Sellers misrepresenting trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Unhappy Sellers misrepresenting trailers?

Just need to vent after a ten hour round trip to see a 2008 Casita 17 that was advertised in excellent condition but in my mind wasn't even close.
I know that everyone's standards are different but I can't believe the number of trailers that people are trying to sell and they don't even make an effort to clean them but want $13500 for them, amazing!
I also find that our trailers can look great in the photos but look quite different when you get there. This trailer was really dirty inside and out, cabinet door knobs broken or missing, fiberglass cracked by sink, broken blinds, broken fridge latch, AC shroud cracked etc etc. The cushions and the whole trailer looked very well used (worn) yet seller said they had only used it a couple of times in the 3 years they owned it. The outside looked as if they had done nothing to it ever - dirty, tons of road tar and extensive chips on front. My 99 Scamp is in way better shape.
I had asked all the right questions and they told me everything was great no problems, nothing broken etc etc. How can their idea of excellent and mine differ so much? Obviously everything could be fixed but we were not prepared to do that at the price they wanted, put in lower offer but they said no and now I am glad as that wasn't what I want to spend my hard earned money on.
This is not the first time this has happened and now my husband has put a limit that any potential trailer has to be within 3hours which when you live in the middle of nowhere is not helpful!
Thanks for letting me vent.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Better luck next time. Sometimes it pays to buy from a dealer or on Ebay which may offer the buyer some protection from misleading or hidden problems. Did you take your Scamp and camped in it while traveling? At least that was fun!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I hear you. It is very disappointing when people lie outright. I typically shop for distressed trailers, so if the ad says it is in excellent shape, I just move on. But I am afraid that misrepresenting goods online is just a tactic that some use hoping that someone driving out of their way will be committed by the time they get there. Sad.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I always ask for lots of pictures.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Maybe you can get someone local to go take a peek at it before the next trip.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Sounds like a case of you snooze, you win.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am rarely more frustrated than with things like this?
I drove 16 hours once to Texas to get a Casita that was in no way as represented? I had pictures and asked all the right questions and spoken several times to the owner and even sent a Deposit via Fedex only to discover a complete pile of junk when I got there.
There was a Camping World less than a mile from the location and I didn't think it would even make it that far! When I looked inside the Bathroom I could see outside through the floor and I could rock the shell off the frame from outside as it was not attached at all.

There even happened to be another NICE Casita there and clearly this is the one the pictures she sent represented?

The seller seemed baffled by my reaction?

Luckily I counted to 10 and didn't act on my first instincts as I was very P.O.d and almost went crazy!

I have also looked at others in much worse condition than advertised and I guess it just takes all kinds to make this world go round?
My least favorite are the ones that smell and the seller seems not to know somehow?

I Buy and Sell on Craigslist a lot and am astounded by the complete lack of salesmanship out there?
No one even bothers anymore to try to clean and make things look their best anymore even when it would require the smallest effort to do so?
Who want to get someone elses dirt and why would you want dirty junk?

There is an old saying I know,"you Can't Sell a Pig a Bathtub!"!

Good Luck and Don't give up.

Ed

Oh and I got my Deposit back and drove home 16 hours too!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
My least favorite are the ones that smell and the seller seems not to know somehow?
I had my bil do the inspection and transaction for mine and then I got worried that HE might not have noticed a smell! I was very relieved to find that there was no smell when I finally got to see it a few months later. That's the downside of having someone else look at it- their idea of clean or good condition might differ from yours- but Steve did a good job inspecting mine.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #9

Delaware
For those not wishing to burn up the interstate, contracting with a strategically-located 3rd party to do the eval would seem advisable. I notice solicitation of this service on this site and the employment of parents/relatives in the role. Need to be aware that someone (not any of us, we hope) could offer to provide this service and turn out to be a shill for the seller. Be cautious; I don't want to read that story!

jack
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
For those not wishing to burn up the interstate, contracting with a strategically-located 3rd party to do the eval would seem advisable. I notice solicitation of this service on this site and the employment of parents/relatives in the role. Need to be aware that someone (not any of us, we hope) could offer to provide this service and turn out to be a shill for the seller. Be cautious; I don't want to read that story!

jack
Interesting interpretation?
I thought I was a cynic?

