Scamp plastic covers for rivet/bolts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp plastic covers for rivet/bolts

I've been washing down the roof of my 13 ft Scamp, and I see numerous of the plastic covers that keep water off of the rivet or bolt heads that go through the fiberglass are broken (or gone!) No doubt, lots of sun for the past 8 years has had its way with them. I figured the local RV supply would have replacements, but no luck. These guys are about 5/8 inch (1.5 cms) in diameter, and there are probably 100 of them all over the Scamp, both on the roof and the sides. Am I likely to find packages of these if I check out other RV shops in Washington and Oregon (where I'm headed in a week or so), or are these extremely Scamp-specific? If the latter, I'll just have to put in an order to Scamp and deal with the missing/broken caps when I return. Also, once I locate some replacement caps, do they just pop on over the bolt head? There's a small plastic rim around the exposed bolt head, and that's still in tact. Or do I need to use some silicone/putty when I put on new caps? Many thanks, and have a Happy Long Weekend!
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
I've been washing down the roof of my 13 ft Scamp, and I see numerous of the plastic covers that keep water off of the rivet or bolt heads that go through the fiberglass are broken (or gone!) No doubt, lots of sun for the past 8 years has had its way with them. I figured the local RV supply would have replacements, but no luck. These guys are about 5/8 inch (1.5 cms) in diameter, and there are probably 100 of them all over the Scamp, both on the roof and the sides. Am I likely to find packages of these if I check out other RV shops in Washington and Oregon (where I'm headed in a week or so), or are these extremely Scamp-specific? If the latter, I'll just have to put in an order to Scamp and deal with the missing/broken caps when I return. Also, once I locate some replacement caps, do they just pop on over the bolt head? There's a small plastic rim around the exposed bolt head, and that's still in tact. Or do I need to use some silicone/putty when I put on new caps? Many thanks, and have a Happy Long Weekend!
There's a clear plastic under the rivet head, the covers snap onto that. A small amount of Scamp's silicone (sila-seal) will keep water out.
As for where to buy the best bet is Scamp Parts. If you're going stay put for a couple weeks you can have Scamp send to a post general delivery. Contact the local post office first for correct address and zip code. Don't order off the internet, call and ask for parts.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Scamp sells the caps and they also sell a kit that has the rivets that go with them. If the top cap falls off and the cap is not covered soon you losse the plastic base ring to. So a new cap has nothing to snap too. So either you replace the cap, base and rivet or you blob it all up with sealant and use that sealant to glue the new cap down. I bought the caps and rivets to do it right. Some of the rivets are extra long that you wont find in a normal hardware store.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #4

Thanks for these responses. What surprised me is that the exposed hardware on the roof -- exposed where the caps are off -- are the heads of bolts (or possibly screws?) with slots for Phillips head screw drivers. They are not the heads of rivets. After my recent foray into the world of rivets for installing a water-fill spout, I assumed all these plastic caps covered rivets, not bolts. And any other threads I've looked at on this site re: the plastic caps talks about rivets (and the possible need to replace the entire rivet/plastic seat/cap from time to time).
Thus far, these caps are sounding pretty specific to Scamp. Do Bolers/Cassitas/Escapes/etc not use some similar type of plastic button caps over fasteners? I'd thought they would be kind of generic, given you find the correct size, but my call to the local RV supplier (who's generally pretty good) suggests otherwise.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The use of the caps might be specific to Scamp however the caps themselves are not sold solely for RV use.

My local hardware store sells that type of cap. I go to a Do-it-best chain store and they have hundreds of small bills full of all kinds of items including various seals, caps, rubber washers and of course rivets too.

I am not talking about the big box store hardware sections such as Home Depot or Lowes. You need to go to the neighborhood kind of hardware store, Ace, True Value and Do-It-Best.

But if you are going to buy a larger quantity then look for an internet source for better pricing. The cost online is about $10.00 for a pack of 100. Plus shipping of course.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #6

That's a helpful thought, k corbin. I'll have to check non-RV-supply sources. I hadn't thought of that. Of course, there are few left since Home Depot and Lowe's put them all out of business.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for these responses. What surprised me is that the exposed hardware on the roof -- exposed where the caps are off -- are the heads of bolts (or possibly screws?) with slots for Phillips head screw drivers. They are not the heads of rivets. After my recent foray into the world of rivets for installing a water-fill spout, I assumed all these plastic caps covered rivets, not bolts. And any other threads I've looked at on this site re: the plastic caps talks about rivets (and the possible need to replace the entire rivet/plastic seat/cap from time to time).
Thus far, these caps are sounding pretty specific to Scamp. Do Bolers/Cassitas/Escapes/etc not use some similar type of plastic button caps over fasteners? I'd thought they would be kind of generic, given you find the correct size, but my call to the local RV supplier (who's generally pretty good) suggests otherwise.
I'm assuming that you bought the trailer used. If so one of the previous owners probably changed the rivets for SS bolts.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:28 AM   #8

Nope. Bought it brand new from Scamp. Put in an order in 2008 and picked it up in Minnesota in May of 2009. Whatever fastener is there was installed by Scamp. Curious, given all the talk of rivets on this site, isn't it...
Old 09-03-2017, 06:41 AM   #9

Casita also uses the plastic snap caps.
Get them here, fast shipping and very reasonable.
12/12 White Snap-Caps screw caps | Pro-Dec

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #10

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Thoughts

Our 2017 16 Deluxe covers the fasteners with white snap caps. When we left the factory I stopped into the parts department to buy common sense maintenance items. I figured as long as I was at the factory why not? They offered me a free bag of snap caps but told me not to bother with rivets as the majority of the 16 Deluxe used screws. (I guess because of the wooden interior cabinets and such.) I did purchase an extra "mouse hole" for the shoreline but other than cleaning products they said it would be hard to outguess what I may or may not need in the future. Is your trailer a deluxe with wood interior? I know and can see rivets for curtain rods, exterior hatch or covers etc. but have not had a reason to explore under more of the snap caps.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Nope. Bought it brand new from Scamp. Put in an order in 2008 and picked it up in Minnesota in May of 2009. Whatever fastener is there was installed by Scamp. Curious, given all the talk of rivets on this site, isn't it...
Not so much.. if you search the forum enough you will find plenty of mention of Evelands putting a few SS bolts in the Scamp trailers they make, in high stress areas. Some of the posts you will find are from me. My Scamp came with two bolts attaching the starboard side fridge/microwave cabinet to the roof. One of those I needed to repair because it was installed in such a way that it was coming loose when the trailer was about a year old.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #12

Yes, my 13 footer is the deluxe model, and I guess the wood cabinets require a stronger fastener. I was beginning to think the "deluxe" part of the equation might be the reason for bolts; your own experience confirms that, Jeff. Thanks. I've probably seen 6 or 7 exposed fasteners on my Scamp as the caps have broken off, and none of them have been rivet heads yet. Yet most of my searches on the site for information re: replacing the snap caps took me to conversations about replacing RIVETS, washers, and caps. Anyway, since the 6 or 7 exposed plastic washer cups still look in good shape, I think I'll just protect them with a lump of butyl putty, order the snap caps to arrive at their own slow pace, go off to revisit the wonders of the Pacific Northwest, and install the caps when I get back home. Thanks, as usual, for all the helpful replies.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #13

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Quote:
Yes, my 13 footer is the deluxe model, and I guess the wood cabinets require a stronger fastener. I was beginning to think the "deluxe" part of the equation might be the reason for bolts; your own experience confirms that, Jeff. Thanks. I've probably seen 6 or 7 exposed fasteners on my Scamp as the caps have broken off, and none of them have been rivet heads yet. Yet most of my searches on the site for information re: replacing the snap caps took me to conversations about replacing RIVETS, washers, and caps. Anyway, since the 6 or 7 exposed plastic washer cups still look in good shape, I think I'll just protect them with a lump of butyl putty, order the snap caps to arrive at their own slow pace, go off to revisit the wonders of the Pacific Northwest, and install the caps when I get back home. Thanks, as usual, for all the helpful replies.
Have a safe trip. No leaks on ours and from everything I have read its common sense and keeping a watchful eye on these trailers for routine maintenance. Overall we are very happy with our purchase. We have a new carport on order to act as our winter cover here in the mid west.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
FYI Scamp snap caps

I ordered my replacement caps from Scamp...disappointing experience. They sent caps too small for my 2005 trailer and claimed they were the appropriate size. I sent the snap caps back to Scampm who charged me a hefty restock fee.
I then ordered from ProDec...perfect fit....am now a happy ProDec customer.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
That's a helpful thought, k corbin. I'll have to check non-RV-supply sources. I hadn't thought of that. Of course, there are few left since Home Depot and Lowe's put them all out of business.
All put out of business? That might be true where you live but it is definitely not the case in the Western USA region. I have 8 excellent hardware stores within a few miles of me in Seattle. I guess we just have a lot of DIY folks around

I find them wherever I travel in the Western USA both in large cities and small towns. I can't speak for the Midwest or Eastern areas as I don't travel to them.

Right smack in the middle of Seattle is the best hardware store I have gone into. It is an Alladin's treasure cave of the many amazing tools for carpentry, woodcarvers, jewelry makers, precision measuring tools, boat builders, model makers plus a very much larger variety of things, including hardware, than you find in most local hardware chain stores. They sell new tools and even used ones too. Family owned since 1932 but they are part of the "Do-It-Best chain which is a type of buyers supply co-op for family owned hardware stores allowing them affordable buying power for various common hardware store supplies. That co-op buying power allows them to stay in business and have affordable prices despite competition from the big box stores http://www.ehardwicks.com/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #16

Sounds like a DIYer's Heaven! Sadly, I've watched most of those great little (or large) hardware stores disappear over the past few decades. You certainly made me realize, though, that these snap caps aren't only something to be found at RV supply stores.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I ordered my replacement caps from Scamp...disappointing experience. They sent caps too small for my 2005 trailer and claimed they were the appropriate size. I sent the snap caps back to Scampm who charged me a hefty restock fee.
I then ordered from ProDec...perfect fit....am now a happy ProDec customer.
I think there's a problem with purchasing a used Trailer. There's an assumption that is hasn't been changed that at times is wrong. We ordering new parts for an old trailer that you don't full history on you're taking a risk. In your case you probably have a large mixture of factory original and after market replacements. The other thing here is that you need to explain to the parts guy (you did order by phone didn't you?, If not always order from via phone)
I have found Scamp really easy to get the correct parts from simply by telling them when my trailer was. It was also purchased new by me so I know what's and what has not been done to it.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #18

So as I was putting butyl putty over the 6 exposed bolt heads (all or most of these snap caps crumbled when washing the Scamp this week), another cap crumbled off. Under it was a rivet head!! That fastener held up the curtain rod at the back. So I guess the Deluxe model uses a lot more bolts to hold up the heavier wooden cabinets, but rivets are used for the lighter applications. I ordered 100 snap caps from Pro-Dec for $7 plus shipping, and I'll install them liberally when I get home. So if you helpful folks see this spare tire cover on the back of a 13 foot Scamp, come on over and borrow some snap caps or some of the 30 feet of butyl tape I bought on the advice of folks on this site. I'll have lots to share!!
Attached Thumbnails
davis(fiddler) copy 2 (2).jpg  

Tags
scamp