Sticky Situation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 13 ft Scamp
I've just aquired a 13 scamp and the interior wall covering is sticky. Does anyone have any tips on resolving this sticky situation???????

Thanks, Clint
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
I've just aquired a 13 scamp and the interior wall covering is sticky. Does anyone have any tips on resolving this sticky situation???????

Thanks, Clint
I just aquired a 16 ft scamp this week and I had the same problem. I read the forum then headed down to Wally World and Lowes to start my science project in 100 degree east coast weather. Trust me it's not a dry heat in the east. My favorite cleaner, Awesome which usually cleans anything just made things worse. Simple Green had just about the same result and. they both gave of fairly stong odors.
What worked. 1.Greased Litening Blast Orange Powered, Auto Shop Degreaser (WW). Scrub with a brush then wipe off with paper towel. 2. Wipe down with Dawn dish washing liguid (WW) and water scrub again wipe off with another clean paper towel. 3. Then wet another paper towel with denatured alchol((Lowes) and wipe down again. The top piece of material in my trailer was the most sticky but I wiped everything down anyway. The previous owner had removed the tape from the seams and sealed all the seams with white RTV. Need to keep the alchol away from soaking down any RTV. The tape that remained in my trailer is still yellow and stained. I did about a 3'X 3" area per application and worked my way around the inside the trailer. One Quart of each item should do a 13 footer. You also might want to pick-up a couple quarts of beer while you are out, With the heat we both have this time of year, I think this is also a critical part of the cleaning formula.
Good Luck, Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 13 ft Scamp
LOL Thanks Eddie Out west here it's been round 115 "But it's a Dry heat" Tell that to my sweat soaked self....... Do you think it was the denatured alcohol? I agree with the other alcohol also. Thanks, Clint
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I just aquired a 16 ft scamp this week and I had the same problem. I read the forum then headed down to Wally World and Lowes to start my science project in 100 degree east coast weather. Trust me it's not a dry heat in the east. My favorite cleaner, Awesome which usually cleans anything just made things worse. Simple Green had just about the same result and. they both gave of fairly stong odors.
What worked. 1.Greased Litening Blast Orange Powered, Auto Shop Degreaser (WW). Scrub with a brush then wipe off with paper towel. 2. Wipe down with Dawn dish washing liguid (WW) and water scrub again wipe off with another clean paper towel. 3. Then wet another paper towel with denatured alchol((Lowes) and wipe down again. The top piece of material in my trailer was the most sticky but I wiped everything down anyway. The previous owner had removed the tape from the seams and sealed all the seams with white RTV. Need to keep the alchol away from soaking down any RTV. The tape that remained in my trailer is still yellow and stained. I did about a 3'X 3" area per application and worked my way around the inside the trailer. One Quart of each item should do a 13 footer. You also might want to pick-up a couple quarts of beer while you are out, With the heat we both have this time of year, I think this is also a critical part of the cleaning formula.
Good Luck, Eddie

Wow! Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, to me.

Would it work to prime coat with Kiltz 1-2-3, then a new white overcoat of enamel or latex? I guess you'd call this "encapsulation".

I often wish they would make these things so you could clean them out with a pressure washer.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I also used TSP, Formula 409, bleach solution and a hose. Then paint.