Snoozy owners, a question for you, + info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Snoozy owners, a question for you, + info

Snoozy owners, is your mattress from the factory a regular queen size, 60" x 80"? Or do you have a shorter "rv" mattress 76" long? Or what?

Today I removed the false floor from my Lil Hauley and swept it out, in preparation for adding a row of cabinets up front (which will extend my 40" shelf to accommodate a decent mattress). While measuring the nose, I realized that the side taper up front really intrudes on the mattress area for the last 7" or 8". Since the inside width is only 79" to begin with, it seems like I'd have a hard time keeping a mattress up there when the corners are being compressed. Seems like it would want to work its way backward.

Does the wood "surround" (going over the top and on both sides) hold the mattress in place? Or is there something else that keeps it from walking out of the nose during travel?

Now for my info to all Snoozy owners: after about 50,000 miles of use, I discovered that half of the bolts holding the shell to the frame were loose, and one nut was missing! I put a vise grip on the bolt heads and had my wife stand on it while I tightened the nuts from below. A couple of the bolts and washers had pulled partway through the fiberglass body, so I added fender washers to those (and replaced the old nylock nuts with new centerlocks I had lying around). So my advice is, check your hardware periodically!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vise grips. Carriage bolts?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

Oklahoma
No, they just used regular hex head bolts. Carriage bolts would have meant making a square hole in the fiberglass... more work, I guess.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
No, they just used regular hex head bolts. Carriage bolts would have meant making a square hole in the fiberglass... more work, I guess.
Good. Rusty carriage bolts can be a nightmare to remove. Sounds like the lil hauly is becoming a lil snoozy. Remember, we like pictures.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Snoozy owners, a question for you, + info

The side surround does hold the RV size queen in place. We never liked the factory mattress. It was comfortable but very hard to make up .We replaced ours with queen size self inflating pad with a 3" memory foam over it.

When I built my side dinette. I found a couple of the body bolts were pulled into the fiberglass. I think the factory guy used an impact wrench. I never messed with the bolts since they were tight and holding good.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Mike, the Queen mattress IS a regular "home" sized queen, but the nose shape does distort the mattress in this area. I never used the factory mattress very long, as I wanted to add gas lifting struts to a full access panel under the mattress, so it was necessary to change to something lighter (we use our inflatable camping pads). The original mattress never moved because it was captured by the wood surround that the curtain hangs from.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01178.jpg   DSC01439.jpg  

DSC01422.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Charlie and Dave, thanks for the helpful answers.

I was debating between using a couple of foam layers (bottom layer fairly firm, top layer memory foam) or an ordinary mattress. I'm now leaning toward the foam, which I can cut to size in those rounded corners. I guess I need to include something to hold it in place... probably not the full surround, but something.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #8

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
I was wondering how hard it was to remove the factory mattress.
Have wanted to replace with a lighter weight mattress that would make getting sheets on easier.
Any hints appreciated.
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
For me it was really difficult because I had already installed full 12"x12"x36" overhead cabinets on both walls, which meant that I had to try to fold the very stiff and heavy mattress almost in half to gain enough room to turn it to get it on it's side to bring it down the isle and out the back door.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #10

North Carolina
Registry
Ours came out fairly easy. You do have to bend it some. I took ours out and hinged the ply deck. I put down a layer of the foam play tiles from Lowes for insulation, then the 3" self inflating pad, then a 3" memory foam. It is very comfortable and easy to take out if needed. It is also warmer.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Ours came out fairly easy. You do have to bend it some. I took ours out and hinged the ply deck. I put down a layer of the foam play tiles from Lowes for insulation, then the 3" self inflating pad, then a 3" memory foam. It is very comfortable and easy to take out if needed. It is also warmer.

What brand is that self-inflating pad? Sounds interesting.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
What brand is that self-inflating pad? Sounds interesting.
Mike,

It looks like an Alps Mountaineering pad. We have a pair we purchasedfrom Amazon as linked here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really liked them within their limits. They are self-inflating and you can add a little puff of air too make them a bit firmer. We topped them with a 4-inch foam pad in our teardrop and really liked them.

We also used them under the Casita dinette cushions and they helped, but the welting in the Casita cushions seemed to even poke through a cloth sleeping bag that we used as a topper. So, we recently bought an 8-inch custom mattress which I recently posted about.

You might investigate the Amazon reviews further and see if you think they might be a good fit for you. They sure did well for us until we had the welting to deal with.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #13

North Carolina
Registry
Ours are Camp Rite. We go it from Amazon.