Satellite Radio in the Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We're addicted to XM and have a large, ungainly portable radio/cd player with XM that takes up way too much room in our Casita. Anybody have ideas on a nice, clean installation that we might be able to use? We use a plug in Delco 12v DC modulator in the truck to pipe XM through the factory radio that we could adapt when we're using the trailer.

Thanks for all in advance,

Greg
Greg Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I would want to avoid taking that nice clean digitally-sourced sound signal and pushing it through an analog FM radio set. I understand doing that in the truck, to take advantage of the nicely built-in sound system, but in the "clean sheet" environment of the trailer there must be a better way.

The XM portable box presumably supplies power, antenna, amplifier and speakers. If a separate antenna is discreetly installed in the trailer, and a 12VDC power wire is similarly built in, that leaves the requirement for an amp and speakers... or an amplified speaker set, as used for computers. They could be mounted to walls or cabinets as appropriate.

As long as the trailer is not insulated with that foil-covered bubble wrap - and maybe even if it is - the antenna should work on the inside of the trailer shell... but the correct side will still likely need to face up. Try that in an Airstream!

There are many dock/amp/speaker rigs for portable music players, usually labeled as intended for iPods, which would work as well if there is a reasonable place to sit the XM receiver, and separately wired connections (not just an iPod dock connector). These would work fine, but I don't see them having much (if any) advantage over the real XM portable box; if they are really small, they won't have decent speakers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Brian is correct about a satellite radio antenna working inside a fiberglass trailer. We use our Sirius Xact sitting on a shelf with a small FM radio and "home" antenna side by side. Functions perfectly though we are striving for portability and not concert sound.
Tom Trostel
Old 12-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Brian is correct about a satellite radio antenna working inside a fiberglass trailer. We use our Sirius Xact sitting on a shelf with a small FM radio and "home" antenna side by side. Functions perfectly though we are striving for portability and not concert sound.
Tom Trostel

Here's the update on my question:

I've searched the market and opted to buy a small Timex brand am/fm/xm clock radio. I found one on Craigslist for $30 brand new. It will share it's time between the house and the trailer.

I'm building a small shelf that will place the radio under the overhead cabinet between both seats on the side dinette. Since it's #3 in the household, it will only cost a few bucks/month to add it to my bill. Pictures will be posted when the project's done.

Happy XM'ing!
Greg Janke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:03 PM   #5

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Bluetooth dock

I purchased a blue tooth dock and an antenna for my roady. Installed both inside the cabinet near the 12v receptacle for the television. I snaked the 12v power supply and bundled with the television wiring. Paired with a Bose speaker and I have XM almost everywhere.
NapaAndy is offline   Reply With Quote