Seattle-area newbie - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
Wink

Hi. I've only been pulling a fiberglass trailer for a few years. I'm a single female and I do fine. I do get occasional advise and a little assistance from other campers. I purchased a 13 ft. Casita. The size is very nice to pull. I happen to think electric brakes are very important, especially if your pulling with a smaller vehicle. They give you more control when stopping and also when slowing down. My Casita has a toilet, gas burners, sink, electric fridge and microwave. It probably be too small for your family with the toilet, since it takes up much of the front. If I had it too do over I probably would not get one with a toilet. Instead I would use a porta-potty. Just for the extra room. The smaller trailers without the separate bathrooms generally have an extra small table with seats that make into a single bed. Some of them also have a very small overhead bunk. Hope this helps. If you check the camping session on this forum you will see there are lots of campouts. Even in the winter. I suggest you go to a few to see the variety of trailers available to give you a better idea of what you want. Good luck. Happy camping.
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #22

Trailer: Honey Boler 1974
Hi Amy,

We have a Honey Boler/Subaru Forester combo that we use for camping. While the frame for the Boler has been customized (longer, heavier and taller than the standard frame), the rest of the Boler is pretty unmodified (well, mostly). We live in the area and would be more than happy to show it to you and answer any questions. PM me if interested.

Jackie
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We tow a 16' Scamp with our Subaru Outback and have had no problems - ours has electric brakes and it just feels like there is a little more control given that our car isn't much heavier than the trailer. We live in CA and have been up to Tahoe and Yosemite - up some pretty steep grades and have had no difficulties - just slow going! Don't limit yourself - look at different kinds of trailers and keep your eyes on Craig's List and Ebay (we saw ours on both and bought it via Paypal!) One will come up and you'll know it's a good deal when you see it if you've looked at a lot and have narrowed it down. Also, check your car's manual so you know what it can handle - that should help to narrow it down.

Diane D.

Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote