Scamp Fiberglass shine, condition vs Leer Cap - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Scamp Fiberglass shine, condition vs Leer Cap

I am puzzled. I just rinsed the winter mud and scum off of my 2010 Toyota Tacoma and matching dark green Leer Cap. The Leer cap is 13 years old and made of fiberglass. With just a rince the fiberglass Leer Cap is shiny and new looking. It has NEVER been waxed or polished and yet it looks so much better than the finish on my 2007 Scamp that has been washed, waxed or polished every summer and covered every winter. What does Leer do right on their fiberglass that Scamp does not? I clearly do not understand.
cookie_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:14 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dark green means paint. Probably clear coat on top. Scamp is tinted gelcoat, no paint.

Years ago I had an unpainted white fiberglass topper on a truck I owned, and it required frequent waxing just like the Scamp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:56 AM   #3

Name: Ralph
Pennsylvania
So why don't they paint Scamps????

If painting the fiberglass produces such a better product, why don't they paint Scamps????
cookie_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:18 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Cost, mainly. Plus it would require a whole new section of the factory with additional workers and equipment. Historically, Scamp tried to keep their operation lean and efficient to keep costs down and weather downturns in the highly cyclical RV market.

None of the major molded fiberglass manufacturers paint their trailers. Tinted gelcoat is the industry standard. Relic (a small volume boutique builder) is one that does, but I’m thinking they may have to because of the way their complex one-piece shell is molded.

From my point of view in Arizona, paint- especially a dark color like green- won’t last as long as gelcoat, and repainting is very expensive.

For an inexpensive, like-new shine on your Scamp with less work, you might want to search old threads about the use of Zep High Gloss Floor Wax instead of regular automotive or marine waxes. I’m thinking about switching over on our 2008 for the next round.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:38 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
California
My vote is for the Zep High Gloss commercial floor wax. It made my 18 yr old Castia shine like new for 2 years. Much better than car wax.
doctoruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:49 PM   #6

Name: star
Trailer: Parkliner
South Carolina
Might. Be Imron paint. I used it on a motorcycle frame years ago. Always looks brand new.
starsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:29 PM   #7

Name: Dave
North Carolina
Corvettes seem to keep their shine for a long time too. A lot of that is just TLC on the part of owners, but I'm sure the expensive paint/clearcoat has a lot to do with it too.

Gelcoat is what it is, and it lasts a long time, but it takes some elbow grease to keep it shiny.

Dave
theremin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:16 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I second the vote for Zep Wet Look.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/zep...ish/1000164304
It's a floor polish. Once your trailer, (or cap) is clean, it's very easy to apply. Depending on where you live it lasts 1 to 3 years. Once it starts to look weathered, it strips off using Zep Heavy Duty Floor Stripper.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/zep...per/1000115778

I understand that the engine cleaner setting at the car wash works as well.

There is a nearly 50 page thread on the subject:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ell-43004.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:53 AM   #9

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I used to wax our Casita.....now I use a product called Bow to Stern.....easy to apply.....makes the trailer and my tow rig shine.......doesn't last as long as a good wax but does last. Water just beads up for months after applying product. I am getting older.....too much work to wax the Casita anymore......I wash it now and apply BTS.....takes about a half hour. No hard rubbing....spray it on....wait a few minutes....wipe it off. My two cents.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #10

Name: nancy
Trailer: 1985 Scamp
Washington
Another vote for the Zep Floor Wax.
I learned about it on this forum when I first got my Scamp. Works like a charm!
nancy and steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, scamp