Scamp winter storage - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Scamp winter storage

I know, because of the torsion axle, it is not a good idea to let a Scamp sit too long without moving it or jacking it up. I keep my Scamp in an enclosed pole building with a concrete floor. I have a tongue wheel in front, so it is easy to move from time to time. I wonder if moving it 5 to 10 feet every couple of weeks would be a viable alternative to jacking it up?

Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
No, it will not. Jacking it up is needed to reduce load on the axle.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #3

Oregon
Scamp winter storage

Thanks for your response. I realize that, but if the trailer is going to be used (towed) every two or three weeks, I don't think a person would jack it up and reduce tire pressure every two weeks. I guess maybe the question should be, how long can a Scamp sit idle before it should be jacked up?
Old 02-01-2020, 08:40 PM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My Escape has been on its wheels since I bought it twelve years ago. Had it inspected at Escape Trailer Industries about a year ago. They recaulked a couple windows, but that's it.

Whatever you do, don't jack it up by the axle. I did that on a tent trailer and the axle went up, but the trailer did not.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
.. I guess maybe the question should be, how long can a Scamp sit idle before it should be jacked up?
I would guess about four or five months. Any less than that and the benefit is likely not worth the effort. And even if you never do, any degradation on the axle will take a few years to be noticeable.

Although you can drop the tongue as far as it will go (with wheels well chocked!) and then set jack stands maybe a foot astern of the axle on the frame, then jack the tongue up about as far as it will go. This will take a little tension off the rubber in the axle and it only takes a few minutes.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You don't really have to if you don't want to. The potential benefit is slowing down the gradual sagging of the rubber torsion axle, but it won't extend its service life measurably- that's mainly a function of time and/or miles.

I do lift mine if it's going to sit more than a month or so. I take the wheels all the way off the ground, which allows me to spin the bearings occasionally, check the tires, service brakes or bearings, work under the trailer... I store it on five points. Two jack stands near the axle carry most of the weight. Tongue jack and rear stabilizers make it rock solid, which is nice if you use the trailer (guest quarters, man cave...) or work on it while stored.

With a small floor jack it takes less than five minutes to raise it onto the jacks or take it down.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #7

Oregon
Scamp winter storage

Thanks for all the good tips. I guess the snowfall around here will dictate what I end up doing.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Arkansas
We have a new 13' layout 2 Scamp and simply use the factory jacks to keep the weight off the axle -- they can easily lift it off the ground and if not where the tires are barely making contact.
spollack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp winter storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spollack1 View Post
We have a new 13' layout 2 Scamp and simply use the factory jacks to keep the weight off the axle -- they can easily lift it off the ground and if not where the tires are barely making contact.
“New” is the key word here. I presume yours has the new BAL stabilizing jacks mounted on the frame rails under the rear dinette. That’s a fairly recent change.

I would never, ever lift the wheels off the ground with only the older bumper-mounted Atwood stabilizers. Those need additional secure support near the axle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Arkansas
You got it right.

spollack1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp