan
This is the crack.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1485.jpg  
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cal, you've come to this forum because of the name. Unfortunately for you, we're owners of all-molded-towables, which is a completely different build type than what you own. There aren't any slide-outs in all-molded-towables, because they're built similar to fiberglass boats.

I respectfully suggest you try at one of our sister forums for the answers you seek:
http://www.irv2.com

Or try the Open Road forums at RV.net

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Name: Steve and Carolyn
Trailer: Casita 17" SDX
California
Fiberglass material supplier

Factory Repair Coatings Bathtub, Hottub, Spas, Colors, Refinishing, Supplies

I can recommend these folks because they have fairly priced materials and lots of advice. Their website has lots of info and their telephone advice was indispensable.

I redid a 5 600 gallon person spa that came out looking like new.

We just sold our 17' Casita and upgraded? to a 23' Airstream.
When we finish our major traveling we will be back in a Casita.

c'ya on the road.
Carolyn and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Cracks in fiberglass are easy to repair and can be just as strong, even stronger, than original if done properly. Prior to repair you need to determine why the crack occurred and address that issue first.
Then you need to decide if this is something you want to undertake yourself. This isn't a difficult job for someone who understands what needs to be done but may be a challenge for someone who doesn't. Shops that do this work will do a good job but may be expensive.
If you decide to do this yourself and have some questions I may be able to help.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Your fiberglass gelcoat is just a thin covering, mostly cosmetic, probably laminated to a substrate of wood or something else. That substrate may be damaged, allowing the crack to appear. But as Donna said, our trailers are made of fiberglass by itself, thicker FG than yours and more structural, and not bonded to a substrate. So I'm almost certain we wouldn't do a repair the same way your unit would need to be repaired.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mike M and Mike L.

The OP's trailer as explained above is NOT fiberglass and therefore has no gel coat

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Joe, it sure looks like fiberglass to me, but not molded fiberglass. It's probably laminated to layers of rigid insulation, structural framework, and interior paneling underneath, so the repair issues are different, as Mike says.

In any case, the OP hasn't been back since 7 minutes after Donna posted, so it looks like he took her advice.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In any case, the OP hasn't been back since 7 minutes after Donna posted, so it looks like he took her advice.
And I hope you know I'm not trying to just chase people off that have valid concerns for their build type, but just trying to give them information that can help solve their problems. Often we are NOT it. Knowledge is power... share and provide information to assist
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
RV Sidewall Crack

You gave good advice, Donna, and it appears to have been taken. I'm sorry if I seemed to imply anything more.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Joe, it sure looks like fiberglass to me, but not molded fiberglass. It's probably laminated to layers of rigid insulation, structural framework, and interior paneling underneath, so the repair issues are different, as Mike says.

It's ok. I'm used to it. Some of my 7th grade students seem to think I don't know what I'm talking about, either.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote