Steam cleaning Casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My wife and I own a carpet steam cleaner that we use in the house. It has all kinds of attachments for getting into corners, stairs, etc.

Have any of you Casita owners used a steam cleaner on the walls of your trailer? Our Casita is in perfect shape, but we were speculating on using the steam cleaner sometime down the road and were wondering how it might work. Any experiences with this appreciated.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
I don't own one of those steam cleaners, so I can't give any experiences with them at all.

But, I think if I did own one- there wouldn't be much use for it in the trailer since heat/water can really loosen up things I may not want loosened in the trailer! Like glue! I can picture the steam just ruining any glue or paint. and melting other things. I'd be hesitant to use it in my Scamp.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #3

That makes sense.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
When reading the thread I had the same thought. The steam would or could cause the glue to lose adhesion. Since steam or heat is used to remove wallpaper I think you would regret using an actual steam cleaner on the carpeted walls.

Bob, you stated that you have a home steam cleaner. The term "Steam Cleaner" that you buy for the home in my opinion is a misrepresentation. All of the ones I ever saw or used never got hot enough to produce actual steam; they only sprayed out hot water. I would think that if you only used warm water to just barely dampen the carpet and immediately vacuum it would help freshen the carpet but I would not soak it to remove a stain. For stains I have had good luck with dry carpet cleaner, brush it in let it dry and vacuum the stain away.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Bob, you stated that you have a home steam cleaner. The term "Steam Cleaner" that you buy for the home in my opinion is a misrepresentation. All of the ones I ever saw or used never got hot enough to produce actual steam; they only sprayed out hot water. I would think that if you only used warm water to just barely dampen the carpet and immediately vacuum it would help freshen the carpet but I would not soak it to remove a stain. For stains I have had good luck with dry carpet cleaner, brush it in let it dry and vacuum the stain away.
Yeah, you're right. It doesn't really make steam. Just gets the water hot. Ours does an amazing job on the carpets in the house.

As I said, our Casita is perfectly fine and in great shape. We were just wondering how it might fare if we ever felt the need to clean the carpeted walls someday.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Bob,
Have you checked with Casita? I imagine this has probably come up before and they would have the definitive answer.
When we purchased our Casita we were concerned with the cleanliness of carpeted walls and ceiling. They didn't appear to need it, but we vacuumed them anyway. There was nothing to speak of in the vacuum cleaner and no change in the carpet appearance.
We are still curious though, since we may feel the need in the future. We would use a machine rented from a market.
Please keep us posted on further developments.
Thanks for bringing up this subject.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
All the carpet in the casita's are I'm sure glued in with a solvent based contact cement and hot water shouldn't hurt it at all. We did ours last fall with a carpet cleaner but not sure it was a steam job. I know it did a great job. Before I gave up on the idea I think I'd give it a go in some obscure place like inside a cabinet.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
I would think that they may use a water based adhesive. Many areas have strict controls on solvent based products and OSHA is a pain when dealing with solvents. If they did use water based, it could easily come loose.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita