"solo woman" question re general maintenance required for trailer vs class B - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Everything requires maintenance. The amount of maintenance required usually increases with age. A new unit requires very little maintenance and comes with a warranty. Older units are cheaper to buy for a reason. When you figure in the cost of this maintenance the financial advantage of an older unit may disappear.
Hitching isn't difficult and greatly facilitated by a rear view camera on your tug.
New means little to no maintenance for quite some time. New also means that you can select a unit that has the features you want and in a size you are comfortable with.
I've done all my own maintenance for 30+ years and quite a bit for others as well. I bought new in '05. Nothing to fix, everything working, nothing to do but enjoy it.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How often the anode needs replacing depends on the water in the water heater tank. We have soft water in Vancouver, so I finally replaced my anode at around 8 years. If you have really hard water, you might have to replace it after six months. It's checked every year when winterizing my trailer. First picture is my anode after 8 years. As you can see, it's good for a while longer, but I replaced it because it is cheap. Second picture shows what an anode looks like when it needs replacement.

Deb, your husband was thinking the way I did...if you want something done RIGHT, then do it yourself.

I my wife's case we are selling our motorhome and she will be purchasing a fiberglass trailer so she can keep rolling..and I encourage this. While I am around, She will get the basics of backing, and towing (although we towed with the motorhome which isn't quite the same) and which RV Camping center to have the wheel bears done.

I wish you both luck and will be watching from above ( I hope )

Maybe you''ll run into her
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Scamp 13 ft (former 1985 Scamp 16 ft)
Registry
For what it's worth, I'm now 65, and I've been towing my Scamp (1st a 16 ft & now a 13 ft.) all by myself since 1985! As a single mom, my 2 daughters & I have visited every state in America with the Scamp (except Hawaii...Scamp doesn't float, lol), all Canadian Providences, and back in the day, down into Mexico. Even though the girls are grown now with families of their own, I still run around wherever & whenever I want! Soooo....don't be afraid to get out there and do it on your own! Whatever you don't know, others in campgrounds have always seemed very amicable and helpful as a rule. Whatever rig you decide on, go for it girl!!!
Robbilayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #24

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Debi
I do think a trailer would be the better option, but then pretty well everyone here is a trailer addict.
Two things I'd like to emphasize in defense of that choice.
First, there are no roof seams on a molded fiberglass trailer, so that would no longer be an issue. For the most part our leaks are around widows and vents and even they are rather uncommon.
Secondly, whatever you wind up paying, resale values for our eggs remain surprisingly high, whereas class B values tend to plummet pretty quickly. That's mostly due to durability and frequency/cost of repairs. Eggs just don't wear out much.
All three of the used eggs I've purchased I've sold for more than I paid, admittedly partly due to upgrades I've done.

Good luck on your hunt and we all hope to see you down the road.

Walt
Old 04-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
First, there are no roof seams on a molded fiberglass trailer, so that would no longer be an issue.
I know what you're saying but this isn't true when you're talking about the Burro, U-Haul or Companion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #26

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know what you're saying but this isn't true when you're talking about the Burro, U-Haul or Companion.
True, but I don't think Debi will be looking at legacy trailers.

Walt
Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #27

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A once a year trip to an RV dealer should be sufficient. You can have them grease the bearings, check the stove, fridge, propane lines, make sure the battery is in good condition, test the brakes and trailer lights, etc. No doubt they have a set fee for such a yearly service call. Just call your local RV service locations and ask them about it. There are even mobile RV services around that will come to you.

Of course things don't always fail on schedule such as issues with fridges, stoves, water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners. But that is true of appliances in stick and brick houses as well as in RVs.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #28

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiT View Post
Hi all. I am cross-posting this on the iRV2.com forum as well.

I'm a recent widow, 61 and fit, who loved RVing with my husband in our 31" Class A, mostly at our local beach campgrounds. I'm selling that for 2 main reasons: no way can I, or probably anyone else, back it into our side yard with literally 2 inches clearance on the roof eaves, and the level of routine maintenance required is just too much for me. He used to get up on the rubber roof at least twice a year to check seals, and often had to touch them up, especially the front cap seal (1995 Seabreeze).

I want to keep camping, and I've been going back and forth between wondering if I can manage a very small travel trailer, esp the hitching part (starting to feel better about that), or a class B type, but with approx a $20K RV budget would be looking at early to mid-90's Dodge or Fords with easily 100K miles on them. (I have a separate budget for a new vehicle, needed regardless, so I'm not worried about that for this purpose)

I'm beginning to realize that everything needs maintenance. Overall I think I would prefer a newer trailer over an older class B, but I'm not sure. In thinking about it, I guess the thing I'm most concerned about is leak prevention in general and the roof in particular. Apparently trailers also need bearings packed at intervals, but that doesn't sound too scary. I know I can seal windows occasionally; I guess it's visualizing and dealing with the roof that worries me. But both types of units have roofs. Is a fiberglass roof, like Scamp/Casita/etc easier to maintain? Do they require the same frequency of inspection around the A/C, vents, etc?

So here is my question: what sort of maintenance does either unit require on a regular basis in terms of roofs, windows, etc (apart from class B engine), is there really any major difference in what is required? For you men, if your wife were comfortable with driving, backing and hitching a trailer, , which would you recommend (very small trailer or older class b) if she were in my situation?

Thanks so much for any help you can give here.
We own a 17' Casita and a 21.5 ft (actually measures 23' bumper to bumper) class C motorhome. If I had to choose one I'd own the class C. My husband agrees. We feel the motorhome is safer as far as if we have to stop at night and not in a campground. That way if someone bothers us we can take off without getting out of the RV. We've heard of people that get their rig taken while they are in the trailer. If it is storming and we have to pull off then we are already inside our RV with the class C. That has happened a few times. The class C is easy to park and drive. They are also cheaper than a class B. As far as maintenance of course you have the drive train and engine in a motorhome but then you have that in a tow vehicle. A tow vehicle in itself is pretty expensive for a good one. The draw back is having to drive the motorhome everywhere but when we are in national parks and places like that we have our bathroom and food with us at all times. With the trailer we can unhook but then don't have the bathroom with us. We have an easier time parking the motorhome than the trailer. Campsites are easier to find with the motorhome since it fits anywhere. Sometimes getting gas with the Casita is a little harder to fit in smaller cheaper stations. Our class C does not have any slides which we don't want as they seem to be problematic in many cases. We bought our class C new for $50,000. A good used one with low miles can be gotten fairly cheaply. We bought one from a rental company once that had 15,000 miles on it for half of a new one that was only a year old. With a motorhome you know how many miles are on it where with a trailer you have no clue how many miles or how rough it's treated. Maybe this will help you with a decision.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #29

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Currently shopping
CA
All good points. But alone I can't back an RV into the side yard, and I don't want to maintain an RV roof. Selling our 95 class A Seabreeze for these reasons.
DebiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd get one, or the other, or neither. Stay in motels. Get from place to place in a Miata convertible.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #31

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiT View Post
All good points. But alone I can't back an RV into the side yard, and I don't want to maintain an RV roof. Selling our 95 class A Seabreeze for these reasons.
Our motorhome is a 2012 and so far haven't had to do one thing to the roof. The RV is the size of a 4 door long bed pickup basically in length. Your Seabreeze is huge compared to ours. Class C's are shorter in height also. We've had a few Class C's and 3 Class A's. We know we'd never own a class A again. They are to bulky, harder to drive and to big. We've looked at Class B's but they cost more and don't have the room we need. I'd stay away from an old RV. Parts are hard to get and they are wore out by 75,000 miles a lot of the time.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I see the title of this is "Solo Woman" so I'm going to assume that means you plan on spending most of your time traveling alone. I CAN RELATE TO THAT! And this is NOT to discount or disrespect anyone's answer that's been provided... but pay attention to those that say "WE" when you need to think "ME." There's a huge difference in needs when you're the only one doing all the driving/setup/breakdown/maintenance and on and on. You won't have anyone else to help.... other than the kindness of strangers when you're "on the road."

That said... NO ONE is born with a towing/backup gene. Everyone has to learn. You can learn just as well as anyone else, I promise. You already have more skills and more knowledge than you know. All it takes is some confidence to move forward. The only other option, is you don't.

There's a big, beautiful life out there waiting. Just don't wait to long....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:19 AM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I am a 6' tall overweight mid 60s single dude with an astronomy habit-er-hobby. I found the Casita 16 SD was perfect for solo trips, but my wife and I found it too cramped for dual trips, and we used it for 2 years and 1000s of miles. So now we have an escape 21, which when I'm solo, feels ridiculous

so yeah, a 16' or 17' casita deluxe would work great for you, I bet. the 16 has a lower roof line, and sligthly smaller dinette and smaller fridge. the 17 can optionally have larger water and grey tanks, and I would for SURE want those if I got another casita.

having your own bathroom is awesome, I hate using porta potties and nasty pit bathhouses in campgrounds.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I see the title of this is "Solo Woman" so I'm going to assume that means you plan on spending most of your time traveling alone. I CAN RELATE TO THAT! And this is NOT to discount or disrespect anyone's answer that's been provided... but pay attention to those that say "WE" when you need to think "ME." There's a huge difference in needs when you're the only one doing all the driving/setup/breakdown/maintenance and on and on. You won't have anyone else to help.... other than the kindness of strangers when you're "on the road."

That said... NO ONE is born with a towing/backup gene. Everyone has to learn. You can learn just as well as anyone else, I promise. You already have more skills and more knowledge than you know. All it takes is some confidence to move forward. The only other option, is you don't.

There's a big, beautiful life out there waiting. Just don't wait to long....
True Donna D, Debit, we are we campers, but I totally enjoy talking with the solo campers and most seem to be women for some reasons at the Casita rallies. I'm very impressed on there trailer skills and how well they can do things, in many cases better then many of the we campers. Many got there skills the old fashion way, by hands on experience. There was always help at the rallies from other attendees if someone needed help from backing into a site, or just setting up the trailer, in some cases too much help. Going to the rallies will probably benefit the most as many there are willing to help the new person and make them feel comfortable. Also you will need towing experience, so get someone that has road experience in towing, they can be found at churches, local social groups, friends who know friends, many out there have trailers and go camping. Start today on your new adventure.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #35

Name: P
Washington
If I say, "we" it means my dog is included. I have a 17' Casita.

I have done the waxing myself. Instead of climbing up on the trailer, I have a sturdy ladder and a long handled --handle that has a screw on end. I got a screw on attachment that holds a terry cloth dusting rag and I spread on the wax with that. Then I have a clean rag that I use the same way to wipe off the wax.

I have the wheel bearings inspected and repacked by a local RV shop.

I winterize it by myself with an air compressor. That's about all the maintenance needed. A simple trailer doesn't need a lot--no slideouts, no electronics, etc. Simple is good.

There is the usual stuff that is more of a checking than a maintaining. You'll need a tire pressure gauge and also need to carry some kind of a lug wrench to tighten the lug nuts should they come loose, or to change the tire if you have a flat. I have a special socket wrench for the hot water heater drain plug and anode. It makes a good self defense weapon if you are worried about that. I also carry a giant adjustable wrench which can be used on the trailer hitch nut but so far have just dropped it on a bare foot which made for some bad words spoken.

Hitching up sometimes goes flawlessly when nobody is watching. Then, if there is an audience, it will not go flawlessly. The same rules apply to backing up.

Just stay calm and don't rush and things will work out. I'm trying to figure out where to go this week. That is the hardest part for me.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #36

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post

Hitching up sometimes goes flawlessly when nobody is watching. Then, if there is an audience, it will not go flawlessly. The same rules apply to backing up.
Amen, SlowPat and Donna! I've been a solo traveler for a few years and primary driver for many more. It just takes practice. (And an awareness of Pat's rule!) Don't be afraid to ask a nearby person to spot for you, if you're not comfortable. And if your backing effort just isn't going right, just pull out and drive around. In my experience, rushing leads to problems (and sometimes an encounter with a water pipe. )

I also always use a checklist when closing up, hitching, or uncoupling. It really helps prevent problems.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m not a solo traveler, but backing in is best done alone. I find out where my wife wants the trailer (skip that step if solo), then I send them all off to check out the bathroom or the beach... anything.

I put a folding chair right where I want the back corner of the trailer to end up (on the side I can see in my mirror) and use it as a target. It does not move, nor make any unintelligible hand-wavings. It does not tell me to hurry up or slow down, or turn left and then turn right... but just sits there patiently until a gentle nudge against the chair lets me know I’m done.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Brilliant Jon.
Much better than looking in the mirror and finding your better half is watching eagles flying overhead or in deep discussion with another camper.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #39

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Similar to Jon, if we are camping as a couple, I do 100% of the driving, backing in and so on. I really like the chair idea. And when I am camping with the Trillium, then its always solo. Three solo trips so far this year, and three couples trips. Next up is another solo trip. I am the camper in the family.

Back up camera helps a lot, not just in hitching up to the trailer, but in backing up too, as I can easily see if I am jacknifing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #40

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m not a solo traveler, but backing in is best done alone. I find out where my wife wants the trailer (skip that step if solo), then I send them all off to check out the bathroom or the beach... anything.

I put a folding chair right where I want the back corner of the trailer to end up (on the side I can see in my mirror) and use it as a target. It does not move, nor make any unintelligible hand-wavings. It does not tell me to hurry up or slow down, or turn left and then turn right... but just sits there patiently until a gentle nudge against the chair lets me know I’m done.
I agree with others, that's an awesome idea, Jon. Much easier than training a bystander! Will use that technique in a few weeks.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote