Scamp tail lights - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #1

Name: Barb
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Scamp tail lights

I know the old joke about how many people does it take to change a light bulb, but we could really use some ideas.
Issue: Taillight bulb blown. terminalsPurchased bulbs. the are apparently getting contact but still no light with new bulb An auxiliary set of lights installed ( at Backus) about 15 inches above the original set a couple of years ago and it went off once we got the old bulb out from the light with the initial problem. This issue is on only one side. Left side is in perfect working order. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Barb & John
mspgaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Volt meter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspgaff View Post
I know the old joke about how many people does it take to change a light bulb, but we could really use some ideas.
Issue: Taillight bulb blown. terminalsPurchased bulbs. the are apparently getting contact but still no light with new bulb An auxiliary set of lights installed ( at Backus) about 15 inches above the original set a couple of years ago and it went off once we got the old bulb out from the light with the initial problem. This issue is on only one side. Left side is in perfect working order. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Barb & John
Have you had the volt meter out? Both tail and brake lights? If you are not getting the voltage on the bad one, use the working one as the negative contact for the meter as the problem could be the ground. Are you sure that the new lamp has two contacts (1157). It's also good to use tune up grease on the lamp base when changing them to keep the green stuff from forming.
Please let us know what you find.
AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #3

Name: Dan
Minnesota
Move the bulb from the other side to the non-working side.

Check fuses in the tow - mine has separate fuses for each turn signal and tail lamps for the trailer connector.

Give the connections in the storage area under the dinette seats a look. Pay close attention to splice in the green wire - this is the ground wire for all of the turn/brake/tail lamps. See your owners manual for a wiring diagram or look here: http://scamp.n0kfb.org/Manual/electrical.jpg

Good luck, and keep us posted!

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:40 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Quote:
An auxiliary set of lights installed ( at Backus) about 15 inches above the original set a couple of years ago and it went off once we got the old bulb out from the light with the initial problem. This issue is on only one side. Left side is in perfect
When you said "and it went off once we got the old bulb out from the light with the initial problem." did you mean that the upper bulb did not light when the bottom bulb was removed?

Sounds as if something was wired in series and that circuit was broken when the bulb was removed. I'd check the wiring with an ohm/volt meter to see if things are wired correctly. They should have or were suppose to wire them in parallel, at least I would have. I'd also check their connections where they wired in the new upper lamps.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:53 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Those grounds and the corrosion in the sockets can mess you up.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, scamp, tail lights