Scamp propane hose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Scamp propane hose

I discovered on our last Scamp trip that the hose from the propane tank to the regulator is leaking (at the factory connection between hose and tank end fitting). I assumed it was a simple matter to order and install a replacement. It appears however that the standard fitting at the regulator end is 1/4". Only after ordering one and trying to install it did I discover that the regulator on my Scamp (2014 model, 13') takes a larger fitting (probable 3/8" but I don't know pipe sizes - takes a 9/16 wrench to remove it). Does Scamp use an unusual regulator? Where else can I look for a hose with larger fitting - or perhaps there is a reducer that will accomplish the same thing? I'm a long way from any RV repair places and hoped this would be a simple fix I could handle.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Simple fix and decent hardware / plumbing store or propane dealer can fix you right up
Ps I see your in Vermont / my wife and I used to live in Rutland
Beautiful area

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
As long you you put your two cents in, I should as well. We lived in Burlington for several years. Loved it, but it was just too cold for us. Now in Florida
Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Try a hydraulic hose supply shop. They should be able to fabricate you one with the right ends and avoid extra adapter fittings.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I noticed the same hose on my Scamp needed replacement a couple of weeks ago. Mine had a lable on it that had a part number. I found one available with an internet search. But, I ended up taking the old one off and took it to my loacl RV parts shop. They had plenty on the shelf. The parts person said this was an unusual application of that size and fitting type hose.
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Another propane hose problem

Something was chewing on our propane hose. We have raccoons in the area and I suspect it was them.

I tried wrapping the hose in aluminum foil with the idea, "did you ever bite into aluminum foil?"

When that didn't work, I peeled back the edge of the aluminum foil and dosed it with Tabasco.

That worked!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:23 AM   #7

Vermont
Thanks to all of you for the advice. This gives me some leads to pursue. I hope Scamp doesn't provide this challenge for every basic part replacement.

And thanks as well for the Vermont comments. Winters are indeed a challenge, but everything else Vermont makes up for winter and we love it here.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Thanks to all of you for the advice. This gives me some leads to pursue. I hope Scamp doesn't provide this challenge for every basic part replacement.

And thanks as well for the Vermont comments. Winters are indeed a challenge, but everything else Vermont makes up for winter and we love it here.
The parts Scamp uses on their trailer are all pretty stock items found at most RV shops so replacement should not be a big problem. Its one of the nice things about Scamps. Removing the hose and taking it to an RV shop would be the best option - if no RV shop near you calling Scamp and order a new one from them or have them give you a part number & manufacturer, so you can order on line elsewhere would be your best bet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #9

Vermont
saga ends - final report

ok - so here is the final report on the propane hose saga.

I did scour the area's hardware stores, HVAC/plumbing supply centers, and propane companies. As expected none had the hose I needed, but I was surprised that none could come up with a bushing or reducer that would help. So this morning I drove an hour (nothing is close in rural Vermont!) to the only large-ish RV center in our region for their help. They looked at my hose (taken from the one year old Scamp) rolled their eyes and said, "Wow we haven't seen one of these for years. You must have an old regulator". They dug through a miscellaneous bin of left-over parts in their service department and came up with a used adapter that would connect the currently standard hose to my regulator and I'm back in business. Scamp would have sent me a replacement, but since it has proven so hard to find, I prefer not to be reliant on a mailed replacement from MN if I ever need one on the road. Now I can use the pig tail hose that most RV centers seem to stock.

Given earlier experiences with Scamp this isn't a total surprise. In many ways they seem stuck in the past (not all bad I admit) with their methods and parts (when I asked at the time of purchase if they offered LED lights, the reactions was "why would we do that?", and email is embraced only tentatively). I googled the manufacturer and model # for my regulator and the sites offering it for sale were all on ebay and appeared to be firms that bulk purchase discontinued items and resell on ebay. So Scamp may have gotten a deal on some old regulators that are being installed. Nothing wrong with that but probably the explanation for the non-standard hose connection.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Tags
propane, scamp