Shore Power works and part of the 12v side does too - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Shore Power works and part of the 12v side does too

Got a dilemma... When I pick up my scamp, everything was working but the battery was on it's last legs. I put a new deep cycle battery in and now only the 12v lights on the lighter fuses (10a) work. The one fuse that is 25a keeps blowing every time I put power to it. tried various ways; put fuse in and then hook up battery, put the fuse in when battery already hooked up.... What I can tell is that the heavier fuse runs the water pump, furnace, (may run the fridge, not sure) and one 12v light. Any thoughts? BTW, I can hook the battery up either way and the other 12v lights work. When hooked up to shore power, everything works fine.
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Nothing in your Scamp draws 25 amps, unless you have an aftermarket inverter (not converter). I think you have a short somewhere. You can trace it down with a continuity tester, about $10.00. This one should work great. Probably $5.00 at Harbor Freight. God bless those Asian factories.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 1.06.41 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Are you sure you have the battery cables on correctly?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #4

Colorado
Charlie, yep, I tried them both ways. The weird thing is, the lights work either way I hook up the battery.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you have the stock Scamp wiring for the battery the white wire should go to the negative pole on the Battery. The Black wire should go to the positive pole on the battery. The positive wire may have a fuse on it near the battery and there may be another one right inside the trailer where it enters the fiberglass shell. If you hook it up backwards as you admit you did in one of your alternate connections you may also blow a fuse in your AC to DC converter if you have one. Also check to see if you have a reset button or breaker that may need to be reset on your power converter. Also do not hook up to your car until you get your wiring working properly as a crossed connection could cause allot of damage in your car.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This is what happens when somebody that doesn't know what they're doing and attempts to fix electrical problems. The cost of repair goes up and up. If not real heavy damage to the trailer.

Take the trailer to real electrician that understands RV trailer wiring. The more you mess with the more it's going to cost you.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
This is what happens when somebody that doesn't know what they're doing and attempts to fix electrical problems. The cost of repair goes up and up. If not real heavy damage to the trailer.

Take the trailer to real electrician that understands RV trailer wiring. The more you mess with the more it's going to cost you.
Not very sympathetic. but honest an accurate.
Wires are color coded for a reason and flopping them after
the damage is done usually does nothing to solve the PROBLEM.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #8

Colorado
Thanks for all the input. Turns out that it was a matter of pushing the 120v circuit breakers ALL THE WAY DOWN instead of just flipping off into the "popped" position. Everything is working fine. Note to self in Spring: Black to +, White to -.
:-)
Old 09-11-2015, 08:13 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Steve.

Casita puts a sticker inside the door of the battery compartment.
Better then a "note to self".

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #10

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
good
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Wow! I'm confused. I don't understand how the position of a 120 volt breaker could cause a 12 volt, 25 amp fuse to blow. Any ideas?
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
John
The 12 volt 25 amp fuse may have blown if/when the battery was hooked up backwards and tripping the 120 VAC circuit breaker at the same time.

When these breakers trip it's not real apparent they are tripped.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I took some 3M # 35 red phase marking tape and marked the positive battery lead red.
I took some 3M #88 and marked the negative battery lead black.
I taped the wires for about 8" starting at the crimped on lug that attaches to the battery.
Reversing the polarity causes too many issues that to me permanently marking the wires is better than a note to self
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote