So...we bought a 95' 13 ft Scamp today!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: Whitney
Trailer: 1995 Scamp!
California
So...we bought a 95' 13 ft Scamp today!!

It is great condition, but would like to remove the "fuzzy" insulation on the walls. Any suggestions?
AbitWhitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitWhitty View Post
It is great condition, but would like to remove the "fuzzy" insulation on the walls. Any suggestions?
You should keep the rat fur and clean it. The rat fur wicks moisture out of the trailer.
chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

California
Thanks! I'm just so not a huge fan of it!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The inner covering acts as insulation and helps prevent condensation. Plus as mentioned in prev. post acts as an absorbent/wick to deal with the condensation that does take place.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The "rat fur" does several things. It deadens sounds, so the inside of the trailer is much quieter than outside. It provides insulation.
Under the "rat fur" is a layer of Mylar bubble. It's foil, Mylar,foil that is glued to the fiberglass shell. If you try to remove the "rat fur" you'll end up removing some of the Mylar insulation, creating one heck of big mess. Also everyplace you remove the Mylar lots of light will come through the thin fiberglass shell.

I would suggest you keep it for a while. Then if you really really feel the need to get rid of it, sell the Scamp and get something that has solid walls, Trillium, Burro, UHaul, and others.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

California
Thanks for all the helpful information. I think since everything else needs updated, that rat fur is just standing out more than normal. Once I remove the carpet and update the cabinets and hardware, I hope to not even notice it.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I'm not a big fan of the rat fur either but I agree that as others have said you will be sorry you removed it as it does serve a number of very positive purposes. Dont think I would be nearly as comfortable camping in mine if it was not on the walls. Its actually a marine grade covering still used a lot inside boats as well. You will notice that older Scamps dont have it (they had a different product) so it was something that Scamp added after recognizing the short comings of what they used previously.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Whitney,

The worse thing about the marine fabric used in the Scamp is that people call it 'rat fur'. The fabric along with the insulation work very well.

Our wall covering is now 21 years old and still looks great.

We have had three trailers. The first had a thin layer of 'wood' with 'mylar'. Definetely looked worn and dated after 20 years. We followed it with a Casita 16. The walls were covered with grey carpet, no insulation backing. Though we liked the look of the Casita's walls I believe the Scamp is better insulated and warmer.

The Scamp fabric really stands up well. Seems to not absorb water, probably because it's plastic based. I like it, my only reservation is that it has a few seams.

There are many things one can do to improve the usefulness of fiberglass trailers, in my mind replacing the wall covering is way down the list.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #9

California
Thank you for all of your feedback! I too think that of all the things I could do, that should be further down the list. It's in really good shape, but want to class it up a bit and bring it to 2012. Pictures to come!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I think that the "Ratfur"/reflextix is the best lining offered on any fiberglass trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitWhitty View Post
Thank you for all of your feedback! I too think that of all the things I could do, that should be further down the list. It's in really good shape, but want to class it up a bit and bring it to 2012. Pictures to come!

2012 Scamp trailers have "rat fur".
Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream 16 ft
our 1996 scamp's rat fur has an area where it seems to be separating from the shell. i would love to hear any ideas on how to fix.
Ray and Amy Coapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Amy Coapman View Post
our 1996 scamp's rat fur has an area where it seems to be separating from the shell. i would love to hear any ideas on how to fix.
You don't say whether the reflextix is separating or just the fabric. but either way 3M makes a spray glue to handle it. You can make a needle point puncture in the middle of the sag and with the use of a straw nozzle, inject the spray glue.Move the nozzle around to spread the glue,then push it back in place. If it sags again right away, then wait 10-15 seconds then press it back into place.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You will notice that older Scamps dont have it (they had a different product) so it was something that Scamp added after recognizing the short comings of what they used previously.
Are you sure that was the situation Carol? Or was it that the Ensolite used in earlier Scamps and many other trailers was no longer being produced.

I agree with the rest, if you don't like the "rat fur", sell the trailer and buy and earlier model or something else. Taking it out is a big job. Replacing it is expensive and labour intensive. Something similar to what was used in earlier generations is now available at Trillium RV.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Are you sure that was the situation Carol? Or was it that the Ensolite used in earlier Scamps and many other trailers was no longer being produced.
Good point Roy - its hard to say why for sure - it may well have been that the company that Scamp was getting their Ensolite from stopped making it but if I am not mistaken other companies have continue to make it & still do today (it continued to be used in some boats) so it may be hard to say without asking Scamp why they stopped using the brand of Ensolite that they were when they switched to Rat Fur. It may have been a short supply or a cost factor (other manufacturers more costly?) or they may have decided the Rat Fur was a better product for insulation - which I think those who have been in an older Scamp that had only ensolite and not rat fur would agree
Old 07-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
if I am not mistaken other companies have continue to make it {added by Roy (Ensolite)} & still do today
I would like to know who continues to make "Ensolite" with the black closed cell foam and outer vinyl layer that many of us are familiar with. My understanding is that many have been hunting down the material for a number of years. I have had an opportunity to see and touch Trillium RV's replacement and noticed that it is a light colour foam and did not see the outer "white vinyl" layer.

I think it might match closely when painted.

I apologize for taking this thread off topic.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
I would like to know who continues to make "Ensolite" with the black closed cell foam and outer vinyl layer that many of us are familiar with. .
Have no idea Roy who makes what they are using in boats but a check search turned this up which may be a good start if you are looking for some. Or these guys might be worth asking.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #18

Both good finds Carol. I've been here about 6 years and you are the first to find anything like this that looks this positive. Well worthy of sending a sample to to see if they have something like the original.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Both good finds Carol. I've been here about 6 years and you are the first to find anything like this that looks this positive. Well worthy of sending a sample to to see if they have something like the original.
LOL You might want to send them an email asking for more details first.
I know that not so long ago in marine catalogs such as Defender they had a closed cell headliner in them.... cant see it now only a thin 1/4" foam backed liner
Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #20

Name: Shirley
Trailer: In the market
Texas
I'm almost afarid to ask, not real "rat fur" right?
Texas Siren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp