Skylight or No Skylight? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
We are within days of buying a 21' BigFoot trailer and a couple of the choices have the factory skylight option and a couple do not. My choice at this time is that the skylight should be avoided due to experiences I have had with skylights (not in trailers however) being too much of a solar heater. While they provide light which is good, on a warm day they will increase the time that you need to run the air conditioner and the shade/curtain provided does little to block the heat. Any pro or con comments on the skylight option -- I don't want to rule out the units that have it if I am missing some advantages??
Thanks, Ed
Ed Calkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Well, I can't speak to the heat issue - but I'm thinking that laying in bed and looking up through a skylight at the stars would be pretty cool!!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On a previous big unit that i had ,I had a similar problem.To rectify this i cut up some 2inch stirofoam the same size as openings.When i wanted dark or or to block off skylight i stuck the precut peice of foam in opening.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I was living in my trailer, rather than getting away from it all for a few days, plus my bunk was raised next to the rear window for ventilation, so I didn't care about seeing the stars through the roof because I could see them from my window.

My preference is for a 'skylight' that opens, aka roof vent, because in hot weather, the more ventilation, the better. If I am going to put up with the solar effect in summer and the condensation effect in winter, I want more than just a clear panel. YMMV!!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #5

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
There was a skylight in the PlayPac. Being able to look up through it was kinda cool... except in the morning when I just wanted to sleep longer.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
The Trill1300 that I had, had an automotive aftermarket skylight above the bed.
It was really nice to be able to see outside at night laying there.
Mine also tipped open several inches and with the Fantastical Fan at the other end(5ft away)I got a nice breeze too.

It did leak but not too bad and I could fix it easily just not permanantly

I miss it now.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Ed:
The following may be a consideration: Our Burro is gleaming white fiberglass inside, with gravel shields front and rear. Even so, there are times when a skylight would really brighten it up, because all our windows except the door window are tinted. Very nice for privacy, but it does cut down on the light entering in. I wouldn't trade the tinted windows, but if yours have them, consider the loss of light. A skylight could be a good thing.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #8

Thks for all the comments. I think my negative thoughts have been replaced with a more neutral stance based on your comments. We won't let the skylight drive the selection as it does seem to have pros and cons and we can block/insulate it if the heat is an issue.
thks, Ed
Old 07-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Thks for all the comments. I think my negative thoughts have been replaced with a more neutral stance based on your comments. We won't let the skylight drive the selection as it does seem to have pros and cons and we can block/insulate it if the heat is an issue.
thks, Ed
Hi Ed. My last 3 trailers had skylights. My 96 Bigfoot has a narrow unit, but they install a wide unit in the newer Bigfoot trailers. I do like the natural light, and have ordered the skylight with shade on my 25FB. I believe that they trap heat, but able to cover does help. In my opinion where I live (British Columbia) the good outweights the bad.

Rick
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I love skylights!
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigfoot_21__.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	9164

The Bigfoot 21 trailers that I have seen put the skylight in the middle of the trailer, in the kitchen area. Not visible from either bed area for star gazing. Good for daylight illumination of kitchen work surfaces. While I wouldn't be upset if a used trailer has one, I wouldn't choose it as an option if I were buying new.
Attached Thumbnails
floor_trailers2500_25B21RB.jpg  
Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #12

Quote:
While I wouldn't be upset if a used trailer has one, I wouldn't choose it as an option if I were buying new.
My sentiments exactly, thanks, Ed
Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
I've seen the automotive type used to good advantage. They are larger than the average vent, let in
lots if light, tinted, plenty of air and something to think about if you need to reduce the height of your trailer by a couple of inches to enable you to park inside the garage.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #14

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Ed, having now had two Bigfoot trailers with the skylight, I should tell you that the skylights are dual thermo-paned, so the heat/cold transfer through the surfaces are minimal. They also come with a night shade that can be drawn across when desired. If you want it darker yet, or for long-term storage, the night shade makes it easy to support a lightweight piece of cardboard to slide into the skylight opening on top of the shade that blocks all light.

The 21' interior has always seemed a bit "close" to me, so I think that anything you can do to open it up and get more light in is good! The skylight really opens the living room of our 25', and seemed to make the interior of the 17' much brighter.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 Casita 17 ft
Ed---I have had two 1994 Bigfoot trailers with skylights and they both had leaks. They were/are just attached with screws through the thin skin and not to any backing. They can become loose and develop leaks. In the NW they have to be watched carefully.
Dick Smith
Dick Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I would love to have one in mine.. I was in Eric and Lorns beautiful new to them bigfoot and I really enjoyed the sky over the dinnette.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #17

Well, we finally got our trailer, thanks to all of you for the comments and advice. The BF 21'FB unit that we ended up buying did not have a skylight so that was decided for us. It has two fantastic fans (one exhaust by the stove and one two-way by the bed) that seem to work great. We have most of the options on our trailer and just had our first trip from Eugene, Oregon to where we live in northern Calif. We spent four days doing this and had a good experience for our first RV/trailer trip (tried the range from full hookups to dry camping)-- the BigFoot is great and we are very happy with the selection. Ed
Old 08-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
GREAT Ed, glad everything is working out to your satisfaction. Please keep in mind the Oregon Gathering 2008, I'd love to see it in person

PS: Now you get to change your profile from trailer type: none to BigFoot... through "My Controls."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #19

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
My 25B21RB had the kitchen skylight. Right between the sink and the dinette, centered. It never leaked and provided much needed light within the cabin area with the drapes closed. I'd rather have that skylight than not - anytime.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote