Seeking Awning Repair in Portland, OR area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Seeking Awning Repair in Portland, OR area

This past summer a rogue gust of wind caught the awning on my 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Delux before I could stake it and carried it over the top of the trailer. The unit was torn completely free from the trailer and the fabric torn. The casing remained in pretty good shape except for a dent and a broken plastic part. I need to get it repaired or replaced.

Can anyone recommend a good repair shop in the Portland area, preferably on the Oregon side to avoid Washington sales tax.
Youlanzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Take a look at the thread on Casita defects to see about earlier problems with Casita awnings.
Almost anyone can do a better job than Casita does in mounting your awning.
The best price I found on the awning and mounting (on a Scamp) was the Scamp factory in Bacus Minnesota as they bolted it in place and used three heavy duty mounting brackets.
I happened to be headed that way and their price was good, included mounting and meant that I did not have to pay for shipping and insurance (which was considerable).
All of that aside I wonder if you can buy new parts from Fiamma?

https://www.fiammausa.com/en/spare-parts

If you get the parts to repair simply bolt the old brackets in place like they should have been in the first place and perhaps buy a third to go in the middle like the Scamp.

To those of you who think that Casita does and acceptable job on the awing this is only one more failure! Remove the pop rivets and bolt it on.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #3

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Take a look at the thread on Casita defects to see about earlier problems with Casita awnings.
Almost anyone can do a better job than Casita does in mounting your awning.
The best price I found on the awning and mounting (on a Scamp) was the Scamp factory in Bacus Minnesota as they bolted it in place and used three heavy duty mounting brackets.
I happened to be headed that way and their price was good, included mounting and meant that I did not have to pay for shipping and insurance (which was considerable).
All of that aside I wonder if you can buy new parts from Fiamma?

https://www.fiammausa.com/en/spare-parts

If you get the parts to repair simply bolt the old brackets in place like they should have been in the first place and perhaps buy a third to go in the middle like the Scamp.

To those of you who think that Casita does and acceptable job on the awing this is only one more failure! Remove the pop rivets and bolt it on.
Not sure what your issue is with Casita, but the above post has nothing to do with the install of the awning, but rather the fact that the awning was not secured before a surprise wind showed up. In fact, the poster said the brackets stayed in tact to the trailer.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

Florida
Sorry but I read this "The unit was torn completely free from the trailer and the fabric torn."
No where doe he say that the brackets were left on the trailer, but even so if the casing was torn off the brackets then they are inadequate as well.
There is no excuse for the awing being blown OFF the trailer.
Bend arms, perhaps breaking them off, OK, but off the trailer is not in the realm of an acceptable failure.
I have one of these Fiamma awnings and the arms are pretty weak and should fail long before the casing is ripped off the trailer.
Sorry you misunderstand my concern about just how poorly the Casita awning is attached. I am not concerned in the least about Casita, but rather the customer and owner.
There are a lot of Casita owners with awnings that need to be aware that those expensive awnings they bought in good faith from Casita installed on their new Casitas are basically throwaway items that Casita itself knows will not stay on in any wind.
Perhaps they have decided to have the awing rip off to protect the trailer from rocking in the breeze.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can tell you who NOT to take it to for repairs, and that's ANY repair of ANY kind on your trailer and that is Curtis Trailers.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #6

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Is there an ignore button on this forum?
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
Is there an ignore button on this forum?
Yes, you can go to your USER CP (stands for user control panel) and add any poster you want to your ignore list by selecting edit ignore list.

User CP is near the top of the screen on your left hand side.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Does your trailer insurance cover wind damage? I Had an awnimg on my Bigfoot suffer wind damage and the deductable was much lower than colission damage.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #9

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can tell you who NOT to take it to for repairs, and that's ANY repair of ANY kind on your trailer and that is Curtis Trailers.
leaving for Curtis Trailers in a few minutes for some repairs (not awning). So, Donna, your suggestion "not Curtis Trailers" is concerning....I've been going to this repair shop since 2013. Why did you not recommend them?
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
leaving for Curtis Trailers in a few minutes for some repairs (not awning). So, Donna, your suggestion "not Curtis Trailers" is concerning....I've been going to this repair shop since 2013. Why did you not recommend them?
They damaged my pickup, initially said they'd pay for the damage. Once found out what it was going to cost, refused and tried to blame me. I have ALL of the correspondence in emails. Checking with MY insurance company, I could put in for a claim and then the insurance company would need to go after Curtis Trailers. BUT, it would be a claim on my insurance and count against my NO Fault. I declined and instead will tell EVERYONE I know at EVERY opportunity to NOT go to Curtis Trailer. They ARE NOT trustworthy!!

Please do not think it can't happen to you....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #11

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
All one has to do is google their many, many, 1 star reviews! I loved this one: "They are the worst run service department I have ever used. They should put a sign over the door of their entry that reads "Incompetence".
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #12

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Panther RV in Washougal, WA carries Fiamma awnings/ parts. You can pick up via will call to save on shipping, if you can do the replacement yourself.

