Snap caps and fridge control access - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
I can handle simple tools, but will never be mistaken for a mechanic.

1. Doing my annual Casita wash and wax, I noticed several of the plastic rivet snap caps have broken off. I know they can be replaced, but meanwhile… Is this purely cosmetic, or am I likely to get rain leaks if I don’t replace them promptly?

2. The control knob (AC – DC – GAS – OFF) on my Dometic Americana 4 cf fridge broke off. It looks like part of it is still attached, so I can’t just replace it, I need to get access to remove what’s left of the old one. I use a small nosed vise grip for now. I believe the control panel cover is supposed to swing out and up – there are locking tab releases underneath – but the Casita (2003 17 SD) installation prevents that with two rivets and a caulk seal to the fiberglass enclosure. How do I get it open without damaging anything, or should I just take it to an RV repair shop?

Thanks much for any help!
Bob Smucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I suppose it's possible to get leaks if they weren't sealed, but my main concern would be the quick demise of the snap rings if they are still on there. A little dab of clear RTV sealant and pop a new cap back on and you are good to go. If you wait too long and the snap rings go, you are talking a lot more work.

Sorry, I have an old 16', so I can't help with the fridge thingy.

Good to see you.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bob, there may be something in the Document Center to help with the refer problem:
Document Center - Manuals - Refrigerators
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Bob,

The part you're talking about does not swing out and up. To remove it, drill out the two 1/8" rivets and cut through the silicone. To replace it, re-rivet and caulk.

You should not have to remove it to get that knob off. Just pull (it's very tight) straight out and press the new one back on. Order a new knob from Casita.

I sugest you edit your profile to add your trailer manufacturer and type: model, year and length. Click on My Controls at the top of this page.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge