small holes in roof - how to repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Currently Shopping - Fiberstream
Minnesota
small holes in roof - how to repair

1984 Fiber Stream.

We had just cleaned out our recently acquired Fiber Stream. After a rain, I noticed water in the shower pan. When I looked up I could see tiny bits of sunlight coming in through the roof. Upon inspection of the roof I could see small holes in the gel coat. It was hard to photograph in the sun.
Here are some photos. What is the best way to fix these?

There are also a couple of these holes on the back that might the source of the musky smell in the closet.

rmcgeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
How much to you like to work on stuff. You can clean the area and grind off some gellcoat then fill with resin and fiber then regellcoat like new or just use a dab of 5200 on the cleaned area and move on. Its your choice. Just dont seal with silicone.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

Minnesota
Thanks Steve.

Any thoughts on - he is grinding out slightly but then just using gel coat.

or use this poly fairing compound? https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...iring+Compound

or
https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...iring+Compound

I'm a little nervous to go at with a grinder and use fiberglass and resin and then gelcoat - there is not much there...

Here are some photos from inside the shower stall

Old 08-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Yep thats the way to do it if you have the time energy, and expense. Hope your trailer is brite white other wise you need a color tint kit too.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #5

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
If you have access to the inside, opposite of the gel coat, why not grind to clean the area and add a layer or two of glass and epoxy there. Don't touch the gel coat if you don't have to.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Minnesota
Good point. I think I will end up doing a little to both, thanks!
Old 08-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #7

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Having, in the past, a number of years of owning and working on fiberglass boats, I'd say you may have on ongoing problem. In boat molding, and I suppose trailer molding is the same, the mold is first sprayed with gel coat. When that is cured several layers of fiberglass cloth is laid in with polyester resin. Or, more cheaply done, chopped fiberglass strands are sprayed in with the resin (known as chopper-gun laminate). Actually, your underneath pictures look like chopper-gun. In any case, if not properly rolled/squeegeed out bubbles can be left in the laminate. Gel coat is hard and brittle and will crack if not supported, so it will eventually crack and open up over bubbles. That looks like what is happening to your trailer. Note all the little gray spots around the black holes. Probably more bubbles under the gel coat which will eventually break open. (Amongst boaties there was also a question of polyestermite infestation.) You might want to consult with a fiberglass boat repairer/refinisher if there is one near you.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote