Scamp 16' Water System - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Name: Craig
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Scamp 16' Water System

Hey All,

My wife and I recently bought a 2008 Scamp 16' with a basic, hand-pump water system. It has not been used at all for the past four years. After looking at the hose visible underneath the sink I saw a large amount of black mold located at a low point in the hose where water must have collected. My wife and I would love to use the water system in the future, but are not sure how much needs to get done to make it safe.

1. Would a good cleaning fix the problem?

2. Does anyone think the system should be replaced? If so, are there any recommendations for removing hoses/tanks?

3. Should I be concerned about mold in the faucet itself?

4. Does the tank need to be replaced?

Thank you all for your help. We are new to this, but look forward to learning.

Craig
camaertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I know that our trailers have all needed some water hose cleaning when we purchased them. I'm sure other folks will chime in, but we've used a weak bleach solution in the fresh water tank to clean things up before. After letting it sit for a while, you then flush it through with clean water several times. For the hose, you can put the bleach water through the faucet to do basic cleaning. I don't know about taking that hand pump apart, but there are lots of experts here!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaertens View Post
Hey All,

I had the exact same problem with my 1999. The water system hadn't been used in years.

1. Would a good cleaning fix the problem?

Probably, but I ended up having to replace the pump because mine leaked. Not a major problem, not expensive.

2. Does anyone think the system should be replaced? If so, are there any recommendations for removing hoses/tanks?

Many folks do replace their water lines, again, not a major renovation, but I didn't bother. As long as there are no leaks, you can make it usable with a good cleaning.

3. Should I be concerned about mold in the faucet itself?

As mentioned in the post above, pumping a mild bleach solution through the system should take care of the pump as well.

4. Does the tank need to be replaced?

No, not if it's not leaking.

Thank you all for your help. We are new to this, but look forward to learning.

Craig
To clean, make sure your drain valve is closed, add one cup of fresh, unscented chlorine bleach (old bleach looses a lot of it's potency) to a one gallon pitcher. Fill the pitcher with clean water, then pour into your fill tube. Continue filling the tank with a hose. Once it is filled, pump some of the bleach water through the lines to the sink.

Leave it sit for a day or two. Helps to take the trailer out for a short drive, this will slosh the bleach water around in the tank, cleaning the top surface. Periodically pump some fresh bleach water through the lines and out the sink. All that black mold will eventually let loose, and come out through the sink pump - gross! Once you start getting clear water, leave it sit for a few more hours, then you can drain the tank, fill again with fresh water (no bleach) to rinse the system. Make sure to pump some of this fresh water through the line and sink pump as well.

While the lines may not look pristine, they are sanitary and usable. This entire procedure should be repeated annually to keep the system clean. I normally only use the tank water for washing dishes and hands, but on occasion will drink it with no ill effects.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp