Scamp Wall-Carpeting in Bathroom? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp Wall-Carpeting in Bathroom?

I was looking at the photos of the Scamp shower and found that they have the carpeting part way on the wall and the ceiling in the bathroom. Knowing what an enemy moisture can be, how does this area keep from molding over time? I am guessing the carpeting is treated but overtime wouldn't the chemicals break down and disappear? I am learning that comparing one egg brand to another is like comparing apples to oranges. Thank you.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I could be wrong, but some Scamps are toilets only and others have the toilet and shower combo. Perhaps you were seeing the toilet only set up?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Well, I saw 2 that were used and on the market but did have the shower and I had wondered if the shower had been added by the owners. I'll keep looking and maybe call Scamp and ask.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I could be wrong, but some Scamps are toilets only and others have the toilet and shower combo. Perhaps you were seeing the toilet only set up?
The scamp 16' does have a shower and toilet combo - pretty common.

The (rat fur) material on the walls is marine grade so it dries fast and does not mold up. My 20 years old trailer has no mold issues. You will find that the material starts high enough up in the shower area that it rarely if ever gets wet when showering. I use the shower on mine often and its not an issue. After showering I do though leave the bathroom door open for awhile after to help the bathroom dry out faster though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bathroom Mold

We've had a Casita and a Scamp. I'ver never seen any mold in the Scamp's bathroom and have seen plenty in our Casita's even though we never took a shower in the Casita. Moisture condenses on the Casita's walls causing mold. I think because there's no insulation between the inner and outer walls.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #6

Thank you both for your responses.

I have an allergy to black mold and we had a big problem with stick-builts and the black mold despite all my efforts to keep it under control. This was in the southern states but I know it can crop up just about anywhere.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I personally dont know what Scamps "rat fur" is made of, but I do know with a extra piece I had it doesnt absorb moisture, and when torched it curls up like poly rope does, plastic? polyethylene? no old issues in my 96 either opps!!!! a lot of old issues with my Scamp....... meant to say no MOLD issues
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I think because there's no insulation between the inner and outer walls.
A friend has an early 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe that did not have the bathroom roof exhaust vent installed at the factory. He ordered it to install himself, and found the wall carpeting that is in the rest of the trailer is between the inner shower wall and the outer trailer hull. He kept the 6" diameter plug that he cut out for the fan installation to show people the layers. He said that little circular vent exhaust fan made a world of difference.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

Florida
Thanks for the info Frederick.

With insulation between the two walls I'm surprised how moisture would build up on the inner walls and how black mold would develop.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question One possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm surprised how moisture would build up on the inner walls and how black mold would develop.
I theorize that to prevent mold, ventilation is more effective than insulation.

The Casita's window alone is not enough, and the opening half is probably too low on the wall. The Scamp's window is higher. This might help create a chimney-like draw that a Casita without a bathroom roof vent lacks.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have my current trailer rigged up with a vent cover over the front roof vent and a cover with built-in fan over the rear bathroom roof vent. Both stay open all the time while the trailer sits in the yard. I am thinking that a trailer with such free-flowing ventilation would be hard pressed to grow mold. Maybe you can rig up something similar with whatever trailer you get.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
To the point of the original question....The Scamp bath does have the Rat Fur exposed near the ceiling in the models with a shower.
It is a Marine Headliner material and thus nit supposed to mold but it seems like a stupid idea to me anyway?
Why expose the inside of the wall to possible water entry that you could not get too if needed?
In the Casita I have not experienced mold but if I did at least it will be easily seen and abated.

This is one of those things I have called Scamp about and asked and was told it is just the way they do it with no explanation at all. Seems like bad design to me though.

I also am amazed AGAIN that anyone who admits he has no idea makes a comment anyway about a question here?
I just can not see how this helps?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ed your right that when one looks at it you are left wondering why they did it but as suggested by those with older scamps it does work and mold does not seem to be attracted to it. I dont have an extra vent in the bathroom on mine - only the standard window. Due to the size of the bathroom and the shower head not getting the fir lining wet is not a problem so I suspect Scamp just figures if it works why change it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #14

Florida
One of the most interesting thing I've learned is that much of what people do does work without anyone knowing the underlying reason why it works - take magnets or gravity as examples.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
so Ed if its my comment your all bunched up about, sorry I dont know what it is made out of and all I know it hasnt molded in my trailer.....it is what it is.....
Tom
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #16

My husband thinks by the description that it is probably nylon and I'm thinking if they have been using it for years that it is probably one of the old standbys like nylon rather than the flavor of the month - constant change I guess because so much of the new stuff hits the market before being tested sufficiently.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
so Ed if its my comment your all bunched up about, sorry I dont know what it is made out of and all I know it hasnt molded in my trailer.....it is what it is.....
Tom
Me thinks it was me he was referring to.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Tom
Nope,I don't know what it is either?

I do know I would rather not have any water between the walls regardless though especially since the floor of the Scamp is OSB whether it is soaked in resin or not.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Me thinks it was me he was referring to.
Maybe I just misunderstood you?
The O.P. said she was looking at a Shower Wall.

It is exactly as she suggested it was.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #20

I want to apologize here for my comment that may have been more suited for a P.M. than a public Forum.

Sorry for any confusion.

Ed

Tags
scamp