sharp tools & sheds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Own a 2013 BF 21 foot.
California
sharp tools & sheds

Hello,
Not being the sharpest tool in the shed I need to ask what's the difference between a gel coat and a clear coat also would a 2013 Bigfoot have both? I'm thinking the gel goes on top of the fiberglass and clear on top of the gel. Am I correct and if so would a wax safe for clear coats be ok for this 2013 Bigfoot I have? Thanks for the info as I'm new to fiberglass.

David
Socal
lifermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd like to know too. I wonder if there is a Manuf. that does spray a final automotive type clear coat on the shell to make it shiny. Good question. Another dull tool in the shed here ha ha.

Wiki gelcoat link if anyone is interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelcoat
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
From my experience with boat building clear coat are used over paint jobs. When a boat is laid up, the mold is waxed and then the gel-coat is sprayed into the mold. Next the glass lay-up is done. When all the lay-ups are done the excess is trimmed. After the part is cured then it is taken out of the mold and with a bit of polish will shine. I know that paint job on my truck has clear coat over the paint, but haven't seen clear coat used over gel-coat. Maybe there are some trailer manufactures that are spraying clear coat over the gel-coat, but it isn't normal in the marine world
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
FG parts are made in a mold. The mold surface is very smooth and coated many times with wax to ensure the new layer of polyester resin will not bond to the mold and destroy it.

The first "layer" is gel coat which is a polyester resin with pigment. Then the layers of resin and glass materials are laid up on top. The solvent effect of the gel coat dissolves some of the mold wax which is why new boats and trailers etc. appear to have the worlds best wax job.

Don't know about the clear coat part but a new fg part can look like it has a clear coat.

Excuse the very simplified explanation.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
There are clear Gel coats, Sparkly bass boats use clear gel coats. They are sprayed into the mold first just like any other Gel coats. Most people don't use it as it is extremely expensive and sensetive to UV light.

In painting Cars, Boats, planes you have what they call 2 stage paints base coat / Clear coat. Uses less color paint usually 2 coats and 2 coats of clear. the clear paint in extremely expensive for good stuff.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

California
So on my 2013 Bigfoot would spray on "Protect All" be a good choice for protection from the elements? Thanks.

David
Socal
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I don't know if "Protect All" is superior to a couple of good coats of wax. Don't think you can go wrong with protecting with wax but maybe someone who's used Protect All can say how long an application lasts.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A good quality wax might be just as good and a lot cheaper. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
A good quality wax might be just as good and a lot cheaper. Raz
What is recommended for wax? Trailer is brand new and I ask because owners manual says to wax upon delivery. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifermc View Post
What is recommended for wax? Trailer is brand new and I ask because owners manual says to wax upon delivery. Thanks.

The brand that showed up post after post when I researched the same question was Meguiars Marine Paste Wax. Not cheap, $20? for a can. But a little goes a long way. Hard going on and hard to buff but it lasts the season. Just don't let it sit too long. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
The brand that showed up post after post when I researched the same question was Meguiars Marine Paste Wax. Not cheap, $20? for a can. But a little goes a long way. Hard going on and hard to buff but it lasts the season. Just don't let it sit too long. Raz
Thanks Raz, I'll check it out and thanks to all that responded.

David
Socal
Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Name: Lyle
Trailer: '95 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
When thinking of products for polishing or waxing fiberglass don't think automotive think marine. Clear coat on a car is very different than gel coat on fiberglass. If you can find Collinite Fleetwax # 885 in your area give it a try It is a Marine and Aeronautical wax. Very easy to apply and buff out. Very difficult to find as they don't advertise but have been around for 60 years or so. Mostly used by professional detailers. Meguiairs marine would be my second choice also a very good product. Protect all is not the way to go.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
......... If you can find Collinite Fleetwax # 885 in your area give it a try It is a Marine and Aeronautical wax.....
Collinite Fleetwax # 885 | eBay

Amazon.com: Collinite Fleetwax