I knew there was a reason I liked you Jack!

I am more worried that in the time it might take to get the help and look at the trailer that it would already be sold and gone in a lot of cases.
I think the demand for these little gems might contribute somewhat to the lack of responsibility some sellers seem to feel to be accurate with the description?

Also I have a feeling if we would ask to see pics of their houses along with pics of the trailer we might get a better idea about how the condition of the trailer is conveyed.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I feel your pain, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
How can their idea of excellent and mine differ so much?
Warning: The following is my opinion, not to be confused with fact.

I am repeatedly reminded how low other peoples' standards are when compared to my own. I believe many folks have not experienced true excellence in their lives. It is sad that they are often so grateful for mere adequacy in a world of failure that they come to equate it with excellence.
I apply the same thoughts (in this context) to sellers of used trailers. In that way I diffuse any emotions I have about feelings of "misrepresentation".
Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #12

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thanks everyone, your replies made me feel better and some made me laugh esp yours Frederick!
Unfortunately we didn't even get a nice trip with the Scamp out of it as I was so sure I was going to buy I didn't want to have to return due to not being able to tow it. I had the bank draft (I did check I could return it!) and everything.
Ed - your experience made mine seem minimal! I do agree about the time frame of getting someone to check things out as I was going to do this for a Bigfoot in Ca and after I posted the request I went back to check the ad and it had sold! I did also comment to hubby do these people keep their houses in the same condition. My trailers are always cleaner than my house as it is so easy with such a small space!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #13

Delaware
So we have a Casita which was merely adequate out the door, which was made comfy and familiar by four years of abuse, and then attained the spurious excellence of a soon to be former possession. Rise of the [mercantile] phoenix!

jack
Old 10-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've been through the same think looking at used cars in the past. Good luck OP and vent here all you want. I enjoy your posts.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #15

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
We drove 8 hours round trip two weeks ago to look at one that "just needed a few finishing touches on the remodel".....it needed a whole new trailer as far as I was concerned.... I have to agree with Frederick though....other people's idea of exellent condition and my idea of the same are often two very different creatures!
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Sounds like my grandparents old Shasta. They bought it for a big trip but after that it sat in their back yard for years as a "guesthouse". Whenever we came to visit we got to stay in the camper. This was all good and fun until the skeezier side of the family came to visit and totally trashed it; don't even want to get into the details. Of course the Grandparents could then have sold it as having only been on one trip LOL!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #17

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
My recent experience car shopping taught me, amongst other things, that the word "Mint" has been redefined. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what it means anymore.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
When I hear Mint, I think of lamb, candy, toothpaste and mouthwash. The latter 3 mask the 1st.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Kootenaigirl, that wasnt the one on the Island was it?

If you need actual of photos of something your thinking of buying in the future in the lower mainland area feel free to ask. Happy to send more realistic photos and let you determine how good or bad it is. Like you I have found what one person thinks is great or good isnt how I would described it after having actually seen it ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #20

Delaware
Beggars want to be choosers but become impatient with the prospect of no gratification. Problems are both condition of and the relative scarcity of the items we seek. We'd like to have fifteen glass campers to look at within 50mi. of home. We'd like to find 35 yr. old trailers which have been maintained and updated. We'd like to find 35 yr. old trailers which have been maintained and updated and the seller's had his fun and is willing to write off the new axle and tires for a quick sale. This sometimes happens; good for us!

But most of the time, the old girl's been neglected or nearly abandoned for a period of years. Scarcity floats all boats including these trash piles "listed" as functional trailers and many of us whistle past dead tires and tired torsion axles and the consequences of no winterization, leaks, water stains, UV deterioration, rusty frames, soft floors, and the fifty other minor things that you should be able to fix with something in a bubble pack costing $10 but sometimes can't.

As a collectivity, we do influence the range of items considered "marketable." It's called demand. One of the choices for us beggars is to choose not to buy. Some of us rush in and regret at leisure but some of us with shallow pockets are VERY demanding. Don't be afraid to say "You've got to be kidding!" in the context where it counts. About all your average trapdoor spider (er, hopefull seller) can do is ask you to leave.

jack