Sealing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Sealing

We have had our Bigfoot 25RQ for about 1.5 years. In that time we have put almost 10K miles on the camper. Anyone have suggestions on how often to reseal the components or parts and pieces on top of the camper? We keep it under a 20'W by 30' long cover when home so the only time it's in the direct weather is when we are traveling.
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
The usual and best method is to remove the component, thoroughly clean contact surfaces, then re-seal with a thick layer butyl tape and re-install fasteners. Butyl tape can be purchased at RV shops, Amazon, etc.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I get up on the roof once a year and seal the exposed cracks with Dicor self leveling.
If a roof penatration is leaking or broken I will pull the vent or cover. Clean everything. New buytl tape, new stainless screws epoxy old screw holes if needed then drill new hole and mount the new or refurbished part. Once it's one I mask off around it and new Dicor to seal the screw holes and the edges.
It is time consuming and I am working on these things now because of the lock down.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot