Scamp wet area under fridge may be solved. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Scamp wet area under fridge may be solved.

I posted quite a while back that the service area by our 3-way refrigerator was frequently wet after rain as well as the lower cupboard where we keep pot & pans and food storage containers etc. After discussion with Bob of Bob & Mary at Jekyll Island a few years back I tried the plastic drip gutter material and affixed strips above both the upper and lower access louvered doors as well as the forward facing section assuming that while towing water might be getting in that way as well.

After about a year the 3M adhesive gave up the ghost and the “eye brow” strips peeled off. Some folks suggested putting plastic on the inside while towing…might still try that, but we have the fridge running on 12 vdc while driving.

We are prepping to travel out to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and return next week and I have been going through the maintenance check list. Battery topped up, full propane tank, water tanks cleaned etc.

Our Scamp has been parked in front of our house since we returned from our last winter escape from Mich. I noted a few days ago that the service compartment on the lower area of the fridge was wet again. When washing and waxing earlier in the week I was very careful not to spray anywhere near those two service doors. Water did run down the sides while washing the roof areas.

Carolyn commented when she was checking the lower cupboard that the carpet was damp and musty and many of the plastic containers had mold on them. Yikes apparently still leaking from rain.

I have had the service doors off so the sun, yes there is occasionally some in Michigan… could shine in and dry it for the past few days. I also ran our electric cube heater inside blowing warm air into the lower cupboard.

When I went to put the door back on early this afternoon there was very bright sun shining on the area. …OMG… I could then for the first time see that the caulking around both the upper and lower service door frames was separated from the Scamp body. A very very thin razor like opening not normally visible. Likely that is where water has been running down the side and leaking inside?

So I drilled out the rivets on the lower door surround and cleaned up the edges a bit and put a nice bead of the preferred sealer everyone talks about here. NOT silicone.

I still had my rivet gun from Formula Ford racing days so drilled out the holes a bit larger and put in larger diameter aluminum rivets. Then I caulked the entire edge. A bit of a mess first pass as I tried to use the standard caulking gun. So I quickly resorted to just squeezing out just 1/8” bead at time and applying the caulk to the edges with my forefinger.

I also found a few small gaps on the Fiamma awing mount and the electrical hookup door as well. So now all is sealed nicely.

I hope that has solved the mystery of the wet fridge service area.

I did not have the energy to do it but I need to pull the fridge and replace the particle board shelf it sits on. A bit soft in the center from long term moisture.

I also sprayed the roof and AC unit very very heavily as a few times we had significant water dripping from the AC unit with heavy rain while camping. No leakage so it must be condensation with colder rain vs. the warm moist air inside that drips.

So live and learn. Most Scamp owners do not have the issue with damp/wet fridge service areas. So perhaps the caulking job was better in Bakus for their units.

We head off Tuesday for +/- 3.5 k mile round trip and will be back in early October in time to prep for our winter escape.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 08-31-2017, 08:00 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Bruce; hope you fixed the problem. We have had the RV gutter on our Uhaul over the windows for at least 5 or 6 years and it's still on tight. I have read where a couple other Scamp owners had the same leak problem by the fridge. Have you made plans for the winter, we will be in Florida December and January, Jekyll in February. My family went to Mt Rushmore when I was about 14 or 15, about 1960 or so, I want to go back. The Burma Shave signs were still there, Crazy Horse monument was mostly a pile of rubble, and we stopped at Wall Drug store. Have a good trip.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I had problems with the plastic drain tube on the back of the fridge that takes condinsation from inside the fridge down through the floor. On the back of the fridge.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
I posted quite a while back that the service area by our 3-way refrigerator was frequently wet after rain as well as the lower cupboard where we keep pot & pans and food storage containers etc. After discussion with Bob of Bob & Mary at Jekyll Island a few years back I tried the plastic drip gutter material and affixed strips above both the upper and lower access louvered doors as well as the forward facing section assuming that while towing water might be getting in that way as well.

After about a year the 3M adhesive gave up the ghost and the “eye brow” strips peeled off. Some folks suggested putting plastic on the inside while towing…might still try that, but we have the fridge running on 12 vdc while driving.

We are prepping to travel out to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone and return next week and I have been going through the maintenance check list. Battery topped up, full propane tank, water tanks cleaned etc.

Our Scamp has been parked in front of our house since we returned from our last winter escape from Mich. I noted a few days ago that the service compartment on the lower area of the fridge was wet again. When washing and waxing earlier in the week I was very careful not to spray anywhere near those two service doors. Water did run down the sides while washing the roof areas.

Carolyn commented when she was checking the lower cupboard that the carpet was damp and musty and many of the plastic containers had mold on them. Yikes apparently still leaking from rain.

I have had the service doors off so the sun, yes there is occasionally some in Michigan… could shine in and dry it for the past few days. I also ran our electric cube heater inside blowing warm air into the lower cupboard.

When I went to put the door back on early this afternoon there was very bright sun shining on the area. …OMG… I could then for the first time see that the caulking around both the upper and lower service door frames was separated from the Scamp body. A very very thin razor like opening not normally visible. Likely that is where water has been running down the side and leaking inside?

So I drilled out the rivets on the lower door surround and cleaned up the edges a bit and put a nice bead of the preferred sealer everyone talks about here. NOT silicone.

I still had my rivet gun from Formula Ford racing days so drilled out the holes a bit larger and put in larger diameter aluminum rivets. Then I caulked the entire edge. A bit of a mess first pass as I tried to use the standard caulking gun. So I quickly resorted to just squeezing out just 1/8” bead at time and applying the caulk to the edges with my forefinger.

I also found a few small gaps on the Fiamma awing mount and the electrical hookup door as well. So now all is sealed nicely.

I hope that has solved the mystery of the wet fridge service area.

I did not have the energy to do it but I need to pull the fridge and replace the particle board shelf it sits on. A bit soft in the center from long term moisture.

I also sprayed the roof and AC unit very very heavily as a few times we had significant water dripping from the AC unit with heavy rain while camping. No leakage so it must be condensation with colder rain vs. the warm moist air inside that drips.

So live and learn. Most Scamp owners do not have the issue with damp/wet fridge service areas. So perhaps the caulking job was better in Bakus for their units.

We head off Tuesday for +/- 3.5 k mile round trip and will be back in early October in time to prep for our winter escape.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Take the inside cover off of your A/C and check to make sure the bolts are snug. We had a river in our unit once because the bolts had loosened. Don't over tighten but make sure they are tight so it is sealed.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, scamp