Storage points - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #1

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
California
Storage points

Okay, I finally got the slab poured (a nightmare for sure) and now I'm ready to park my 2019 13' Scamp on it, where do I put the jacks to support the frame and relieve the load on the torsion axle?
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
Okay, I finally got the slab poured (a nightmare for sure) and now I'm ready to park my 2019 13' Scamp on it, where do I put the jac's to support the frame and relieve the load on the torsion axle?

Given that the torsion axle lasts for decades, I'd save my money and energy.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I’d put 4 under the trailer. Under the frame rails about a foot
Each direction from the axle.
I would be careful to just relieve some weight
And not necessarily lift the tires completely off the paving but I would
Put a board under each wheel so offgassing lime in the new concrete did not contact the tire surfaces. I’d put the corner jacks down too. I’m old school and YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:41 AM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
Okay, I finally got the slab poured (a nightmare for sure) and now I'm ready to park my 2019 13' Scamp on it, where do I put the jacks to support the frame and relieve the load on the torsion axle?
Step three in the old winterizing instructions. Jacks go under the frame just behind the axles.
Attached Thumbnails
WINTERIZING 1996.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The reason for using 4 jacks is to avoid putting extra load on the tongue jack. The two jacks in front of axle carry some of that load.

Totally agree not jacking it "up" but just taking some weight off so the wheels drop a touch lower.

Tongue jack is essentially a threaded rod going through a nut welded in place. The nuts can and do break free. Makes not picking up the back and tipping a lot of weight on the front jack a good idea.

One can also possibly use jack stands forward of axle and jacks to the rear to take weight off without dumping it on the tongue jack. This type work well. No idea of this specific items quality but this type are useful for storage and what I use for stabilizing trailer when parked and in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Dumble-Stabil...ct_top?ie=UTF8
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I use two jack stands on the frame right behind the axle. I lift the wheels all the way off the ground (my preference; allows me to turn them for inspection, remove them to rotate wheels, grease bearings, adjust brakes- or whatever, without moving anything). I also deploy the rear stabilizers and keep the tongue jack down. It’s supported on five points, with most of the weight on the jack stands near the axle, as should be. Very solid, no bounce or flex.

I could see using an extra pair on a 16'er, but it seems like overkill on a 13'er.

I got the two jack stands plus a small floor jack, which makes easy work of lifting onto the stands, for $45 at Walmart.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #7

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Given that the torsion axle lasts for decades, I'd save my money and energy.

Too late, got the slab poured.
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A slab is not necessary to store or support the trailer- you could just as easily put the jack stands on flat pavers. But the slab will prevent mud splash up, it will be more pleasant to work on the underside (not for a while, I hope!), possibly reduce moisture underneath, and it might even deter mice and other critters, which don't like to run across open, unprotected spaces. I have mine on a slab, remnants of an old garage, and I like it. Enjoy!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #9

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Simple truth. Just take a little weight off of the wheel. Job done.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp