Scamp stovetop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 16 ft Scamp
Thumbs up

We are getting ready for our first outing and our stove does not look like it has seen much action...it is very clean all around it as well...my question: is there a splash\grease\splatter guard or something that folks use? We want to use the stove and would like to keep it and the area around it as clean as it is now.

thanks
dave, a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Great question, I cook all the greasy splattering food outside on a small coleman stove...water and stuff that won't splatter gets cooked inside. I do this for two reasons...I'm OCD/weird about smelling up the trailer with some greasy bacon since its such a small place and #2 the summertime is just to darn warm to be cooking up something in the trailer and making it that much warmer.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I try to cook mostly outside also. I do have a splatter screen that I picked up at the doller store that goes over your frying pan. Not a perfect solution, but it does cut the splatter down. Should be able to pick something like that up at WalMart if you can't find one at a dollar store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4009.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	15678
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I aso cook outside either on a grill or colman 2 burner stove... If I 'must" use the stove I use a lid or a splatter screen like Lainy does.... I suppose you could make your back splatter guard out of something...
I do choose to put the bacon in the microwave tho....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
'Turkey Bacon' is a great way to go if you want to cut down on mess (and fat intake).
It gives off hardly any grease or splatter when you cook it and leftovers keep really well in the fridge for BLT sandwiches later in the day
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rather than something that goes on a skillet or pan, how about something that goes around the pan? Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SplatterGuard.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	15690

Folds to 10x9 and costs $7.99 from here: Kitchen Fantasy Splatter Guard Page

Kitchen Fantasy Home Page
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 77 Scamp
oh thats clever!

Quote:
Rather than something that goes on a skillet or pan, how about something that goes around the pan? Like this:

Attachment 15690

Folds to 10x9 and costs $7.99 from here: Kitchen Fantasy Splatter Guard Page

Kitchen Fantasy Home Page
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
oh thats clever!
Looks great, but I have yet to cook on the inside stove. That is what camping is all about for us...the great outdoors!
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
This past weekend my husband and I went camping with our next door neighbors - they have a tent, and ever since we brought home our U-haul last year, they've been begging us to go camping together. We chose a location about 26 miles from home, we reserved side by side sites on the lake...beautiful!

They went Thursday, we came Friday - so they were all set up by the time we got there.

OMG! In my life, I have never witnessed anyone's "camp kitchen" as large as the one they had nestled in the solid walls of their 12x12 First Up. 1 side of the First Up had solid walls, the other had the normal screen. They had 3 coleman stoves (2 old 'liquid' ones, 1 with the side burner and the grill combo) set up, a small Dorm fridge, things like paper towels, utencils, lighting hanging from bunge cords above the 'kitchen'. (everything was on a large table). Coolers were stored under the table/kitchen 'counter'. This was the most amazing set up I'd ever seen!! (My neighbor LOVES to cook!!)

We had strawberry pancakes topped with peach preserves for breakfast, choice of bacon or sausage and toast - Dinner consisted of steak over the fire, shrimp in garlic butter, fresh corn on the cob...and for dessert - strawberry shortcake with FRESH BAKED (in the dutch oven) biscuits. No way could either of these meals have been prepared indoors in our trailer!! The next morning was my turn to make breakfast, and I brought along things to make "Hashbrown casserole with eggs and ham" in the crockpot, which I put together the night before and let cook all night sitting on our front table in the trailer (didn't know if Racoons would eat casserole). The smell woke me up in the morning, which was great - but as we packed up to leave on Sunday, we still had breakfast 'smell' inside the trailer.

That just re-affirmed why we don't cook in our trailer. Yet we don't have quite the set up as my neighbor does - just a small coleman (liquid fuel) stove and a "camping kitchen" table we place in our fully screened First Up.

I should have taken photos of my neighbors 'camp' kitchen had I known we'd be talking about cooking inside vs out just a few days later on this site....it was really amazing!!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
We pre-cook food, like the turkey bacon, we pre-cooked our suasage or anything that is not hardy or safe at warmer temps, we also I pre-cook pancakes too as well as the french toast, crepes work really well and warm nicely, even fried potatoes...Plastic baggies are used for containers...Mostly we cook eggs/egg beaters and just warm foods we prepare a day before camping. We do cook/warm coffee/tea on the stove, We save water for outdoor showers rather than dish clean up. I think what we do do that may be different on long camps is use a pressure cooker. It was around before microwaves and crock pots and they still work very well being all in one pot dining, also it does not wipe out the battery or require a generator, the small stoves supply enough heat for a great meal.

Harry & Kenna
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 1998 16 ft Scamp
I was thinking of the shield that Donna posted...the screen is pretty cool too...we lose power due to snow or wind 2 to 3 times a year (sometimes for days) so we might want to cook inside, otherwise...Yeah it wouldn't be camping w/o the old coleman stove... i like the idea of pre-cooking, especially breakfast...so will that wall carpet hold odors? what do you use to clean it?
dave, a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
OMG! In my life, I have never witnessed anyone's "camp kitchen" as large as the one they had nestled in the solid walls of their 12x12 First Up. 1 side of the First Up had solid walls, the other had the normal screen. They had 3 coleman stoves (2 old 'liquid' ones, 1 with the side burner and the grill combo) set up, a small Dorm fridge, things like paper towels, utencils, lighting hanging from bunge cords above the 'kitchen'. (everything was on a large table). Coolers were stored under the table/kitchen 'counter'. This was the most amazing set up I'd ever seen!! (My neighbor LOVES to cook!!)
These camp kitchens/chuck boxes look pretty cool, kinda pricey. 3 or 4 of these packed under a shelter with stoves and grills and you would think you were at a chili cook-off
Lars H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #13

Wow Lars!

Those ARE pretty amazing...watching the video on how it all comes apart for set up..and how compact the basic box is....Hmmm, might be worth the money not to have things in 3 different rubbermaid boxes like we have...Hmmm, "Honey, I found something I want for Christmas...forget about the Tennis Bracelet...I think I found something better!!!!!!!!!"

LOL
Old 09-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
This past weekend my husband and I went camping with our next door neighbors - they have a tent, and ever since we brought home our U-haul last year, they've been begging us to go camping together. We chose a location about 26 miles from home, we reserved side by side sites on the lake...beautiful!

They went Thursday, we came Friday - so they were all set up by the time we got there.

We had strawberry pancakes topped with peach preserves for breakfast, choice of bacon or sausage and toast - Dinner consisted of steak over the fire, shrimp in garlic butter, fresh corn on the cob...and for dessert - strawberry shortcake with FRESH BAKED (in the dutch oven) biscuits. No way could either of these meals have been prepared indoors in our trailer!! The next morning was my turn to make breakfast, and I brought along things to make "Hashbrown casserole with eggs and ham" in the crockpot, which I put together the night before and let cook all night sitting on our front table in the trailer (didn't know if Racoons would eat casserole). The smell woke me up in the morning, which was great - but as we packed up to leave on Sunday, we still had breakfast 'smell' inside the trailer.

That just re-affirmed why we don't cook in our trailer. Yet we don't have quite the set up as my neighbor does - just a small coleman (liquid fuel) stove and a "camping kitchen" table we place in our fully screened First Up.

I should have taken photos of my neighbors 'camp' kitchen had I known we'd be talking about cooking inside vs out just a few days later on this site....it was really amazing!!!
First - I want to go camping with Carolyn Patterson's friends. Wow!!!!! What a meal (or meals).

Second - Back to the subject of splatter shields. Wedgewood makes a stamped metal cover for their two and three burner stoves that swings up on hinges and has sides that fold out to make a larger version of a splatter guard, similar to the one Donna D. posted. In addition, it folds down to cover the stove when you are not cooking. You can buy one direct from Wedgewood, I think they are a part of Suburban, or from some of the larger RV outlets. I think they are about $20. I'll see if I can remember to get a picture of the one on my stove and post it (the picture, not the stove!).

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I like the idea of that chuck box. keeps it all handy and easy to take into the kitchen at home and do a proper cleaning at the end of the season.

Quote:
These camp kitchens/chuck boxes look pretty cool, kinda pricey. 3 or 4 of these packed under a shelter with stoves and grills and you would think you were at a chili cook-off
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
These camp kitchens/chuck boxes look pretty cool, kinda pricey.
The link you provided says they sell plans too!

" Please notice we offer plans, unfinished and finished products."

The plans are downloadable as PDF's for less than printed as PDF's
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi: Carolyn... Can you make it to Niagara Wine Tour 2008 Sept 19-21 in N.F. Ontario and bring your neighbours??? I love to watch someone else cook!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Hi: Carolyn... Can you make it to Niagara Wine Tour 2008 Sept 19-21 in N.F. Ontario and bring your neighbours??? I love to watch someone else cook!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

I would have loved to Alf, but I have reservations for the Ohio Fall Gathering that weekend....

My neighbor and I love to whine....Um, I mean we enjoy a good bottle of wine, yes that's what I meant.

Got up this morning and my husband had gone and gotten donuts for breakfast...nice and all, but nothing like last saturday morning's pancakes!!!

Tags
scamp