If you look up "Casita Trailer Fiamma F45s Awning Installation" on YouTube, there is a good installation video.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #13

Oregon
Thank you to all who responded, particularly to those who answered the question I posed. It appears I tripped a wire that detonated an explosion of feeling about Casita quality and after-market service. I could add several tales of my own. The warranty must be the free Bible that came with the trailer.

Aside from selling parts, does Panther RV do repair work? The brackets on the trailer appear to be in good condition, but those on the awning casing have cracked welds. I suppose I could buy the parts and take the casing to a local shop for the welding.

I would still like to find a shop on the Oregon side. That shouldn't be difficult, but recommendations are always nice.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #14

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
I don't believe that Panther RV does repair work. I think they only sell the parts, but the website lists 360-844-5398 if you want to ask them about repairs.

From watching this install video it doesn't look like replacing the awning (if your brackets are still good) would be very hard to do if you are handy.

You can order new brackets from directly Casita if they need replacing (I just ordered some myself to install an awning).
https://store.casitatraveltrailers.c...ade-name-price
Old 10-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #15

Florida
If you replace the awning be sure to replace those pop rivets with screws and nuts and backup washers.
My point is that if customers do not insist on at least some minimum level of quality all will receive less than that amount.
I still feel that if it had been adequate the arms might have been damages, the fabric ripped, but the casing and brackets should not be damaged.
Is the cracked bracket this one

Or this one?

that peeled off from here

If no one calls Casita out over this kind of thing what is the driving force that improves their product or do we just sit idly by while they deteriorate to the level of the worst common denominator?\Sorry if I have irritated some by posting pointing out obvious defects in design and execution by a major manufacturer of fiberglass RVs.
If that is the case I apologize.
To your question I believe that if you buy the parts and have the bracket rewelded, adding some reinforcements and perhaps another bracket you will be far better off than you were with a new Casita setup.
The installation on my Scamp was sturdy enough that I did not hesitate to use the casing for attachment points for my solar panels as well.
I also installed the Fiamma supplied clips that connect the base of the awning uprights to the frame of the trailer for more secure mounting.
Here is a picture of my awning brackets and the very dirty roof.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211015_121849.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	143764
Again I apologize for piling on poor Casita for their failure to provide warranty coverage for their product.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #16

Oregon
Annie, Thank you for the link to the YouTube clip and the suggestion for purchasing the brackets from Casita. You have guided me to the solution to my problem. I think I'm "handy" enough to do the repair. My challenge will be overcoming my growing lethargy.

redbarron, Thank you for your suggestions. Your photos look like my situation. I agree with you on Casita's use of rivets, at least in some cases. I had to replace an interior light that was riveted, and it was a pain removing the rivets because of the location. On the other hand, a local RV technician pointed out that many manufacturers use them because they will not loosen over time like crews or nuts & bolts. I am constantly having to tighten cabinet hinges. Casita's use of scrap wood to hold the screws on cabinet doors raises questions about their attention to quality. After I'd had the trailer about a year and went to repack the bearings, I discovered that there were no dust caps on the brake adjustment slots. Explains the sometimes grabby brakes. And when the roof began leaking around the vent, I took it to a local shop. They were appalled that Casita had used silicon to seal around the vent. They told me one should never use silicon on fiberglass and resealed it with Dicor. When I told Casita about this, they reimbursed me for the repair. I could mention others.

What is discouraging is that in the six years since I bought the trailer, I continue to hear similar complaints from others with trailers newer than mine. One would expect them to track forums such as this to learn what improvements might be needed.

Once more, thank you both.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #17

Oregon
Reddbarron, Your reply deserves a fuller response. I'm immersed in some (no wheels) house repairs later. In the meantime, if you've not already seen it, you might look at "Casita Factory Defects Disappointments!" on the General Chat Forum from "ThreeSixtyIcon."
Old 10-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #18

Florida
As I don't have a Casita, but rather a 1985 Scamp turned into "FrankenScamp" rebuilt to my meet my needs I don't have a dog in this hunt.
However I do feel that if no one holds the manufacturers to their promise of some minimal quality we all lose in the end.
Manufacturers and suppliers will deliver no better quality that we demand and if you let Casita or any other manufacturer off without holding them to their promises they they do not have the necessary feedback to even attempt get their act together.
Do Casita a favor and insist that they do a good job and make a quality product.
If you don't then who will?
They have personally answered my questions about their installation of these awnings to my satisfaction... They don't even try to do it right and don't care if they do as they already have your money.
If you don't insist on quality then don't complain if you find the day when US manufacturers are no longer know for the quality of their products.
Well I guess that was long ago and the
pay off" is now.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This bone is well gnawed.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #20

Name: Darryl
Oregon
Awning repair

I live on the Oregon central coast and I’m from Portland. There is a small rv repair place on McLoughlin Blvd if it’s still open. If you can get out to Newport there’s Newport Marine and Rv. They’re very good. They have done all of my Casita repairs. Ask for Frank or Dale. Tell them Darryl D’Armond referred you.
Darrylmda7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning