Slow Draining Sink - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Question Slow Draining Sink

What is safe to use in the Scamp bathroom sink to clean out toothpaste and soap sludge? Is liquid Drano okay for use in the plastic drain tubing, letting it sit for a while to help clear the tubing?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Shower also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
What is safe to use in the Scamp bathroom sink to clean out toothpaste and soap sludge? Is liquid Drano okay for use in the plastic drain tubing, letting it sit for a while to help clear the tubing?
Is the shower slow also? Mine has no sink trap, just a hose to the pump. Any kinks ?
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Do not use Drano or any chemical cleaners. It will damage your pipes. You may want to get a long plastic hair removal tool and snake it down from the top. Try several times to grab gunk and move it around to loosen things up. Then rinse with hot water, if possible. On our Bigfoot, I can remove the trap, too, but you may not have a trap. It may be possible for you to use a small plunger, too, to get things moving down the drain line.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Is the shower slow also? Mine has no sink trap, just a hose to the pump. Any kinks ?
We don't use the shower. It's just the small bathroom sink that drains very slowly.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #5

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Same pump

Quote:
We don't use the shower. It's just the small bathroom sink that drains very slowly.
The sink is pumped by the same pump that the shower uses. You may have a plugged filter. If you have this setup, you can pull the hose under the Rv and see if it drains. If so, you may need to clean the filter, and it is VERY hard to open the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Drainpumpfilter.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #6

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Scamp drain

We had the same issue with the filter on the drain pump.

Once I discovered it and added cleaning to our routine, life was wonderful
If a tree had not crushed the back of the shell we would likely still be in our Scamp.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #7

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Cleaning the sink drain

After using Draino in my house bathroom sink, the chemical took the finish off my pewter drain stopper. My plumber said never use chemicals; periodically flush drain with Dawn dish detergent and hot water. Should work with FRG sink and shower drain.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #8

Name: Steven and Paula
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
snake and vent

There are two possible reasons. 1 a clog in the drain pipe or 2. a clog in the vent pipe.
For 1. disconnect the pee trap or use a "snake to fish through the clog
For 2. the vent could be plug from above - each model has different venting

1 is the most probable problem
Old 07-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you have the filter and a pump then it has to be cleaned regularly or it will plug completely.
There might not be a P trap as the pump acts as a check valve if the shower and drain are connected. If they are connected I wonder why the water does not back up into the shower floor?
If it has always been slow then perhaps there is insufficient venting for the gray tank.
Our non Scamp kitchen sink is slow but then the hose to is is small and shared with the shower drain which is pumped. I have a waterless trap for the sink to keep the pumped shower water and gases from the gray tank out of the trailer.
In our Scamp the gray tank is behind the axle under the dance floor and the small drain line has a pretty long distance to go. The vent is (in my case) two 1" hoses since the original sink was in a different place and I used that barbed fitting for an extra vent.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
If you go to a hardware store and ask for a pee trap... good luck
It is actually called a P trap... based on the shape/not the fluids
My god this covid19 has gotten to me.... I cannot believe I’m actually responding to a simple typo
Now back to our regular programming
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
My god this covid19 has gotten to me.... I cannot believe I’m actually responding to a simple typo
What else are you gonna do? You can't go out and have a beer!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #12

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Absolutely no Drano. Try putting white vinegar and baking soda down the sink. Let sit for a couple of hours or more and pour down hot water. If it is gunk that will help and it is safe. The vinegar will make the baking soda foam up. If you can put hot water in first. If the baking soda won't go down drain then put it in and add the vinegar to make it go down.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #13

Name: Steven and Paula
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
That's funny. I didn't realize that I had type it out that way. Good one Alan. Hope you are enjoying summer.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Replace the drain hose. Take pictures first.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #15

Massachusetts
I'll let y'all know what works best. I've done the hot water routine first. Now to camp and test the results.

If a 13' Scamp has a vent on the gray water tank, I have no earthly idea where to look for it. Seems like it would be somewhere at the top of the tank but that area is hidden under the frame of the trailer.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #16

Florida
I can't speak for the 13' Scamp but the 16' has a vent as a 1" hose out of the tank. Mine looped up through the floor and back down towards the ground.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #17

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I can't speak for the 13' Scamp but the 16' has a vent as a 1" hose out of the tank. Mine looped up through the floor and back down towards the ground.
Is your hose located under one of the bench seats where you can access it?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #18

Florida
In my case the original 16' Scamp had a sink on the street side and the drain from it went to the gray tank and entered on the top of the tank on that side. I can't remember how that was routed, but just behind it on that side was a second barb sticking up through the floor that was the vent. These were in the front street side top of the gray tank. I actually set both hose barbs up with 1" hoses looped through the floor and back under the trailer for my vents.
The other side of the tank had a barb near the top that was horizontal and that one went to the shower drain that was originally a side shower and it's hose ran along the side of the trailer frame.
Now I use that drivers side hose for the drain from the driver's side sink and the pumped drain from a front center shower drain.
Look from the bottom along the sides of the frame for a 1" hose sticking down. Perhaps dirt daubers have built a nest in it.
I cant say how an unmodified Scamp would be as mine has a bunk over it and they actually pass through an outside access storage bin under the bed.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #19

Name: Bill
Pennsylvania
Had the same issue with water backing up in the shower. Pulled the filter and cleaned it and everything drained just fine.....and Kenneth is right...it is difficult to unscrew the first time!
Bill L in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #20

Massachusetts
Not only does the bathroom sink drain quickly, the kitchen sink drain is working much better.

I plan to clean the shower filter on an annual basis from this point forward!