Scamp Stored Uncovered in Phoenix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: Brooks
Trailer: Escape 17B
Alaska
Scamp Stored Uncovered in Phoenix

Our Scamp and T.V. are stored uncovered in Phoenix. We were planning to fly to Phoenix this weekend and use it for six weeks and then store it in a milder climate. We are now afraid that we will not be able to fly due to travel restrictions. Does anyone know the dangers associated with storing a fiberglass trailer uncovered in the desert? We may have to leave it there for some or all of the summer. Thanks.
Brooks Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Wade View Post
Our Scamp and T.V. are stored uncovered in Phoenix. We were planning to fly to Phoenix this weekend and use it for six weeks and then store it in a milder climate. We are now afraid that we will not be able to fly due to travel restrictions. Does anyone know the dangers associated with storing a fiberglass trailer uncovered in the desert? We may have to leave it there for some or all of the summer. Thanks.
Wash and throw a couple of coats of good wax on it and you'll be fine.

I store mine outdoors in the high altitude desert (which possibly receives more UV radiation than Phoenix due to thinner air). Wax every 6 months with Meguiar's Premium Flagship Marine Wax, two coats on the top half if I can manage it. All good.

You might consider sheets of Reflectix over the windows to keep the sun from fading curtains and upholstery. If you can provide a little ventilation without risking water getting in during the summer thunderstorm season, even better. Ours has a little tip out window over the stove I open a crack. Any small amount of water that sneaks in lands on the fiberglass counter, so no harm.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:20 AM   #3

Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
What travel restrictions?
Rick In Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:25 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Mn View Post
Flight from Alaska often go direct to Seattle or California

But the safest plan at the moment is not to book a flight that stops in Seattle or California but to see if there is a direct flight to and from Phoenix.

The reason for that is a statement made on Thursday March 12th by President Trump regarding the possibility of restricted air travel to Washington state and the state of California. https://news.yahoo.com/trump-conside...204627351.html

So if a restriction on air travel to those states does occur then bypassing them in your travel plan will insure you will be able to get to your trailer and also get back home again. The flight might cost more but avoiding flight cancellations would likely be a greater cost savings should that restriction become a reality. Plus a direct flight will lower your risk of exposure. No fun having the flu on a vacation.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #5

Name: Rick
Minnesota
https://www.expedia.com/lp/flights/a...age-to-phoenix

Direct flight for only 107.00, Awesome
If it was true
Rick In Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Mn View Post
Travel restrictions can even hit you camping. New Mexico just closed its state parks to overnight camping. Makes it tough on those heading back north after wintering in the south.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Scamp Stored Uncovered in Phoenix

Oops, seems like I misunderstood the situation. Can’t wax a trailer if you can’t get to it! Or maybe you can...

I’m guessing you can probably find a way to get to it, especially since it seems like you don’t have to worry about a return flight for a while. Travel is not shut down yet, and six weeks is a long time in terms of this corona virus situation.

But if you decide not to come because of the uncertainty, you could hire it done- the cleaning and waxing. There are lots of RV detailing companies in Arizona catering to the snowbird population. Just have ‘em put an extra coat on top.

Otherwise, let it be and deal with restoring the finish afterward. Mine was four years old when I bought it, stored outside, and hadn’t seen a coat of wax ever. The top was pretty chalky. Meguiar’s Marine Fiberglass Restoration Kit brought back a semblance of the original shine, and it gets better as long as you keep up the wax routine. Of course it doesn’t undo the damage that’s been done, but six months isn’t nearly as long.

You have someone to check on your trailer every once in a while? Crack open a small window to reduce heat build-up during the dry season, and close it up when the monsoons arrive.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #8

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
Anchorage
Trailer storage

We left our Scamp & F150 near Cincinnati for the winter, planning to head towards Florida early in April. Our concern there was moisture and mold/mildew so we rented a garage and left windows open for air circulation. Especially glad now that we didn't leave it outside. I think that the desert sun baking your fiberglass is probably easier to deal with than mold & mildew. As Jon suggests, you can probably hire someone to put a coat of wax on it.
Ken Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #9

Name: Brooks
Trailer: Escape 17B
Alaska
Scamp Stored Uncovered in Phoenix.

Thank to everyone for the suggestions. My son in law volunteered to get it out of storage and drive it to their place in Oregon. I’ll wax it next time we are reunited with the Scamp.

Sorry to stir up a lot of questions about travel restrictions. Mostly we are concerned about being in the lower 48 and not able to get home. We had a direct Anchorage to Phoenix flight, but our return flight was from Medford through Seattle. Thursday morning we saw a report from CDC that seniors should be prepared to be quarantined for an extended period. Then we saw the President say that he was considering domestic flight restrictions.

It is interesting that New Mexico is closing its campgrounds. We were planning on visiting Chaco Canyon on this trip. Who knows what other closings/restrictions will happen in the next several weeks.

I think that RV travel during this virus response is a worthy forum topic, maybe not just for fiberglass trailers.

Thanks again. Brooks Wade
Brooks Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #10

Anchorage
Stranded in Alaska?

If we might not be able to travel to and from the Lower 48, I might be wishing we had our Scamp & F150 at home for traveling around Alaska this year...
Old 03-13-2020, 10:37 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Depends on where in AK you’re living. Our friends spent 3 years in Juneau. No place to go in an RV there.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:46 PM   #12

Anchorage
We're on the road system in Alaska; lots of places to go with our Scamp if it were here.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:21 AM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There is not a lot of point in speculating what the situation might be this summer. Or how long closures of camping sites will last. This is a situation of wait and see what happens over the next month or two.

Relax, keep your plans fluid and flexible. Have a plan A, B,C, D if you are going to make plans.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #14

Anchorage
True enough. We have to remain flexible, but I'm pretty sure Georgia & Florida in April is not going to happen!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Chaco is federal, not state. But get out there EARLY. There is limited camping and there's no other camping for miles and miles.
Mike J. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #16

Anchorage
Park & campground closures

Looks like National Park closures are beginning to happen on a park by park basis, though their stated goal is to keep as many open as possible.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...ess/index.html
Old 03-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Mr. Wade:

I cover and wax my trailer before storage. Over the years I have had great experience with using an Adco Designer Series cover.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VBRV3XE...t_details&th=1

Their covers work really well, but be sure to order out the right one. To ENSURE proper fit, I highly recommend you CALL THEM with your Scamp model number in hand. Don't rely on their table.

Before covering for 8 months a year, (As does Jon from AZ) I use a good coat of Meguiar's Premium Flagship Marine Wax. After uncovering Ollie, I wax it before use.

I really recommend covering and waxing your trailer to preserve the finish for life.

Good luck!

Geronimo John
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #18

Name: Mark in KC
Missouri
Just a suggestion . . . Perhaps you live in an area that offers underground storage in an industrial cave. (Probably not Phoenix!) We park our Scamp in a facility like that, and have found that it has many advantages. No sun or rain, ever. Permanent mild temperature. Best of all, the monthly rate can be much lower than outdoor storage. RV's of all descriptions hibernate there.

The downsides of the cave are:
- The environment is musty and humid. Our Scamp requires a thorough airing-out each Spring. Or more frequently.
- The roof of the cave slowly crumbles in pea-sized chunks, so we keep a tarp over our camper.
- The floor has muddy patches from general cave seepage.
Mark in KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:50 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Wade View Post
Sounds like an ideal time to find a one way rental car, that you can drive there and go get it!
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #20

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Morton View Post
Looks like National Park closures are beginning to happen on a park by park basis, though their stated goal is to keep as many open as possible.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...ess/index.html
And, shockingly, instead of trying to charge us $90 to get in, they're waiving fees. Thank you NPS person who pushed for that
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp